MBD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBD

Hey all, I am doing a research paper for my A&P class and was wondering what everyones thoughts on MBD, mostly why you think they get it, ways to cure it, steps of preventing it I would like everyones opinions because I need all kinds of different one for my research... thanks for everyones help

This link might help you out a bit: http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...uick-reference
    http://emilyburke.carbonmade.com
    https://www.facebook.com/EmilyBurkeArtwork

Comment

Since calcium increase seems to help reverse a certain amount of the contortions the MBD creates I feel it is a lack of calcium intake. Also, a lack of protein as many geckos get MBD when they are fed only baby food. It's all about balance of diet it seems.

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
      1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

The nutrients lacking or disproportionate in the diet seem to be the biggest factor in MBD. Improper supplementation is common in all sorts of reptiles that don't eat whole vertebrate prey. Vitamin d3 is necessary to absorb calcium and it must be provided in the diet or the reptile should have access to sunlight or a quality UV source. Many people supplement with just calcium and don't have special lighting, so the calcium is not absorbed and excess calcium can disrupt the uptake of other nutrients. This creates systematic problems, not just the typical signs of calcium deficiency.
        Specializing in Crested Geckos
        Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
        Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
        Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

I know most of you don't believe in the pet stores or buying from them (I don't either) but do you think people working at pet stores should be more careful as to who they sell their reptiles to? Do you think there should be more of a screening process like they do for adopting a puppy or kitty? I feel like more people selling reptiles should be asking questions and making sure the people buying really know what they are doing and not just buying a reptile on a whim. I feel like people should be educated better on how to take care of reptiles and even educate themselves, they should be doing research and making the effort so these reptiles can really have a good home!! What are your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Kalbo View Post
            I know most of you don't believe in the pet stores or buying from them (I don't either) but do you think people working at pet stores should be more careful as to who they sell their reptiles to? Do you think there should be more of a screening process like they do for adopting a puppy or kitty? I feel like more people selling reptiles should be asking questions and making sure the people buying really know what they are doing and not just buying a reptile on a whim. I feel like people should be educated better on how to take care of reptiles and even educate themselves, they should be doing research and making the effort so these reptiles can really have a good home!! What are your thoughts?

Ehhhh...I'm on the fence. On one hand, pet stores DON'T screen the people they sell dogs and cats to. Shelters and breeders generally screen...and that's true of all species. So it's not that it's a reptile, it's that it's a pet store. Rescues sometimes over-screen for some things and under-screen for others. I would never be able to get a dog from most rescues because I have an intact dog and don't intend to ever neuter him. However I am way more knowledgeable about dogs than your average pet owner, and I'd make a better home than someone who has all spayed/neutered pets but doesn't know how to properly care for a dog. And yet, the other person would get the dog. Responsible breeders, across ALL species, are the best bet because they breed the highest quality animals, screen the best (and will take all factors into consideration and not blindly mark someone out because of one factor), and they're good at placing the right dog in the right home - for example, Logan was a year old when I got him because that's when his perfect fit came along. Compare that to shelters who throw dogs at anyone who thinks they're cute, and then get the same dogs back in the shelter over and over again because it's a terrible fit. So bottom line is, it's not the screen process that's inherently good or bad, it's the course. If everyone had to get their animals (be it a gecko, a dog, or a horse) from reputable breeders, nobody would end up with an animal that's not a good fit or that they don't know how to take care of - and if they somehow did, the breeder would always be willing to take the animal back.
            1.0.0 Crested Gecko - The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe
            0.1.0 Mouse - Gwyneth
            1.0.0 Smooth Collie - UCh URO1 Moxie's Adamantium Man BN RA CA HIC CGC TT, SD
            1.0.0 Boxer - URO1 Gavroche de la Rue RA CA CGC

The Eclectic Collie

Comment

Working...
            X