Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crested Vet - Bearded Newb

Hi All,
    Been away for a while and now that we have a new addition I find myself back here for information. Pangea forums have always been my go to source for learning about geckos. Now, I have a new species to enquire about; Bearded Dragons. Today, at the Reptile Super Show we adopted this little guy: http://imageshack.us/photo/photo/690/yhwr.jpg/
    His name is Charmeleon and he is my little (by little, I mean 21 y.o) brother's baby. We both have had our fair share of reptiles, but never beardies. So, we would greatly appreciate a reply with a quick guide to lighting and temps. When All the opinions and facts are so jumbled when it comes to these subjects. We wanted to get the info from real lizard lovers and experienced owners.
    Thanks guys, I look forward to your replies and getting back into the swing of Pangea. I've missed it.
    Skarah 1.2.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus: Tortellini. Voluta, Fiori. Keeto.
    1.0.0 P. guttatus: Mais.
    2.0.0 Iranian plateau Felis catus: Umbreon, Espeon
    0.1.0 Rattus norvegicus: Bux.
    1.0.0 B. splendens (elephant ear): Gyrados
    0.0.1 Pogona vitticeps: Charmeleon

Forget how little they are when they are young.

Just to give you a quick rundown...

Lighting: They absolutely require a good UVB light for the production of Vitamin D and calcium absorption. Do not bother with the coil lights, though they are cheap they do not produce much usable UVB. A good linear fluorescent tube is best. If you have the money, the new High Output T5 lights by either ZooMed or Arcadia are the best there is. These lights give off great UVB up to 2 feet. If you buy either, do try to make sure and get a reflector with the fixture as this will boost the UVB output quite a lot. If you are not able to pay the bit extra for the T5s, you can use the normal T8 style of fluorescent bulbs, but just need to make sure that the basking spot is within 12-15 inches from the bulb. Again, ZooMed or Arcadia are the brands to go with as the other brands are generally poor producers and do not last very long at all. (remember just because it is producing light does not mean it is producing UVB light). You can also use MVB style bulbs, with the best brands being MegaRay or Arcadia. These lights need to be around 18-20" from the basking spot. They produce a lot of heat though, so just be aware if that is the route you are going.

As for temperatures, you are looking for a basking spot of between 105-125 F and a cool end of around 75-80 F. The basking spot can be achieved with just a simple flood light, no fancy reptile light required. Depending on the distance from the fixture to the basking area, most people use 50-75 watt bulbs. These temperatures should be measured with a digital thermometer or infrared temp gun (Im sure you are aware that the little dial ones can be off by quite a bit sometimes). Its usually a good idea to use a thermostat with the basking bulb, the dimmer type of stat. Put the probe on the cool side so that if the bulb starts to compromise the cool side, it dims the basking light. Set the probe to 80 F and you should be good.

Have you got the food sorted out yet? Happy to go over that too if you need help at all.

Comment

Yeah. Feeding is new territory as well as the breeder we got him from mentioned something about "bathing" & we are trying to figure out the water situation. Just wanna make sure he is fed and hydrated. Thank you so much for your help. @jarich
      Skarah 1.2.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus: Tortellini. Voluta, Fiori. Keeto.
      1.0.0 P. guttatus: Mais.
      2.0.0 Iranian plateau Felis catus: Umbreon, Espeon
      0.1.0 Rattus norvegicus: Bux.
      1.0.0 B. splendens (elephant ear): Gyrados
      0.0.1 Pogona vitticeps: Charmeleon

Comment

Have actually been looking into getting one of these myself! So thanks for the info as well! Always loved how expressive these guys are. My brother in law had one I took care of while he was away. He had me feed it a few crickets every other day and kale greens mixed with carrot strips on the other days (correct me please if I am off at all). He also had a large reptile bowl of water in his enclosure I would sometimes find him soaking in.

I read online that repti-sand is not good for them? What substrate is best?
        5.3 Cresties :: 1.0 Bernese Mountain Dog :: 0.1 Maine Coon Cat

Comment

Working...
        X