Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I Put 2 Male Cresteds with a female?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Put 2 Male Cresteds with a female?

I was wanting to possibly breeding and I was wondering if I could put 2 males with a female. I have had those 2 males together without a female for over a year and they are 100% fine. But I am concerned about what could happen if i put them with a female.

Originally posted by Brownsfan33 View Post
    I was wanting to possibly breeding and I was wondering if I could put 2 males with a female. I have had those 2 males together without a female for over a year and they are 100% fine. But I am concerned about what could happen if i put them with a female.
    Short answer: No.

You're extremely lucky those males haven't been fighting.
    Honestly if they are mature adult males, they are probably stressing one another somewhat, even to a small degree despite that aren't fighting, they may have just established territory well and try to avoid each other.

Adding a female in the mix for them to give them more reason to fight will most likely not end well though.

Besides, if you're breeding wouldn't you prefer to know which male is the father of the offspring? I know when purchasing geckos it is always a bonus to know who both the mother and father are.
    www.Gracious Geckos.com
    Specializing in (but not limited to) R. auriculatus!
    Facebook!

Comment

Are one of these males the same on you're referring to in your other thread about his legs being so skinny? If that is indeed the case I wouldn't be too surprised if there is some bullying going on...
      1.0.0 Leopard Geckos (Odie)
      0.1.1 Crested Geckos (Zero, Unnamed)
      1.0.0 Cat (Charlie)

Comment

Originally posted by MistyC View Post

Honestly if they are mature adult males, they are probably stressing one another somewhat, even to a small degree despite that aren't fighting, they may have just established territory well and try to avoid each other.

Adding a female in the mix for them to give them more reason to fight will most likely not end well though.

Besides, if you're breeding wouldn't you prefer to know which male is the father of the offspring? I know when purchasing geckos it is always a bonus to know who both the mother and father are.
        I agree... The short answer is no. I understand that they are fine now, but if you put in a female, there will almost certainly be fighting.
        Mary Frizzell
        Check out my Facebook page at "Good Luck Geckos"

Comment

Originally posted by Duster View Post
          Are one of these males the same on you're referring to in your other thread about his legs being so skinny? If that is indeed the case I wouldn't be too surprised if there is some bullying going on...
          Both of them has skinny legs like that I just put a thread on one of them so i wouldn't confuse people. They are actually the same size and body type so I made it sound like one.

Comment

Originally posted by MistyC View Post

Are you saying that i should take them apart later even when there is no female? Can i take one, put it with the female, have them mate, then put him back with the other male?

Comment

Hormones are a dangerous game to play with.
              Just keep them all separated. Period.
              Better safe than sorry.
              Kendyl

3.5.20 New Caledonian Geckos
              0.0.1 Boas | 1.1.0 Pythons | 0.0.2 Tarantulas

Brookshire Exotics | iHerp | Facebook | Fauna BOI |

Comment

I had to males together when I got them. noooooo problems. I then separated them because two boys should not be together.. Then I put a female in the cage next to them. (girl)(male1)(male2)Was not the best enclosures, Male two, on the way to the girl, got into male ones enclosure and killed him, then went on to the female. I would not keep males together if there is a female. I would never put a male back with an other male, if I put one with a female. Harmones get going and they just react natually
                Roxanne
                and the zoo
                www.geckoluv.com

Comment

I'm all for "no" on this one.

If you are worried about their weight in another thread and how they are looking, why are you planning on breeding them? Make sure your boys are both healthy before you introduce a girl. And also make sure your girl is of good weight and healthy enough to handle a full season of laying eggs. Making babies is not easy on their bodies. Those boys'll go on a hunger strike and only be thinking about mating, thus losing weight themselves, not to mention beating on each other. I'd advise to separate your boys and make sure they are healthy, eating well, a good weight (get yourself a scale to take weights so you know for sure) before you introduce an equally healthy girl.

Good luck! Asking questions is good! But be sure you have all your bases covered before you decide to breed.

Comment

Working...
                  X