Gecko ID Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gecko ID Assistance

Long story short, this little guy/girl was found by my dad in an electrical box, and a few minutes and quick searching for my kritter keeper and setting up later, s/he's currently in temporarily. What I'm trying to figure out is what specific species.

Pardon the quality. Phone Camera. I'm personally assuming it's a house gecko species since it's one of the only gecko species here in Mississippi.
    And yes, I know taking animals out of the wild is frowned upon. But it wasn't me, and plus, even if he is native, it's way too cold to release him.

Sorry I have no idea what he is but he's beautiful!
    <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
    My iherp
    Bunches of critters.

Comment

It's a Mediterranean house gecko or Turkish gecko (Hemidactylus turcicus). They are an exotic that has spread across many of the southern states. I've seen them in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and southern California as well.
      Kyle J. Salzmann
      Check out Gekkonidazed Geckos on Facebook!
      www.gekkonidazed.com
      New to shipping reptiles? Use ShipYourReptiles.com and save! Enter code Dazed40 at checkout and get 40% off your 1st shipment!

Comment

@xxrach: Agreed. This luttle guy/girl's adorable. X3

@Salzy: I had a feeling it was a Hemidactylus species. Just not sure which one, specifically. Thanks for confirming it. I've also read they're an invasive species here in the South. So I guess releasing this little guy is probably a bad idea, then.

Comment

They are invasive but not considered harmful because they haven't affected other animals populations. They are small enough to be food for other animals. It is safe to release it! But if you decide to hold on to it they are amazingly easy to care for. I have two and they have tripled in size since I've had them.

Comment

Just as a quick update, it's almost been a week. While he hasn't really eaten yet, He's starting to come out more often when it's dark, and he's used the bathroom at least twice(Once prior to getting him and the second was mostly urate). He's also got a new 5-Gallon terrarium for his size. I still have no idea how I'm gonna weight a gecko THIS skittish, though. ._.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Get him in a tupperware and weigh both the tupperware and gecko together. Then weigh the tupperware without the gecko and subtract it from the original weight.
              (Tupperware+gecko)-(tupperware)=weight of gecko
              http://emilyburke.carbonmade.com
              https://www.facebook.com/EmilyBurkeArtwork

Comment

I was able to get the gecko weighed surprisingly. Came out at around 4 grams.

Comment

Working...
                X