Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Adventure- Mountain Horned Dragon

I have to call this fate...

A few months ago when I convinced my Boyfriend to let me get a reptile I had my heart set on the very friendly Mountain Horned Dragon at work. By the time my Boyfriend debated and said yes to letting me get him, he had been sold! We ended up getting a Crestie instead, who my Boyfriend adores, and then we slowly acquired another Crestie, a Garg and an ill African Fat Tail Gecko.

At work the other day the Mountain Horned Dragon was returned because he wasn't eating. Our return policy is only for 14 days and it had been almost 2 months! So the people just gave him to us. He ate that day, but looked like he hadn't shed in the whole 2 months he was out of our care... poor guy clearly wasn't taken care of properly!

Now that he is back in tip top shape I am taking him home! It's fate. He came back to me! He will be living in a 30 gallon tall tank, with paper towel as substrate for now, he has a reptile hammock, water fountain, 2 logs, an awesome upright branch for climbing, some fake plants, a large vine and a fake branch! He will be living like a king More importantly is that he will have a proper setup. I bring him home tonight! Along with a stronger basking bulb. Expect pictures
    0.0.2 Gargoyle Gecko (Ghost & Buster)
    5.3.1 Crested Geckos (Rupert, Percy, Phillip, Pox, Jekyll, Reesie, Jelly, Olive & Crimson)
    0.0.1 African Fat Tail Gecko (Norman)
    0.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Boo)

great to hear he's finally coming home with you. I await pictures with baited breath!
    2.5.1 leopard geckos, 1.1 bearded dragons, 1.1 crested geckos, 0.1 Madagascar day gecko, 1.1 tokays, 1.0 cave racer, 1.1 corn snakes, 1.1 northern pine snakes, 1.0 royal python, 1.1 Everglades rat snakes, 1.0 gargoyle gecko.

https://www.facebook.com/SwampysReptiles

Comment

Thanks! He will be home with me later tonight
      Pictures will be posted ASAP
      5.3.1 Crested Geckos (Rupert, Percy, Phillip, Pox, Jekyll, Reesie, Jelly, Olive & Crimson)

Comment

Love it when things go as they are meant to! Congrats, and I look forward to the pics!

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
        1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

I love Mountain Horneds. They are awesome personable little guys!

But...pics or it didn't happen
          "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Comment

Mountain Horns are awesome! They are one of my favorite herps and Im sure you'll love him.

I DO recommend getting him dewormed as almost all of the MHD's available today are WC. This could be one of the reasons he's not eaten much or put on weight. Grab some cat/dog panacur tablets, grind them up, and dust on crickets.
            Cloud9reptiles.com
            Facebook

Comment

He ate fine at the store! He was such a piggy haha. They think it was due to improper humidity, he clearly has a lot of skin he still needs to shed. Posting pictures soon!

Comment

Sorry for the awful pictures! I am trying to let him settle in He LOVES his waterfall!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000093.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1060964Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000094.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1060965Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000095.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1060966

Comment

Yay! Pics! He looks gorgeous!
                  2.5.1 leopard geckos, 1.1 bearded dragons, 1.1 crested geckos, 0.1 Madagascar day gecko, 1.1 tokays, 1.0 cave racer, 1.1 corn snakes, 1.1 northern pine snakes, 1.0 royal python, 1.1 Everglades rat snakes, 1.0 gargoyle gecko.

https://www.facebook.com/SwampysReptiles

Comment

If anyone keeps these guys let me know! I want to make sure his setup is correct:
                    30 Gallon Tall Tank
                    85-90F in the basking area
                    UVB light right next to basking light
                    Night light for at night to keep it around 70F
                    Waterfall for moving water
                    Humidity is between 60-90% at all times
                    Branches to climb, reptile hammock, log, branch for basking, 2 half logs and a bendy vine

Last night when I put him on the vine he stayed there. When I checked on him this morning he was sitting on his waterfall. He hasn't moved from the waterfall all day! I decided to put him on the reptile hammock under the basking light and he didn't even move from the position he was in when I set him there...so I moved him back to his waterfall. I am just going to leave him for a few days, try feeding him and see if he moves....yikes!

Comment

Oh he's cute! I'm glad he came home to you!
                      1.0.0 R. auriculatus - Quinn
                      1.0.0 C. ciliatus - Good Hank
                      1.0.0 Mutt - Waldo
                      1.2.0 Cats - Oliver, Dharia and Chloe
                      iherp.com/sarahberry

Comment

Thanks! I just hope he starts being a tad more active, and will eat....yikes

Comment

As Ashley (Cloud9) said... deworm asap!
                          Mike
                          www.dragontownreptiles.com

Comment

Oooh MHD! I love these little guys. I have kept a few, mostly just raising them up before passing them on to experienced herp homes. They're delicate animals, almost always WC, and they often refuse to eat or become overwhelmed with a parasite load or improper care. They're not an easy animal, but are incredibly rewarding if you get it right.

Here's my two cents:

First off, that waterfall looks pretty, but I would remove it. Those things are notorious bacteria traps, and for a sickly underweight animal, you are playing a high risk to keep it around. I never like those expensive bastards; they're not designed well and they don't make them easy to sanitize. For my MHDs I always used a large ceramic dish, or something else very easy to clean, usually close to 12-18" across to allow for maximum lizard usage, with an airstone or a small filter/bubbler running in it to agitate the water. You can also very easily make a waterfall built into your habitat; there are tutorials online. Basically you use aquarium tubing and a small outside reservoir.

I would also allow for the humidity to drop to 40-50% and only bring it back to 80%, because you don't want to encourage mold and/or respiratory infections. In a glass tank, that's an easy thing to overshoot. What's your humidity gauge? If it's a stick-on, go for a digital one instead.

Secondly, DEWORM DEWORM DEWORM. You can get Panacur at most feed stores and it is fairly simple to do yourself, although if you have a good herp vet, they can also easily do it and that's the best course of action. He is underweight, severely so, and before attempting a weight gain diet, he needs immediate treatment.

And thirdly, a 30g is not going to cut it for long! MHDS are active and curious animals, and require at least 4'x2'x2' enclosures. Even as juveniles, they need more space than most people would think, and I found that my aquariums, even 55s or 40g breeders, were not enough space to keep them from getting stressed and refusing to eat. I kept my juveniles in the 36"x 18" x 36" or 36" x 18" x 24" exos, and that seemed to do well before transitioning to adult housing. As adults, they benefit from a large, heavily scaped and/or planted (though they will wreck some plants) enclosure with a handmade waterfall (plus my friend always added a humidifier to his adult enclosures) and lots of different hides, with varying levels of basking areas. They are super climbers, and it's not uncommon for them to utilize more height than floorspace.

Good luck! MHDs are difficult to keep but hopefully with some love and tender care you can nurse this one back to recovery!
                            3.8.0 C. ciliatus , 1.1 G. vittatus , 0.1 G. gekko , 2.0 F. pardalis ambilobe, 1.0 C. calyptratus, 0.1 P. grandis, 1.0 P. curtus

Comment

Gorgeous creature, never saw one of these before! Nice

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
                              1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

Working...
                              X