Oscar - not "just" an Anole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar - not "just" an Anole

I have always loved these little guys. He's pretty spoiled, set up in an Exo Terra with redbud branches and a couple of fake but realistic looking plants. I named him Oscar. <3

~ Dorothy ~

4.7 Crested Gecko ~ 2.0.1 Chahoua ~ 0.1 Gargoyle
    1.2 Leopard Gecko ~ 1.0 Bearded Dragon ~ 1.1 Pictus
    1.0 Anole ~ 1.0 Box Turtle ~ 1.0 Tree Frog

What what a spoiled Anole! This was my first pet lizard growing up. Back then lighting wasn't something that was big, and I didn't know much at 10 either. I can remember heating a rock in a sinkful of hot water and the lizard sleeping in a doll house bed!
    ~JEN~
    0.0.1 Rachodactylus Auriculatus "Gilligan"
    1.0.0 Very Spoiled Guinea Pig

Comment

What a beautiful little guy! Definitely an underrated animal.
      3.8.0 C. ciliatus , 1.1 G. vittatus , 0.1 G. gekko , 2.0 F. pardalis ambilobe, 1.0 C. calyptratus, 0.1 P. grandis, 1.0 P. curtus

Comment

I could totally see Oscar sleeping in a dollhouse bed! He is that smart. That is what caught my eye, his attention to detail and surroundings. He reminds me of a beardie that takes in their surroundings.

I was at Petco buying crickets and was holding the bag in my hand, when I walked to their reptile display to just take a look. Oscar was sitting there watching me, his eyes following my every movement. Then he spied the crickets and a little lizard dance began. I fell in love with him and had to bring him home.

He has done really good thus far. I've only held him long enough to treat him for mites (probable, as I'm sure he's most likely wild caught) and then again to move him to his enclosure. I need to have his fecal checked to rule out parasites. I also need to weigh him. No easy task with this kind of gecko, lol.

Catching him obviously is the challenge. I've found that I can catch him up pretty easily by gently pinning him against the side of the tank and then he wriggles his way into my hand. Then it's just a matter of grasping him without squeezing his tiny body.

Taking photos was tricky. Thankfully he held somewhat still in a critter keeper. Photos were snapped uber quick as I did not want him to escape. I'm actually surprised that the pictures came out so nicely.

Oscar is not overly flighty and mostly holds his ground if I don't move around too quickly in his cage. If I get closer than he likes, he'll scootch sideways until he feels the proper distance has been reached.

My husband thinks I'm nuts. He is probably right.
        ~ Dorothy ~

4.7 Crested Gecko ~ 2.0.1 Chahoua ~ 0.1 Gargoyle
        1.2 Leopard Gecko ~ 1.0 Bearded Dragon ~ 1.1 Pictus
        1.0 Anole ~ 1.0 Box Turtle ~ 1.0 Tree Frog

Comment

I mean no dis-respect to you at all because he is a good looking little fella but its hard for me to see these guys as pets. I grew up in Florida and they where EVERYWHERE!!! It irritates me seeing them sold for $10 or more at local pet shops just because I know I can walk out in my back yard and catch 20-30 within a good hour.

I have found some that where absolutely stunning before though, I will say that. You can find them with blue markings and I have even seen some purple in them as well.

Comment

I think you can bet that the price of anoles has more to do with the cost of transporting, caring for, and housing them separately than it does the effort to capture them. If you are willing to buy "feeder grade" anoles, they can be had in bulk for approximately a dollar each.

Congrats to the OP on your new anole! Its always good to see one in a nice setup. They're cool little animals, and their abundance in some areas (and low resulting price) does not detract from their value as a pet in any way.

Comment

Working...
            X