Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I didn't know where to post this but..Crickets!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't know where to post this but..Crickets!

Does anyone else have crickets that don't chirp its been about 2 years since I have had a batch that did is this weird? I'm sure most of you would find this a blessing but I love the sound I grew up an a far and there was noting like going outside at night and listening to the bullfrogs and crickets and everything else that went on at night. Also by farm I mean it was an 88 acre property about 20 was for the cows. most of the rest that wasn't where the houses was was just woods and some fields surrounded it. so anyways I just wanted to know if your crickets you breed chip or not and were I could get some that could!
    0.1 Flying Gecko
    2.2 Tokay Gecko
    1.1 Bearded Dragon
    2.0.1Crested Gecko
    1.0 Ball Python

Your crickets, are they immature? Young ones don't chirp. They may start chirping if they get bigger/older.
    3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Good grief! My daughter got crickets for the Leo and this batch is huge and very noisy! Yes they will chirp when larger, I agree that they must be younger as I get small young ones for my juvie crestie and no chirping from them...

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
      1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

I actually have full grown to baby pinhead crickets. So i really don't know why they don't chirp.
        0.1 Flying Gecko
        2.2 Tokay Gecko
        1.1 Bearded Dragon
        2.0.1Crested Gecko
        1.0 Ball Python

Comment

Define "full-grown". Crickets usually become sexually mature around the 5 week mark, at which point they develop their wings and, if they're male, the stridulating organ (responsible for the chirping sound). This is usually the point at which they're considered adults or full-grown (even though they can still grow quite a bit larger). However, I've seen 4 week crickets at some of my local pet stores sold as "adults". I've also seen 5 week+ crickets without wings. Just like all species, crickets develop at varying rates. My guess would be that your crickets simply aren't old enough yet.
          ~Cassi

www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography

Comment

Well I have had this batch for about 4 weeks now. That is probably why. I've just never had that happen. Thank you. I'm trying to ween myself off buying crickets over the past year I have had to buy them 4 times to supplement what I didn't have. I would breed dubia roaches and I haven't done research on them but I assume if one gets loose you may have an infestation in your home if there like most roaches. I'm living with my grandfather since he has had an accident and would hate to get his house infested.
            0.1 Flying Gecko
            2.2 Tokay Gecko
            1.1 Bearded Dragon
            2.0.1Crested Gecko
            1.0 Ball Python

Comment

I can't speak for dubias, as they're illegal where I live.

But I can say one of the worst cricket experiences I've ever had was when a full-sized chirper got loose in my bedroom and I couldn't find it. For 4 days and nights, I had to listen to its constant chirping and I could not sleep. I was ready to tear my room apart and set it on fire just to find it. I have no idea what happened to it as I never did find him...I'm just hoping he didn't run off with a girlfriend and start a colony in my wall. :/
              ~Cassi

www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography

Comment

Lmao that's soooo funny the sound has never bothered me just because its a comfort thing I guess. :P I need to breed more food sources i have the room I just haven't committed and I know its worth it and way cheaper. That's my next goal since as of tomorrow I'm adding 2 little ones to my collection I love saving geckos!
                0.1 Flying Gecko
                2.2 Tokay Gecko
                1.1 Bearded Dragon
                2.0.1Crested Gecko
                1.0 Ball Python

Comment

Originally posted by mtwilliams2448 View Post
                  Well I have had this batch for about 4 weeks now. That is probably why. I've just never had that happen. Thank you. I'm trying to ween myself off buying crickets over the past year I have had to buy them 4 times to supplement what I didn't have. I would breed dubia roaches and I haven't done research on them but I assume if one gets loose you may have an infestation in your home if there like most roaches. I'm living with my grandfather since he has had an accident and would hate to get his house infested.
                  Dubias are the healthiest feeder. I highly recommend them. They have more protein and calcium than crickets, don't smell, don't climb, don't make noise. They are very easy to care for. I have an 18 gallon tote for my colony. They eat roach chow, high quality dog kibble, vegetables.

They are illegal in florida because of their very warm and humid temperatures, but if one got loose in any average place this would not be a problem. For one, if only one escaped it won't go find other roaches of different species and interbreed, and that one would die without water in a short amount of time. Also if you had multiple get loose, still not something to worry about considering they like higher humidity and especially warm temperatures to breed. My whole colony of hundreds isn't even breeding right now because I haven't had a heat pad provided for them. Also they can't climb, so being in a plastic storage bin like I have mine, they won't be able to climb up the smooth sides. I've never had even 1 escape before. (and as i said i have a colony of hundreds, yet when only keeping 20-30 crickets at a time ive had many escape lol)

Here is a simple step-by-step how to video for roach care that I made. :]
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhMmS-4XyQg

Comment

Originally posted by Larissa Lurid View Post
                    Dubias are the healthiest feeder. I highly recommend them. They have more protein and calcium than crickets, don't smell, don't climb, don't make noise. They are very easy to care for. I have an 18 gallon tote for my colony. They eat roach chow, high quality dog kibble, vegetables.

They are illegal in florida because of their very warm and humid temperatures, but if one got loose in any average place this would not be a problem. For one, if only one escaped it won't go find other roaches of different species and interbreed, and that one would die without water in a short amount of time. Also if you had multiple get loose, still not something to worry about considering they like higher humidity and especially warm temperatures to breed. My whole colony of hundreds isn't even breeding right now because I haven't had a heat pad provided for them. Also they can't climb, so being in a plastic storage bin like I have mine, they won't be able to climb up the smooth sides. I've never had even 1 escape before. (and as i said i have a colony of hundreds, yet when only keeping 20-30 crickets at a time ive had many escape lol)

Here is a simple step-by-step how to video for roach care that I made. :]
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhMmS-4XyQg
                    Thank you for the information! I will watch that video I have heard mixed thing about them so thats why i wasn't sure I may try them out also that reminds me I need to get some earth worms for my flyer .
                    0.1 Flying Gecko
                    2.2 Tokay Gecko
                    1.1 Bearded Dragon
                    2.0.1Crested Gecko
                    1.0 Ball Python

Comment

Does anyone know a good site I could order off of to start a colony of phoenix worms and dubia roaches Ill probably order crickets to, to be safe.
                      0.1 Flying Gecko
                      2.2 Tokay Gecko
                      1.1 Bearded Dragon
                      2.0.1Crested Gecko
                      1.0 Ball Python

Comment

I was thinking about putting in an order in sunday night or monday morning when i do find a site.
                        0.1 Flying Gecko
                        2.2 Tokay Gecko
                        1.1 Bearded Dragon
                        2.0.1Crested Gecko
                        1.0 Ball Python

Comment

Working...
                        X