Introducing two Tokays to each other...how best to go about it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing two Tokays to each other...how best to go about it

I've got a male and female Tokay, currently housed separately, that I'd like to keep in one terrarium (assuming they'd get along). I know how to introduce leopard geckos to a new tankmate, is the process similar for Tokays? My worry is that neither is particularly easy to catch, so if I do just toss one into the other's tank and see the beginnings of a fight, I won't be able to prevent it fast enough.

Would it be enough to confine one to a deli cup and put in the other's tank to see how each would react? If so, which sex belongs in the cup and which should remain free range?

First off, how much do they weigh and how old are they?
    19.21.10.45 Tokay Geckos: Normals, Granites, Patternless, Calico/Pieds, Hets, & Unproven Aberrants
    7.6.0.16 Other Gekko species *** 1.1 Leachianus *** 5.10.7 Geckolepis maculata & typica Fish Scaled Geckos *** 1.0 CB Knight Anole
    1.2 Pachydactylus tigrinus *** 1.0 Pyxie Frog *** 10 Tarantulas & 1 Jumping Spider
    www.SpottedScales.com *** Spotted Scales FB

Comment

The female(?, more on that momentarily) is ~45g, I haven't weighed the male, but he is obviously the bigger one.

I have no estimates on age; I got each of them from chain pet stores at their current length, then fattened them up with proper nutrition.

More on the female: I see no pores or bulges around "her" vent, however, she's the only one that makes any calls at night whatsoever. The big male is quiet (but very inquisitive, he's the one that I think is trying to lure my hand into his tank for a snack) and doesn't mind people being in the room, the female is the vocal one and hides whenever people are around.

Comment

I should add that I'm not planning on putting them together until at least they're compatible weights and sizes, I'm just doing my homework.

Comment

I just put mine together, never did anything special. I've added males to female's tanks, females to male's tanks, and both to a new tank at the same time. Only one male didn't like a female and I had to remove her the next morning, and only one other pair did the female decide after a few months that she hated the male and started attacking him. You just have to keep an eye on them regardless. If they are quickly hiding together when they have multiple places to choose from, I would say they are fine, but if you notice them seeming to avoid each other completely then I would split them again. Also monitor that both are getting enough to eat because I have found some females won't come out of hiding much while the male ends up getting most of the food.
          19.21.10.45 Tokay Geckos: Normals, Granites, Patternless, Calico/Pieds, Hets, & Unproven Aberrants
          7.6.0.16 Other Gekko species *** 1.1 Leachianus *** 5.10.7 Geckolepis maculata & typica Fish Scaled Geckos *** 1.0 CB Knight Anole
          1.2 Pachydactylus tigrinus *** 1.0 Pyxie Frog *** 10 Tarantulas & 1 Jumping Spider

Comment

The female hiding and the male getting all the food sounds JUST like my two. I'll keep an eye on them once (if) they do end up sharing space.

Comment

I missed that you replied twice the first time. The female calls at night? They only make sounds when agitated or threatened. You also won't see bulges on a Tokay like you would Cresteds. I'm not so sure the young one isn't a male. I have a male with smaller pores than two females I got around the same time so occasionally pores lie, but the vocalization is a pretty solid indicator.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure the smaller one isn't a young male, though the size and pore size say otherwise. He/she also doesn't do the usual "to-KAY" call; I've been trying to get a recording of the call, but every time I hear it and get my phone, he/she is done calling for the night.

It would be my luck to end up with a monster, quiet male and a much smaller, but vocal male.

Comment

Well there are actually 3 parts to a Tokay's call and I've had males that did some parts, but not others.

Comment

Working...
                  X