Finally got my Tokay...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got my Tokay...

yey! My little beasty should be here tomorrow... it's at a friend's house at the moment (they picked it up for me). And I could've waited until tomorrow to do all of this, but I'm too excited!! Heh!

I've wanted a Tokay ever since I discovered Cresteds, but I don't like to support WC in all species (especially when it isn't necessary) and it took me awhile to find some healthy CB that were local to me. Sooo... my little
    ...not so little... beasty will be here tomorrow, hopefully. And maybe some pics, too. I dunno about the pics for sure (my digcam is acting goofy since my pc upgrade)

I'll tell ya his name tomorrow, too... hehe
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

It took almost a week to arrange for pick up, but I really do have my Tokay now. Camera is still wonky, so no pics just yet... sorry.

I'm a little confused about my Tokay's behaviour. LOL It didn't bite me. It didn't even TRY to bite me. It didn't bark at me either. It never even opened its mouth to threaten me. It sat on my hand and looked at me. It watched me while I drove home. It watched the whole time I was putting finishes up on its new viv... 20gR turned vertically with live plants and lots of cork bark and driftwood stuff.

When I opened the deli cup and reached in to pick it up, it crawled up on my hand and looked at me. I rubbed the top of its head and ran my finger down its back... it just sat there.

Is my gecko okay? Could it be a leopard gecko in disguise? I am half way seriously worried that something is not right with this little guy. He looks fine. He's eating. His temps are good. He changed from a nice dark smokey, grey with deep coral colored spots to his lighter turquoise coloring and bands on his tail (without any environmental changes) and he's hiding in a plant right now. He did finally give one little snippy bark at me when I put him on a branch in his new viv, but that was it.

Could it be that I have a freak Tokay? I mean, I am happy that he didn't try to tear my fingers off or draw blood by latching on for dear life... but I am a little worried.

*I'll get pics as soon as I can... promise.
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

Can't really help you out, but you are lucky! I want one, actually a pair, so bad! I wouldn't mind the aggressiveness. Honestly, I'm tired of the "Sweet-Handleable" lizards...I want something that acts like it is wild. I don't know, I'm weird. lol but post pics soon! And what's his name?
      3.6.3 Crested Geckos
      0.0.1 Bearded dragon
      0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
      0.0.1 Axolotl
      1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
      Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

Comment

I know exactly what you mean... "something that acts like it's wild"... heh! I have too many Cresteds and I love them all, but a few of the adults that I acquired as adults are just "too tame"? I dunno. It seems unnatural for them to be so tame and calm. Lucille even eats off a spoon while sitting on my hand... she actually prefers all of her meals this way, but I'm not falling for it. Haha! They spoiled her in more ways than one, definitely.

Get a couple of Tokays!! They are amazingly beautiful and their supposedly "fiesty" behaviour is a challenge, for sure.... I've been told this, anyhow They were actually the first gecko I ever wanted and it took me this long to find a CB baby. Now, I know of a couple of different folks CB'ing them, if you're interested.

I named this little fella after my friend that picked him up for me... only the Arabic version of it... so, Dawud; but I will be calling him, "habibi" cuz I wanted him to have a syrup'py sarcastic name to go against his not so sweet disposition... and now it seems the "joke's on me" but his name stays.
        (Habibi is a term of endearment, kind of like "love" or "lover", in Arabic. Funny thing is, I don't even call my hubby this... just my lizard! Hahaha)

Looks like I'm gonna have to borrow a digcam to get any pics of anyone... I can't figure out why my software won't load correctly on my upgraded pc.
        Last edited by AneesasMuse; 12-27-2006, 01:46 AM. Reason: my grammar is terrible and it's a PEEV on top of it all

Comment

Yeah! My male adult crestie can be a bit "Bitey" but not too bad. Darnit...lol!

I'll definitely get some in the future. I would right now if I had room. My cousin just got a marbled gecko, which is supposedly similar to the Tokays. He/She DOES bite. lol, but VERY pretty.

I like the name. It's cute! I think my boyfriend gets jealous of my lizards sometimes...lol!

PICS PICS PICS!!
          3.6.3 Crested Geckos
          0.0.1 Bearded dragon
          0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
          0.0.1 Axolotl
          1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
          Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

Comment

Well, it seems that little "habibi" will have his joke after all... he is settling in just fine and he barked a warning at me tonight when I was feeding him. I was a little worried that something could be wrong with him, by his "too calm" dimeanor, but he is proving his "tokay'ness" after all. LOL
            When I reached for him... with a gloved hand ...he scrambled away and gave me the look of death...... "don't make me bite you, lady!" I decided to let him be for tonight, but after he's had time to get really acquainted with his new home I'll start to work with him. I don't want a "tame" Tokay, but I would like to be able to do maintenance and that when needed without having the first aid kit handy every time.

Comment

I've been BIT!! My Tokay IS a Tokay, after all!!
              Mr. Habibi tried his best to hide and then "scare" me off with all that cute 'baby barking', but I wouldn't take no for an answer. I've been letting him settle in for a few days now, and he never seemed to move from one spot... I needed to inspect him. He didn't like my intrusion and he bit me a few times

Yeyyyy!!! Habibi is "normal"!

Comment

Working...
              X