Getting a Leopard Gecko Need Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a Leopard Gecko Need Help!

So I have owned a crested gecko for about a year now and I am interested in getting a leopard gecko. I have been researching around and reading care sheets but there are a few things that confuse me and some answers would be really appreciated. The thing with reptiles are everyone has different opinions. I am fine with that but please only answer my questions if you know what you are talking about. So here they are:

1. I will be feeding my leopard gecko strictly crickets. How often should I dust the crickets with a multivitamin if at all? Some care sheets say once a week others say once every second week.

2. I know I need to dust the crickets with calcium but should I dusk them every feeding? Should I use calcium with or without D3?

3. I am a little confused about feeding the crickets. Can I always feed them the same thing or should I change it up every week so that my leopard gecko will be digesting a variety of food items? What is the difference between gut loading and just feeding the crickets?

4. And finally do I need to mist the leopard geckos tank at all like I do with my crested gecko? How often should I mist the moist container that he will be using for shedding?

If you can answer any or all of these questions it would be greatly appreciated. I don't trust the employees at the pet stores so this is my only way to get answers.
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko

Different people do thing in different ways which is why you read different things. Here's what I do (I've been keeping leopard geckos for 13 years and breeding them for 11):
    I use Repashy calcium plus which has calcium, vitamin D3 and vitamins. I dust the feeders every other feeding (I feed the geckos on Tuesday Thursday and Saturday). They don't need huge amounts of D3 since they are nocturnal like cresties.

I keep the crickets on high quality gut load that I get from pro geckos.com along with water crystals and veggies. Since the crickets always have high quality food I don't worry about gutloading.

Leopard geckos come from a drier climate than cresties so they don't need misting. They do appreciate a humid hide -- plastic container with hole cut in the side and moist paper towels or Eco earth)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Aliza

Comment

Originally posted by acpart View Post
      Different people do thing in different ways which is why you read different things. Here's what I do (I've been keeping leopard geckos for 13 years and breeding them for 11):
      I use Repashy calcium plus which has calcium, vitamin D3 and vitamins. I dust the feeders every other feeding (I feed the geckos on Tuesday Thursday and Saturday). They don't need huge amounts of D3 since they are nocturnal like cresties.

I keep the crickets on high quality gut load that I get from pro geckos.com along with water crystals and veggies. Since the crickets always have high quality food I don't worry about gutloading.

Leopard geckos come from a drier climate than cresties so they don't need misting. They do appreciate a humid hide -- plastic container with hole cut in the side and moist paper towels or Eco earth)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Aliza
      Thanks. How often should I mist the humid hide?
      1.0.0 Crested Gecko

Comment

Working...
      X