No announcement yet.

OK I have a question.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok look to be truthful I'm going to separate the in the next couple of months. And I do understand what you guys ate saying and I thank you also with the house geckos I'm not going to breed them, they are just to fast
    And all I really wanted was some info about the house geckos due to what I have read and I just thought it was a little confusing.
    So I hope everyone will relax and answer the question
    I know that I have 2 males. It just didn't make since for me or at least one article said one thing and another said different.
    Anyway thanks for the help.!
    q
    iHerp page the name is daisys_3299

Comment

To be quite frank, we have answered your questions.

So here is the question is this true and should I put them by their selves because right now they are bunking with my crested boys
      In your original post you never explained that you wanted more info on the animals in question, but rather wanted assurance as to whether or not you should separate them. Everyone that has posted thus far has given exemplary reasons as to why you should separate them immediately.
      I would like to ask this - why have you housed them all together in the first place?
      Was it because it is easier? To save room?

No one here is attacking you or necessarily telling you that you are wrong, we are here to guide others into correct husbandry. I sincerely hope you rethink about "separating in a few months", as it would greatly benefit the animals in question if you would do so immediately. You are responsible for these little lives and they depend on you to keep them safe and thriving, I strongly suggest you rethink your housing arrangements.

In order to answer your new question, it would be helpful if you posted a picture of these "house geckos" or whatever they are so that we can successfully identify them for you and help you further.
      Kendyl

3.5.20 New Caledonian Geckos
      0.0.1 Boas | 1.1.0 Pythons | 0.0.2 Tarantulas

Brookshire Exotics | iHerp | Facebook | Fauna BOI |

Comment

no that is not the question I had posed I was asking about the house geckos and about the sexing toward them since I read that the particular ones I have is that they are born female and pregnant basically.And then I read in other places that its not true. That is what I asked and if you had read the whole original post you would see that. thanks
        P.S. no they are not mourning geckos they are house geckos, next time read the whole thing please

Comment

Originally posted by daisys_3299 View Post
          no that is not the question I had posed I was asking about the house geckos and about the sexing toward them since I read that the particular ones I have is that they are born female and pregnant basically.And then I read in other places that its not true. That is what I asked and if you had read the whole original post you would see that. thanks
          P.S. no they are not mourning geckos they are house geckos, next time read the whole thing please
          Daisys, people did read the whole thing, but the confusion comes in because mourning geckos are the ones which are known to reproduce without a male present. Not house geckos. People just wanted clarification before giving you further advice.
          JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

thank you jaybee at least you gave me an answer, and I'm sorry for the confusion. I just thought that there were 2 different species of house geckos.

Comment

I wanna be fair to the folks that answered - you did ask 2 questions in your first post...

Originally posted by daisys_3299 View Post
              So here is the question is this true
              (Answer is no to parthenogenesis, if they are genuinely house geckos, as far as we know so far)

and

should I put them by their selves because right now they are bunking with my crested boys
              (Answer is yes, they should be by themselves, which many people answered - this applies for any 2 species, whether it's cresteds + mourning geckos, or cresteds + house geckos)

Folks gave you good answers on the second one, the questions were just kind of unclear because house geckos do not reproduce without males present as far as we know.
              JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

Maybe I misread, but your first post implies a two-part question - one in relation to whether the geckos in particular can reproduce on their own, and the second in relation to whether they should be separated from your crestie boys.

Know that people are only concerned about your housing arrangements and your desire to delay separation because if they've witnessed, read, or discussed the same things I have with other breeders, they would know that reptiles don't operate on your schedule. All of your geckos may be perfectly fine to wait it out. Or your smaller ones may become lunch, and your males may get in a scrap that winds up with one or both being seriously injured. Larger reptiles are known for hunting down and attacking/eating smaller reptiles, even of the same species. And even with females where co-habitation can be done with a lot higher success there are still cases where the pairing fails. This is the risk you are taking by waiting. Many people in a situation such as yours don't truly understand the risk, and no one wants you to experience the consequences of housing gone wrong.
                ~Cassi

www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography

Comment

Ok I understand that and I'm waiting because I have a move coming up soon and separating them now wouldn't work out with the move at the same time, so I'm hoping for the move to go fast and then give everybody their space. I don't mean to be snappy but it just felt like I was being attacked for something that I know I'm going to change very soon. I was just wondering about the house geckos and now I know that the one report I read was wrong about the info for this species. I just want to make sure I'm not in for a huge explosion of little guys. And thank you guys for all the help.

Comment

I don't think you'd need to wait til your move is over; reptiles aren't easily stressed by moves the way cats or dogs can be, and most take it in stride. (Unless you have super nitpicky species like me!) If you have a few spare Sterilite containers or a couple Kritter Keepers laying around, I would go ahead and move the crestie boys out and into their own, separate containers now. That way you don't run the risk of someone in the tank deciding to be nasty while you're occupied with moving, and it'll also make them easier and more convenient for you to move with! If cost is an issue, due to your move, Sterilite containers usually don't run more than $5-12 each at Lowe's or Home Depot, and the dollar store ones can work in a pinch, although I know people do have problems with lids not fitting correctly/worry over contaminants from Chinese-made plastic.

While I understand how it is easy to want to bring a little bit of the 'wild' into your home setting in terms of mixed species tanks, it is generally a bad idea for the reasons stated previously. I hope that in the future, when and if you consider housing for another species, that you will remember this thread and keep it single-animal only. Reptiles don't ever really enjoy having a 'companion'; they're definitely not like cats and dogs!
                    3.8.0 C. ciliatus , 1.1 G. vittatus , 0.1 G. gekko , 2.0 F. pardalis ambilobe, 1.0 C. calyptratus, 0.1 P. grandis, 1.0 P. curtus

Comment

Working...
                    X