How are these not more popular?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are these not more popular?!

I never paid much attention to Paroedura until recently and I'm absolutely smitten with these little P. androyensis now that I have them. I got a trio of imports, but the male was in bad shape when he arrived and didn't last long, so I promptly ordered another male so I could breed these little clowns and the new guy is already getting the job done as you can see.

They seem very prolific so far and I've already got 2 clutches of absolutely tiny eggs in the incubator. Although they're recent imports, all are quite bold and will come out of hiding to be fed when I open their lid. They're not very nervous at all and can be handled easily except for their small size.

They curl and wave their tails to express themselves and will signal to one another as well as excitedly waving and curling/uncurling when they've caught an insect.

Youtube really destroyed the quality of the video for some reason, but here's some footage of mine eating fruit flies that shows off some of this tail waving behavior.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-gNOlNWj0k

Here's a shot of my current trio:

They're just so fun to watch and while I'm really enjoying my Pachydactylus and mourning geckos, these have earned their place as my current favorites for their boldness, entertaining behaviors, and overall hardiness. I'm hoping to do my part to get some cb specimens on the market since I've seen quite a few imports in recent months, but no captive produced specimens. I'm getting a pair of P. picta as part of a large order soon, but I can't imagine I'll enjoy them as much as these guys. Any thoughts from other Paroedura keepers?
    http://www.facebook.com/appalachian.ectotherms

They are really cool geckos I'm surprised I've never herd of them till now. So tinny and cute!

Comment

Oh my! Those are absolutely amazing. Probably now something I'm gonna have to look into getting! That's awesome that you say they aren't shy! I'd love to have another entertaining reptile
      <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
      My iherp
      Bunches of critters.

Comment

Very cute.
        Emerson Exotics

Comment

Adorable! Now I really want some of these guys
          1.0.0 Crested Gecko - The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe
          0.1.0 Mouse - Gwyneth
          1.0.0 Smooth Collie - UCh URO1 Moxie's Adamantium Man BN RA CA HIC CGC TT, SD
          1.0.0 Boxer - URO1 Gavroche de la Rue RA CA CGC

The Eclectic Collie

Comment

Sorry for replying twice! Just wanna know where you got them from! I'm like hardcore researching them right now after seeing this post last night but I don't see too many available!

How are their care requirements?
            You might have to sell me a couple babies after they hatch
            <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
            My iherp
            Bunches of critters.

Comment

Very nice additions Kevin!

We have the P picta and they resemble these guys but i think yours have the lamalee on the feet correct? Whats a typical life span of these guys? How many babies does each female produce per season?

I can ask questions all day :P..... Shipping avialable.
              R. Cilatus: 5.5.4.20
              G. Gekko: 0.2
              G. Ulikovskii 0.1
              P. Turnerii 1.0

Comment

I got mine from an importer a while back since they seem to be very seasonal in availability. I haven't noticed them offered very recently, but you may want to keep your eye on the different gecko classifieds (or wait about a month for mine ) Care is simple-I have my trio together in a small rubbermaid tub on coco fiber with slabs of bark for hiding/climbing and a dish of calcium for the females. One end of the tub sits on a heat pad and they eat whenever food is offered and that's about it.

Comment

Sounds awesome! Ill definitely wait till you produce some. Just pm me when you're ready to sell a couple!
                  <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
                  My iherp
                  Bunches of critters.

Comment

Whats a typical season going to be looking like for these little ones?

Ive heard a lot of the paredura species will breed and breed and breed till there's nothing really left of the female, whats your schedule looking like for the trio? and they do have pads correct? an enclosed terrarium is requiredd?
                    R. Cilatus: 5.5.4.20
                    G. Gekko: 0.2
                    G. Ulikovskii 0.1
                    P. Turnerii 1.0

Comment

Very cool, thanks for sharing the video. My guess is they are not popular because they don't sell themselves in a picture or even in a deli cup. They're small and brown. It's not until you see them in action and you talk about them that they get interesting. They have to be "sold".
                      Check out what's happening! Great Lakes Vivarium Group

Comment

Originally posted by Everlastingly Acquiring View Post
                        Whats a typical season going to be looking like for these little ones?

Ive heard a lot of the paredura species will breed and breed and breed till there's nothing really left of the female, whats your schedule looking like for the trio? and they do have pads correct? an enclosed terrarium is requiredd?
                        I'm keeping an eye on them and will separate the females if they deteriorate, but I'm hoping they don't have that type of output that will run them down quickly. They do have small toe pads and can climb.

Comment

Oh noes!!, an other cute gecko species I need to have. Very, very cute. good luck with them.
                          Roxanne
                          and the zoo
                          www.geckoluv.com

Comment

I've always been a fan of this species as well. I think what scares many people off from these and other smaller gecko species is the dauntingly small size of the babies. It can be tough to find food items small enough for hatchlings, and they have so little body mass that they can go downhill very quickly if they don't feed regularly.
                            Gary Hamann
                            Ridge and Valley Reptiles

www.ridgeandvalleyreptiles.com

Comment

I used to have that same apprehension about tiny prey items but now that I culture my own fruit flies, springtails, bean beetles, etc I never worry about feeding even the smallest of geckos. In fact, it adds an extra layer of enjoyment for me maintaining my own self-sustaining populations of small inverts to feed the little ones. I've got nothing against the bigger guys, but the ability to keep the smaller species in less space and without any feeding costs beyond the initial investment in a few feeder cultures definitely appeals to me, especially since some of these species have such big personalities. I'm definitely hooked and have added a few other pint-sized species to my "wanted" list as a result of my experimentation with these and Pachydactylus.

Comment

Working...
                              X