Mixed Terrariums Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Terrariums Questions

I'm new to the forums but not new to keeping lizards. I have been keeping and raising for five years. I love all kinds of lizards and would love to give a go at a large mixed terrarium. I know most people frown upon this but I have see a few successful mixes normally arboreal. With enough research would it be possible to have a nice large natural terrarium? Saying that you took lizards from the same region and all conditions were the same and were all the same size. Would it be easy to make a good Eco system for said lizards and maybe throw in some other small cridders? I would love to hear feedback and possible suggestions!
    0.1 Flying Gecko
    2.2 Tokay Gecko
    1.1 Bearded Dragon
    2.0.1Crested Gecko
    1.0 Ball Python

The only cases I've heard of mixed terrariums working involves very large enclosures with keepers who are very knowledgeable about the species involved.

You have to take many things into consideration such as:

- natural aggressiveness of the species - many species won't even get along with others of the same kind, much less others of another. Gargoyles and cresteds, for example, would not go well together.

- territorial instincts - some species are naturally more territorial and defensive of their space than others.

- reptiles the species would consider "prey" in the wild - small frogs or anoles, for example, are often viewed as prey by many of the larger lizard species. Leopard geckos are viewed as prey by some of the larger frogs.

- habitat requirements - merely being from the same region does not mean they require the same conditions.

Do you have any particular species in mind that you'd be interested in working with? I think people would be able to provide you with better feedback with something to go on. You mentioned arboreal, but I would specify which ones in particular if you can.
    ~Cassi

www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography

Comment

Thank you for the feed back! I was thinking of something like Madagascan rainforest type set Involving flying geckos, mossy leaf-tailed geckos. Lizards of that size and from that region. I know that being from the same area means they can have different conditions. The two I provided as examples of require the same conditions same amount of humidity they are both climbing geckos. same heat range. they would use the same type of sub-straight. Also they are very similar in size. They also are very much alike as geckos. So I really want to do more research on this pair and see If there are any others that they could possibly coexist with. I also know that mixing some lizards is a bad idea because they can carry certain diseases. I also want to try to stay with cb only no wild caught as that could add to bringing parasites into the mix and other things. This is why I wanted to post this here was to see what others thought and to gain knowledge from the community on what they know. I would never do this without doing proper research and when I do this I will be doing a custom enclosure to ensure that it will be large enough and be properly set up. I hope to hear from all of you soon!
      0.1 Flying Gecko
      2.2 Tokay Gecko
      1.1 Bearded Dragon
      2.0.1Crested Gecko
      1.0 Ball Python

Comment

would a communal lizard work for you? it would definitely be easier than mixed species

Comment

I think that would probably be a good place to start. I just wanted to see what i could find out about mixed habitats. even though most recommend not to do them I have see some people write about enclosures of mixed species that they have had for years and never had problems with them whatsoever. So I know it is possible but I don't want to cause any deaths in the process of trial and error just because its nonsense to let lizards get sick and die in the name of what if. Before i attempt it I am going to give it a lot of through research and I'm sure it will be a few years before I do. A large custom build can be time consuming and be costly. not including obtaining the lizards involved. One day i do hope to find species that could live together in the same large inclosure without bothering each other.
          0.1 Flying Gecko
          2.2 Tokay Gecko
          1.1 Bearded Dragon
          2.0.1Crested Gecko
          1.0 Ball Python

Comment

Gecko Time would love for people who have opinions about this to check out last week's article which solicits comments about mixed species enclosures:
            http://www.geckotime.com/prose-and-c...es-enclosures/

Aliza

Comment

Here's another example of two species that can work well together:

http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...We-ve-done-it-)
              ~Cassi

www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography

Comment

Working...
              X