Got a brooks gecko.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a brooks gecko.

So I was at my local pet store the other day and saw a brooks gecko (Hemidactylus brookii) I decided to get it because it was just so stinking cute. I know they're very common but I just love how cute it is haven't thought of a name yet but here's a photo!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1085510
    <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
    My iherp
    Bunches of critters.

It is cute!
    Honestly I have never seen these before. Is that one full grown?
    0.2.2 Crested geckos- Nox, Vesper, Ghidorah, Pitaya
    2.0 Gargoyle geckos- Ridley and Serris
    1.0 Rosy boa- Mojave
    1.0 Leachianus- Helios
    0.0.1 Japanese Toad- Fushigibana
    A ton of bugs

Comment

We don't have geckos in Ohio, so... every species is a special species to me!
      Is that aka Bibron's gecko or house gecko? Do they have morphs???

s/he is cute. Looks like sandy gravel. Sandy!
      1♂ 1♀ 6? Crested Gecko; 1♂ Eastern Kingsnake; 1♀ Western Hognose Snake; 1♀ mutt hound dog, Gerdie; 3 Lepidodactylus lugubris

Comment

Soli: I'd never seen one before either! They're super easy to take care of. No lights needed, about the same humidity as cresties, somewhat handleable and they eat crickets and roaches

The guy at the pet store said this one is full grown. I'd like to get another one to put with him/her when I find out a little more about their care. He was only $12 lol

Jatbi: they're a Brooks house gecko. I don't really know if they have morphs but the guy at the pet store said they change colors to go with their environment. I haven't seen any color change yet tho. He/she is really neat feeling kinda bumpy like sand or gravel and very fast! Lol
        <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
        My iherp
        Bunches of critters.

Comment

We have 3 types of house geckos in the area, I have no idea what types but they are underrated as far as recognizing people. One type does look like yours. Well, they all look similiar .

For a few yrs I have been leaving a few dozen gut loaded mealworms by the kitchen windowsill around 8pm and a small mob gathers and waits . They do not run and a few I can hand feed, keep in mind they are wild, yet when my wife who rarely feeds them does the same, they SCATTER.

They like night heat and are more active when night temps in low 80s.

I would certainly get a M/F pair if I was keeping them but the females do not seem to particularly care for other females near them when they are resting and males HATE each other.
          I think people mist them to much because the only humid time here is rainy season and even than it gets dry as a bone once the sun comes out.

I would mist twice a day and let it get dry between mistings.

Comment

That is really awesome! I wish we had geckos running around like that here. Are they in your house or outside?

Yeah ive been misting twice a day and the coco fiber he's on is damp but not soaked. I have found a few care sheets on them so far and all had the same minimal info. Thanks for the advice
            <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
            My iherp
            Bunches of critters.

Comment

They are outside , mostly under the backyard "gazebo" awning and behind storm window guards but now and than a baby gets in the house and I catch it and release it outside.
              This is a M/F pair which I often see together.

I am surprised that in S.Cal you don't have geckos .

Click image for larger version

Name:	yard geckos.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1060880

Comment

Woah that's so awesome. We don't have any geckos near me. Or at least not any that I've seen. We have a ton of very dark and ugly looking lizards (well I find them cute but most people don't). I live more inland in so cal so maybe that's why there's none around here. I'm sure that there must be some out there!
                <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
                My iherp
                Bunches of critters.

Comment

Cute lil one! I am also jealous of your wild local geckos! The closest I come to porch friends is the spiders that nest there all summer.
                  1.0.0 R. auriculatus - Quinn
                  1.0.0 C. ciliatus - Good Hank
                  1.0.0 Mutt - Waldo
                  1.2.0 Cats - Oliver, Dharia and Chloe
                  iherp.com/sarahberry

Comment

Originally posted by xxrach View Post
                    That is really awesome! I wish we had geckos running around like that here. Are they in your house or outside?

Yeah ive been misting twice a day and the coco fiber he's on is damp but not soaked. I have found a few care sheets on them so far and all had the same minimal info. Thanks for the advice

There are several species of house gecko living in San Diego. In theory, anyways. The local field herpers have plenty of pictures, but I have never seen one. I have a feeling they may be localized to certain developed areas with pockets of high humidity.

As a kid, we used to catch the little brown alligator lizards, and laugh at how badly we each got bitten.

Comment

That would be awesome to see a gecko next time I'm in SD. My dad has a house there. I live in the Inland Empire area and it's usually always pretty bone dry here!
                      <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
                      My iherp
                      Bunches of critters.

Comment

Originally posted by sarahberry View Post
                        Cute lil one! I am also jealous of your wild local geckos! The closest I come to porch friends is the spiders that nest there all summer.
                        Thank you there's lizards all over the place right now but if you go anywhere close to them they run FAST! My beardie and I always sit out on the porch in the sun and she watches all the lizards run by and bathe near us
                        <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
                        My iherp
                        Bunches of critters.

Comment

Originally posted by xxrach View Post
                          Thank you there's lizards all over the place right now but if you go anywhere close to them they run FAST! My beardie and I always sit out on the porch in the sun and she watches all the lizards run by and bathe near us
                          What type lizards do you have there, imagine skinks and alligator lizards?

Comment

These are the ones I've seen the most of. My boyfriend said he saw a skink the other day and he tried to catch it but had no luck lol. The one I see the most is the western fence lizard.

http://www.californiaherps.com/ident...onlizards.html
                            <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
                            My iherp
                            Bunches of critters.

Comment

Working...
                            X