Other Gecko's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Gecko's ?

I have two Cresties, I was wondering what other Gecko's eat the same or similar diet that Cresties eat. As in, bugs not imperative.

Most the other Rhacodactylus species, Chahouas, Gargoyles, Leachie's.. can do well on CGD.

But even though its not imperative, I'd still offer acceptable insects for them at least once a week. (if they take to them).

Comment

Can also go with day geckos they have their own version of cgd which is cherry and fig flavor I believe

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
      Gargoyle Gecko 3.1.2, Pygmy Mice (lots)
      Darren http://www.iherp.com/pennhillszoo

Comment

Thank you..........I read up that Gargs and Leachies will do fine and be happy on the Repashy's, but thought that Chahouas were not all that happy when they didnt get bugs too.

Which of the 3 is most happy and accepting of CGD?

Will do some more research and also look up day gecko's

Comment

Be aware: day geckos do need insect prey at least twice a week/once a week in addition to their Repashy DGD, and that's a requirement. Phelsuma can't really live on a powdered diet alone the way cresties can.
          3.8.0 C. ciliatus , 1.1 G. vittatus , 0.1 G. gekko , 2.0 F. pardalis ambilobe, 1.0 C. calyptratus, 0.1 P. grandis, 1.0 P. curtus

Comment

Thank you for the day Gecko info. That rules them out then for any future consideration.

So out of the Leachie, Garg and Chahouas, which would do best and be the happiest on the CGD alone, if any?

Not thinking of present, just storing info for future

Comment

I would rule out the Garg. I've been advised by numerous breeders that they have higher protein requirements and do require a bug component to the diet at least once a week. I was initially feeding mine on CGD alone because she's afraid of crickets, but then she developed a wavy tail, even though she was sufficiently hydrated and eating regularly. Starting feeding her crickets as per advice, and the tail wave disappeared. I now feed her crickets regularly at least twice a week.

I can't really speak for the other Rhacs you mentioned though as I have no experience with them. Although from my understanding, all geckos do benefit from some insect prey once in awhile, even if they can subsist for the most part without. Insects help with overall growth, add variety to the diet, and stimulates the gecko's hunting instinct.
              ~Cassi

www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography

Comment

Thanks,
                I am not in a situation where I am able to feed bugs, which is why I went for the Cresty in the first place. Hospital stays, sometime short and sometimes long are a factor in our lives. Our pet sitter is good at spraying, feeding and making sure the humidity and temps are within range but she draws the line at bugs. So other that give them something on a regular basis that they will really miss if not given at those times I have decided to withhold bugs from their diet altogether.

I was just doing research for any future acquisitions I may make as we really do enjoy our geckos. I like the chubbiness of the leachies

Comment

I have 6 gargs (2 adult and 4 little ones). Only one of my adults (I have had them for about a year and 1/2) will even eat bugs, occasionally and 2 of my little ones will as well. I am feeding CGD only (to my gargs that will have nothing to do with bugs) and they are all doing fine thus far. I wouldn't reccomend Chahouas, without any bug intake, they love/need them the most from my experience. I have 3 leachies (only since March, thus not very experienced with them personally, but I research all of my pets for months before I decide on an addition) and of my three currently only one will eat bugs on occasion.
                  1.0 Dog; 1.0 Leopard Gecko;10.5 Crested Geckos; 1.1Gargoyle Geckos; 1.3 Sarasinorum; 5.3.7PI Chahoua; 2.2 E. Agricolae; 1.1 Nuu Ana, 0.1 Isle E, 0.2 G. Marginata, 1.0 L. Williamsi And interested in a few others

Comment

Originally posted by cassicat4 View Post
                    I would rule out the Garg. I've been advised by numerous breeders that they have higher protein requirements and do require a bug component to the diet at least once a week. I was initially feeding mine on CGD alone because she's afraid of crickets, but then she developed a wavy tail, even though she was sufficiently hydrated and eating regularly. Starting feeding her crickets as per advice, and the tail wave disappeared. I now feed her crickets regularly at least twice a week.

I can't really speak for the other Rhacs you mentioned though as I have no experience with them. Although from my understanding, all geckos do benefit from some insect prey once in awhile, even if they can subsist for the most part without. Insects help with overall growth, add variety to the diet, and stimulates the gecko's hunting instinct.

Gargoyle's do fine without insects. Not all will even take them anyway. It's not a necessity. If you are looking for another gecko similar to cresteds, you can't get any closer than gargoyles really. I think they'd be a great option.

Comment

Chahoua, Gargoyle and Eurydactylodes Agricolae can all be handled and LOVE CGD. If you do not feed insects it takes quite a bit longer for them to fully mature but really its not a Huge issue. Do the feeder insects bother you? (gross you out or you hate the noise?). I read a lot about Day geckos skin being unable to touch without high risk of damaging it , do you guys handle yours or just watch them?

Comment

I stated in an earlier post the reason for the lack of bugs....hospital visits etc....
                        So it seems that Leachies, Gargs, Chahoua's and now Agri's are suitable candidates for a Repashy Crested Gecko diet....this pleases me
                        Just have to do research on those particular ones now and then pick my favorite to concentrate on.

Comment

I would scratch Chahoua
                          They can be very picky with their CGD and many people feel they NEED live feeder insects and not just an all-in-one diet
                          http://emilyburke.carbonmade.com
                          https://www.facebook.com/EmilyBurkeArtwork

Comment

Working...
                          X