Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can i feed my leopard gecko repashy's new grub pie as mostly a staple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i feed my leopard gecko repashy's new grub pie as mostly a staple?

Well i'v tried my best to see if they can eat this as a staple and occasionally feed live insects,but im not too sure.
    Repashy is a very well respected and popular company, and i dont think they would lie about if there food can be used as a staple, it says that its a meal replacement gel for "Insectivorous Species of Reptiles and Amphibians. Great for Bearded Dragons, Skinks, Dwarf Monitors, Salamanders and more"
    I have seen several videos of leopard geckos trying it and eating it with quite a bit of enthusiasm.
    I just wanted to get your all's opinions on it because im new to leopard geckos (havent got one yet but will soon).
    Also repashy re-posted videos of them eating it so if they doing that then shouldn't it be fine?.

Im completely fine with keeping crickets but my mom would rather not, plus the only place that sells crickets in our area is petsmart, which takes about a hour to get too, and she also hates going for some reason.
    I talked to her about it and she says she'd rather see if i could just feed him the grub pie and kind of mix and match with both grub pie and live food.

PLEASE ONLY COMMENT ON THIS IF YOU HAVE ACTUALLY TRIED TO DO RESEARCH INTO THIS PLEASE DONT SPREAD/GIVE ME FALSE INFORMATION CONSIDERING THIS IS WHAT I WILL FEED MY ACTUAL LIZARD.

Honestly, no. They eat based on movement so I doubt that they will willingly eat grub pie and I do not think it will be a healthy substitute for a live insect diet. Roaches are easily kept and bred and can be ordered. The protein amount is considerably high and could cause health issues. This is just my opinion, it's your gecko and you can do as you wish, but I recommend trying to stick with a live insect based diet and to breed feeders.
    “I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?”-The 11th Doctor.
    1.0.0-Leopard Gecko Ziggy
    1.0.0-Crested Gecko Axel-The Frogman
    0.1.0-Guinea Pig Brownie
    Various insect breeding projects-B.dubia, T. molitor, M. quinquemaculata

Comment

Originally posted by Jess Johnson View Post
      Honestly, no. They eat based on movement so I doubt that they will willingly eat grub pie and I do not think it will be a healthy substitute for a live insect diet. Roaches are easily kept and bred and can be ordered. The protein amount is considerably high and could cause health issues. This is just my opinion, it's your gecko and you can do as you wish, but I recommend trying to stick with a live insect based diet and to breed feeders.
      dont know if that other comment i posted posted or not, BUT IGNORE THE LAST PART,
      that was actually the information on the MEAT PIE ONE NOT THE GRUB PIE phew,
      it says
      Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 40%, Crude Fat min. 12%, Crude Fiber max. 15%, Moisture max. 10%, Ash max. 12%, Calcium min. 1.5%.

Are you sure that 40 percent would be too much protein?

Also dont worry, if he doesn't eat it im not going to force feed him or anything hah, it'd just be more convenient with my parents.
      Well i talked to them a long time ago about setting up a small container and having kind of a breeding colony for crickets and she got really upset by that and said i couldn't, so im just looking for other alternatives, if you know any tell me.
      Also i doubt she would let me keep and raise roaches if she acted that way hah.

Comment

Roaches are quiet, do not stink and certain species cannot escape plastic tubs. My husband lets me breed them and he's not fond of the idea but if it makes me happy, he just says whatever.

Never mind about the protein being too much, just looked at a nutritional chart on feeder insects. I have always looked at any gel based diets as a supplement to get them healthy again after an illness or injury and then feed their regular diet. If I gave my leopard gecko something like that, he would look at me like what is this crap? and walk away.

It's hard to substitute a insectivore's diet with a pre-made jelly blob if they are used to eating live foods. It took some work getting one of my carnivorous lizards to eat pre-killed food and I still had to use crickets for him to miss and eat a piece of meat and 6 weeks later he was eating steak and veal like a sir.
        “I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?”-The 11th Doctor.
        1.0.0-Leopard Gecko Ziggy
        1.0.0-Crested Gecko Axel-The Frogman
        0.1.0-Guinea Pig Brownie
        Various insect breeding projects-B.dubia, T. molitor, M. quinquemaculata

Comment

I agree with Jess. Leopard geckos are predators and hunt by being attracted to movement. I don't think that the grub pie would be something your leo would be willing to eat.
          Crickets are a pain, but ultimately I wouldn't put the health of my animals over my own convenience.
          Kelly @ Tree Devil Geckos
          Producing Awesome Leachianus geckos and Gargoyle geckos since 2017
          http://www.treedevilgeckos.com
          http://facebook.com/treedevilgeckos
          http://www.instagram.com/treedevilgeckos

Comment

Feeding live food is also an incredibly important part of enriching your geckos life as well as keeping them active.

I do not believe that ANY 'complete' diets are sufficient, CGD included. You cannot possibly formulate one diet for a variety of species kept in a variety of ways at different life stages and health status's.

I can see how this may be more convenient but you have to think of the gecko at the end of the day.
            Abronia ~ Hemidactylus ~ Hemitheconyx ~ Holaspis ~ Paroedura ~ Phelsuma ~ Tribolonotus ~ Tropidophorus ~ Tropiocolotes

Comment

Working...
            X