new leopard gecko own feeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new leopard gecko own feeding

Hi I just got my first leopard gecko and I like to know if zoo med repti calcium with D3 and rep-cal herptivite with beta carotene multivitamins advanced formulation good for him/her. She/he is a juvenile 5.3grams.

And if so how often should I use them.

Comment

Leave a small bottle cap of calcium without D3 (you'll have to get some of that) in the cage until it becomes a large juvenile (20-25 grams). Dust feeders every other feeding. Alternate the calcium with D3 and the vitamins so one dusting is calcium and the next dusting is vitamins. There is more than one way to do this, so if other people differ, choose an approach that works for you. The main idea is for the hatchling to have access to plain calcium (I have had hatchlings who don't have this access show signs of MBD, but have not had this occur with my adults), and for it to get some supplement but not to overdose on it.

Aliza

Comment

Originally posted by acpart View Post
        Leave a small bottle cap of calcium without D3 (you'll have to get some of that) in the cage until it becomes a large juvenile (20-25 grams). Dust feeders every other feeding. Alternate the calcium with D3 and the vitamins so one dusting is calcium and the next dusting is vitamins. There is more than one way to do this, so if other people differ, choose an approach that works for you. The main idea is for the hatchling to have access to plain calcium (I have had hatchlings who don't have this access show signs of MBD, but have not had this occur with my adults), and for it to get some supplement but not to overdose on it.

Aliza
        Thanks for the help and I feed everyday untile he/she is larger right. And i dusted with calcium with D3 yesterday so I don't dust today, then tomorrow I dust with vitamins. Then the next day I don't dust and then the day after that I use calcium with D3 again is this correct?

Comment

You got it!

Aliza

Comment

Originally posted by acpart View Post
            You got it!

Aliza
            Thanks for the help few more questions. Sorry.

At this size how many crickets will he(tile i now for sure) eat. Just now feed him 6, is this enough?

When he is larger do i keep dusting everyother feeding?

And I ordered some calcium but it might be a few days should I put so of the vitamin power for now? The pet store where live only has some spray bottled calcium.

Comment

The calcium powder can wait till it comes in.
              "Small" crickets should be fine. Start with 4-6 and see how many it eats. Adjust up or down as necessary.
              Every other day dusting is a good permanent routine.

Aliza

Comment

Got it and thank you I really appreciate the help.

Comment

How often should I replace the calcium powder and what can I gutload mealworms with.

Comment

I only keep calcium powder in the cage for my hatchlings, but I guess it's good till it gets finished. You can buy a commercial gut load (I get mine from progeckos.com), get chicken mash or make your own by putting grains and cereal (not the really sweet kind) in the blender to powder them.

Aliza

Comment

Hello again I've had my leo snappy for about a month, he was about 5.3grams when I got him and now he is about 18grams. Should still feed every day and when he is full grown how often should i feed.
                      Oh and when can I tell gender.

Comment

At 18 grams, I feed about 3 times a week. You may or may not be able to tell gender. Take a look and see if you see pores and bulges.

Aliza

Comment

So would monday, wedseday and friday be good feeding days and should I dust every feeding or still evey other feeding.

Comment

Mon, wed, fri is fine. I feed Tues, Thurs and Saturday. Dust every other feeding.

Aliza

Comment

Working...
                            X