Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• African Fat Tail Rescue!

Hello Everyone!
    So, I work at Petsmart, and everyone knows I am a sucker for Rescues.... I was asked to take a Fat Tail Gecko, not even a year old, because since he came to us he WILL not eat. They were giving him Carnivore care, which the vet suggested, and then she suggested making a "cricket smoothie" for him.

Since I have gotten him he has eaten the "cricket smoothie" which consists of mashed crickets, water, and a multivitamin or calcium powder. I have also started giving him Repashy mixed with cricket mash or worm mash. Any opinions on this? I know he is primarily an insectivore, but when I was googling force feeding Leopard Geckos an interesting mixture came up for underweight Leopard Geckos. Squash baby food + plain yogurt+ mealworm mash + pedialyte.

Any advice would be fantastic! The vet found NOTHING wrong with him... I have also tried live mealworms and live silkworms with him, which didn't seem to interest him at all. So far he is GULPING down with Repashy with Crickets
    0.0.2 Gargoyle Gecko (Ghost & Buster)
    5.3.1 Crested Geckos (Rupert, Percy, Phillip, Pox, Jekyll, Reesie, Jelly, Olive & Crimson)
    0.0.1 African Fat Tail Gecko (Norman)
    0.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Boo)

Sounds parasitic. Did the vet do a fecal?

Comment

Also, I don't know how common it is with AFT but I've seen a few Leo's that wouldn't hunt with a light on due to eye sensitivity. Is it possible he is blind/sensitive?

Comment

Thanks for the reply! The vet did do a fecal, apparently no parasites. I was also considering an eye issue because he does move a bit oddly! Hoping to take him to the vet in a few weeks, get another fecal done. He has gained some fatness in his tail over the last few weeks (while at Petsmart, as I have only had him since Friday) and apparently he did eat a worm while at Petsmart. Other than that he really does act normal...
        5.3.1 Crested Geckos (Rupert, Percy, Phillip, Pox, Jekyll, Reesie, Jelly, Olive & Crimson)

Comment

You could try holding him and gently pushing a cricket at his mouth. Often they will bite the cricket and then eat it. If that works, you could always try putting him in a fairly small enclosure with dim lights and a few crickets for about half an hour to see if that helps him catch them and eat. Some of my fat tails will eat superworms which more more than mealworms but are not as fast as crickets.

Aliza

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion! This is what we originally tried doing... they tried with crickets at Petsmart, and I have been trying with various worms. I might try with crickets again though! He is currently eating a "cricket gut + repashy smoothie" from a syringe. Which he willingly will eat now! Less force is needed, which is great

Here are a few pics! If anyone could tell me his gender, and what the odd mark is on his belly that would be fantastic!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130325_224238.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1060528

Name:	IMG_20130326_222546.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1060529

Name:	IMG_20130326_222550.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1060530

Name:	IMG_20130326_222601.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1060531

Name:	IMG_20130326_222612.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1060532

Originally posted by acpart View Post
            You could try holding him and gently pushing a cricket at his mouth. Often they will bite the cricket and then eat it. If that works, you could always try putting him in a fairly small enclosure with dim lights and a few crickets for about half an hour to see if that helps him catch them and eat. Some of my fat tails will eat superworms which more more than mealworms but are not as fast as crickets.

Aliza

Comment

Working...
            X