African fat tailed hunger strikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• African fat tailed hunger strikes

I am not too concerned because she seems to do it every year around fall/wintertime, but I'm curious. My fat tailed gecko has been on a hunger strike for about 2 weeks now, eating nothing at all, and only nibbling on crickets for about month beforehand. Her tail is fat still, so she's probably fine for a while, but she has lost a bit of weight. Do your geckos go on hunger strikes (leos included) and if so, how long does it usually last? Do they lose weight, and do you have any tricks to get them out of it?

Sent from my XT1042 using Tapatalk

Also, she's a female, so does it have something to do with their reproductive seasons?

Comment

Mine tend to do the same in the run up to winter, you can try and counteract it by upping the temperature and changing the light cycles but there's usually no harm in letting them get on with it. I've had one go for 6 months without food, lost a few grams then starting feeding again, no harm done. I wouldn't worry unless a significant amount of weight has been lost, but that shouldn't happen during a typical winter cooling
      Abronia ~ Hemidactylus ~ Hemitheconyx ~ Holaspis ~ Paroedura ~ Phelsuma ~ Tribolonotus ~ Tropidophorus ~ Tropiocolotes

Comment

Sounds like winter. I have a lot of fat tails and leopard geckos. Some eat all winter, some hardly eat and some go for months without food. Keep offering and don't worry.

Aliza

Comment

Yeah, I think it's also just the time of year. even if I boost the temps, she won't eat. Oh well, she'll be fine haha

Comment

So, its now January and she still hasn't eaten. She's lost about 10g. Should I be concerned yet or no? Tails still fat so I figure she's fine.

Comment

I do have some geckos that don't eat for up to 6 months. My champion non-eater, who is better now, lost about 20 grams a year every winter and gained it back each summer. If you're concerned it doesn't hurt to find a reptile vet.

Aliza

Comment

I have Fat Tails and Leos as well, and yes, my AFT goes on hunger strikes every year a few times over winter, and my female Leo doesn't eat for about 6-7 months every year. So no, it's not unusual, and as long as your gecko is healthy, she'll be fine.
                ~Cassi

www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography

Comment

Thanks guys. I think she's fine. She always goes on winter strikes, but this is the longest one with the most weight loss so far, so I wasn't sure.

Comment

Working...
                  X