Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smaugy
    replied
    Thanks everyone, I have to get them crickets today so i'll look for play sand when i go there and change up their substrate a bit.

Leave a comment:

• vgorst
    replied
    Sand and coco fibre will both easily pass through the geckos digestive system as long as you are providing the correct conditions for the geckos. Reptiles actively consume substrate in the wild to get additional minerals, so is certainly safe for them to ingest.

Personally I would use a mix of play sand and the coco fibre. The mix makes it easier for the animals to dig which is great for any females that may lay. Calci-sand is often what causes the problems (along with bad husbandry). Calci-sand clumps and alters pH levels of the stomach making it difficult to digest. The high calcium content also encourages ingestion which makes the problem worse.

Leave a comment:

• acpart
    replied
    No one keeps hatchling leos on sand but some people keep them on coco fiber. I have one enclosure that uses coco fiber. I think the calci sand is more likely to be ingested and to impact the gecko. People who do keep their geckos on sand recommend play sand.
    Other substrates include paper towel, repti-carpet and, my favorite, ceramic tile (people also use slate but it's kind of heavy).

Aliza

Leave a comment:

• smaugy
    replied
    I have 3 other geckos, a crestie, a sarasinorum and a gargoyle and when I got the leopards, the coconut fiber was what I had readily available. To make a long story short, the place where I got the leopard geckos from, the person handling them wasn't being very nice to them so I bought them so they wouldn't have to go back with that person. Going back to the substrate, I've seen so many bad stories of leopard geckos ingesting the sand and it becoming impacted in their stomachs, it's harmful. But for the other 3 that I have, the coconut fiber is recommended for them, probably because they are able to digest it should they accidentally eat it. If coco fiber is ok for leopard geckos and I can keep them as they are then I will but if there is something that is better suited for them then I'd make sure that I'd get it for them.

Leave a comment:

• vgorst
    replied
    Why is coco fibre alright but not sand seeing as both can be ingested? Reptiles would naturally ingest the substrate in the wild, if you're providing correct temperatures and hydration then them ingesting the substrate won't be a problem.

Leave a comment:

• smaugy
    started a topic leopard gecko substrate

leopard gecko substrate

Hey all, so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what to use for leopard geckos, besides sand. I'd really like to stay away from it because I know they could ingest it. I've heard that they can use walnut shells because if they happen to eat it accidentally then they are able to digest it. I currently have 3 and right now and they are on a very thin layer of cocoa fiber and they're fine, I've had them for 6 months. I don't know if i should just keep them as they are or change them to something better suited for their natural habitat. I'd really like to stay away from sand, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Working...
X