Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20 Gallon Paludarium for some kind of gecko?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 Gallon Paludarium for some kind of gecko?

Hi I am a student who is making a paludarium (half water and half land) for a school project. The problem with this is I really want a lizard that meets the following requirements:

-Nocturnal (so no UVB!)
    -Can swim (water is 8 inches deep)
    -Won't eat fish
    -Can live in 20 gallons (essentially 10 with the water)
    -Price does not exceed 30 dollars (I live in Canada by the way)
    -Not a crested gecko (My classroom already has one)

I was thinking of getting a leopard gecko, but they don't really suit the environment well. So I don't really know what lizard to go with. Any suggestions?
    Here is some pictures of the tank: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...1g1aU5IM2F2OGc

Thanks in advance!

I was going to say Chinese water dragon but their dinural and need cages that way exceed 20 gallons and that's too much water for one, I can't think of anything really that would fit that except for some frog species that enjoys swimming like some dart frog species but they need specialized lights and more land than water. A small turtle species would work but again, specialized lighting and a larger cage, I don't think there's anything for that type of cage but I'm not the best out there on reptiles. Definitely not for a crested or leopard gecko, probably not any gecko species at that, a young turtle would work but the dirt wouldn't work as it would just trail into the water and the cage would have to be upgraded in size, I'm honestly stumped for something for that cage as well as almost all reptile species that swim are land oriented but swim on occasion so I don't think anything would work really sorry, I hope someone else can give some good input on that
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Comment

Thank you for giving such a good output in you response. I understand there is not much I can do, but my original plan was to get an American green tree frog which I suspect would work as long as there is a lot of branches and floating plants to help it climb out of the water if it was to drown. Once again, thanks for the response.

Comment

Yeah no problem, tree frog are good but need more height and hanging plants to climb around and hide under
        Sam
        C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1

Comment

Salamanders or Axololts would be good for that.
          “I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?”-The 11th Doctor.
          1.0.0-Leopard Gecko Ziggy
          1.0.0-Crested Gecko Axel-The Frogman
          0.1.0-Guinea Pig Brownie
          Various insect breeding projects-B.dubia, T. molitor, M. quinquemaculata

Comment

What kind of salamanders could work (that can't eat fish)

Comment

Newts may be an option. I had eastern newts before and they would be ok in than kind of environment.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Comment

I see, but would they eat guppies? That is what I am planning to house in the water portion. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Comment

They probably wold not bother adults but any babies they find they would eat if they can catch them. So maybe not the best fit after all.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah I was researching them, and I found that they eat fish, hence I was so sure anymore. I just really want a lizard for it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160229_135642.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1068814

Comment

LIke I said before, all water dwelling reptiles need a much larger enclosure and special lighting and more land unfortunately, axolotols are pretty cool though
                        Sam

Comment

Yeah, I guess I'll just have to go with the green tree frog for now.

Comment

I would add some real water plants to help filter the water and provide oxygen. You can get a florescent light fixture from a hardware store cheaper than an aquarium hood. The bulbs you need for plants are the daylight bulbs with a 6500K temperature since those are the closest to natural sunlight.
                            “I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?”-The 11th Doctor.
                            1.0.0-Leopard Gecko Ziggy
                            1.0.0-Crested Gecko Axel-The Frogman
                            0.1.0-Guinea Pig Brownie
                            Various insect breeding projects-B.dubia, T. molitor, M. quinquemaculata

Comment

I am getting a filter and an aerator, so that won't be much of an issue, and don't plan on adding live plants unfortunately but thanks for the advice anyways

Comment

Working...
                              X