Can u put 2 crested geckos in an 12 12 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can u put 2 crested geckos in an 12 12 18

Can i put crested geckos together in an 121218 enclosure i have a male crested now

If you're talking about adults, that's not big enough for one let alone two
    Abronia ~ Hemidactylus ~ Hemitheconyx ~ Holaspis ~ Paroedura ~ Phelsuma ~ Tribolonotus ~ Tropidophorus ~ Tropiocolotes

Comment

I would say that is much too small for two adults, in my opinion.

If you did house him with another gecko, it would have to be a female and they would breed.

If it is for breeding purposes, she will need to be housed in a separate enclosure for a good portion of the year only keeping them together for a small duration to breed.
      12.18.18 Correlophus Ciliatus
      1.0.0 Eublepharis Macularius

Grim Geckos
      >Instagram<
      >Facebook<

Comment

That's a good size for one adult. However, you would need a larger enclosure if you intend to mate the male to one or two females. But, as previously mentioned, they do need to be separated.

So, the short answer is: no

Comment

only one adult is suitable in that size. I keep my 5 year old gecko in a 12x12x18 and as long as you utilize the space properly it should be good for one, not two

Comment

I honestly don't know how you can justify keeping one adult in a tank that size. I keep micros, klemmeri and vipers in those tanks and they're a fraction of the size of an adult crestie, and still those tanks can seem too small
            Abronia ~ Hemidactylus ~ Hemitheconyx ~ Holaspis ~ Paroedura ~ Phelsuma ~ Tribolonotus ~ Tropidophorus ~ Tropiocolotes

Comment

Originally posted by vgorst View Post
              I honestly don't know how you can justify keeping one adult in a tank that size. I keep micros, klemmeri and vipers in those tanks and they're a fraction of the size of an adult crestie, and still those tanks can seem too small
              I think you're confusing inches with centimeters. We're talking about a 12(inches) wide by 12 deep by 18 tall.

Comment

I have my 5 month old Crestie in a 12x12x18 and she does just fine. I do intend to move her to a larger in the future after we've moved at the end of next month.
                1.2.0 Crested Gecko (Galaxy, Nanner, Haitachi)
                0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Charley)

Business starting in 2017 Awesome Surprises (facebook only atm) breeding Cresties and Gargs! May breed other reptiles and species in the future but for now just going to collect them all!

Comment

No I understand, 1ft x 1ft x 1.5ft. When a crested can potentially reach 8 inches long, you're not giving them much room at all

Originally posted by odduc748 View Post
                  I think you're confusing inches with centimeters. We're talking about a 12(inches) wide by 12 deep by 18 tall.

Comment

It is on the smaller side but it can be done if furnished well.

I keep mine in 60 qt bins though.

This is where "quality of life" comes into play and enclosure size becomes debated.

Can it be done? Yes, in accordance to the Pangea Crested Gecko Care Sheet.
                    Should it be done? I think it might be a bit too small.

So, in these situations, I recommend, if you cannot afford to purchase a bigger glass enclosure, you should modify a plastic bin.
                    12.18.18 Correlophus Ciliatus
                    1.0.0 Eublepharis Macularius

Grim Geckos
                    >Instagram<
                    >Facebook<

Comment

I had a crestie in a 12x12x18 for quite a number of years. It became obvious that the enclosure was too small for this one as he was constantly thumping around in the enclosure (it was planted with a lot of surface area) and trying to get out. Last summer I switched him with my gold dust day gecko who was living in a 24x10x24" enclosure. The gold dust was nearly 11 and didn't move around much anymore. Six months later, the gold dust seems content with the smaller enclosure and the crestie enjoys his larger enclosure and is rarely seen at the door. I would be more inclined to put an adult gargoyle in a 12x12x18 since based on my observations, they aren't nearly as active.

Aliza

Comment

Working...
                      X