Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying Geckos (P. Kuhli) any one have experience with them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying Geckos (P. Kuhli) any one have experience with them?

My local petco can order them in for me for about 32$ a piece, and I'm really considering getting a couple but I don't like the idea of a completely hands off pet (I like to be able to hold them a little). Has anyone had luck with taming them (especially from hatchlngs)? And are they more nocturnal or diurnal, because I've heard both but I'm not going to invest in a uva/uvb set up if it isn't necessary. Lastly, are they rewarding to keep/breed or are they more of a boring hide type species? Thanks!
    http://www.facebook.com/RockinSaurians
    |1.1.2 Crested Gecko|1.1.0 Leopard Gecko|0.1.0 Pictus (Panther) Gecko|0.0.1 Bearded Dragon|1.1.0 Woodhouse's Toads|0.0.1 Bullsnake|
    (Currently... I'm rapidly expanding!)

P. kuhl are not an easy gecko to keep. They are completely hands off, I doubt anyone has ever had luck taming them. They are fast and flighty. They also have very sensitive skin that tears easily. If you want a gecko to hold, these are not your gecko and you should not purchase them.

They also come into Petcos as wild caught animals, and are generally infested with mites. Males are more sensitive than females, and either can go downhill and die suddenly. When we had them, it was always the males to go first. They also do not handle mite treatment well.

We did not give ours any special lighting. We enjoyed keeping them, minus having to deal with the mites and the males dying. We've talked about getting some captive-bred again in the future, but they aren't as available as wild caughts.
    Krystal

Gekkonidazed Geckos

Comment

I was planning to get a pair of WC and then breed a line of captives, and then from there mix them with another line of captives.
      |1.1.2 Crested Gecko|1.1.0 Leopard Gecko|0.1.0 Pictus (Panther) Gecko|0.0.1 Bearded Dragon|1.1.0 Woodhouse's Toads|0.0.1 Bullsnake|

Comment

I had a female that I was able to play with after about a month of taking her out for a minute or 2 each day, it was probably luck because she was the only one out of the 4 I had that would let me do so. Anything's possible but they are deff. not a beginner gecko.

Comment

I have an adult female that I try to hold regularly.
          She is a bit flighty and bitey, and VERY vocal at first, but calms down with some handling and petting. She's tame enough for now I guess.
          They are incredibly fast, and their skin is very soft, and I assume *can* tear, but I haven't had any problems with mine.
          Also, Petco does NOT have wild caught animals shipped in, as I was told it was against their company policy....other than the russian Tortoises apparently.
          4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
          3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
          1.1.0 Gekko gecko
          2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

Huh, I hadn't heard the Petco policy before. That's good to know! And just for the record, I am no beginner. I have been keeping various species of reptile for some time now so I feel more than capable of acquiring and caring for these guys. Thanks for your insight Metal_Gecko, I appreciate it. I just picked up a trio of Panther geckos, so I think the flying will have to wait for a while, but we'll see...

Comment

Originally posted by Metal_Gecko View Post
              I have an adult female that I try to hold regularly.
              She is a bit flighty and bitey, and VERY vocal at first, but calms down with some handling and petting. She's tame enough for now I guess.
              They are incredibly fast, and their skin is very soft, and I assume *can* tear, but I haven't had any problems with mine.
              Also, Petco does NOT have wild caught animals shipped in, as I was told it was against their company policy....other than the russian Tortoises apparently.

I've seen a wild caught skink at petco before, they told me it was....sooo I'm not sure how much I trust that apparently "policy" especially if they break it to bring in WC tortoises as you stated. >.>

Comment

I think they are just like any other gecko as far as if you can tame them or not my little girl shadow is great. I can hold he and have hand fed he they are sensitive and can be very flighty But I do thing individuals are always different. Shadow in this case can be hard to get out sometimes and I think she thinks its a game like lets see if he can catch me then when she is ready she will climb on my finger and is super docile. That's just my opinion. As far as care they aren't too bad. Keep there cage pretty humid about 80% or higher and during the night its ok for it to get down to 60%. Feeding for mine anyways is hit and miss she is either hungry or not but when she is she likes to stalk her prey and strike fast my favorite is when she is at the top of her cage and assassinates crickets! its so awesome. Heat is kept pretty high also they need a basking area of 95-100 degrees. they also like to cool off sometimes and that can be as low is about 75 degrees. They are great thoough and so fun to watch when feeding they love to hangout on walls. One of my favorite things is when they move you can hear there toes pop off of whatever there on.
                0.1 Flying Gecko
                2.2 Tokay Gecko
                1.1 Bearded Dragon
                2.0.1Crested Gecko
                1.0 Ball Python

Comment

Huh. Thanks for the insight I figured that they would be tameable, I just didn't know to what extent.

Comment

from experience with similar geckos, they are best handled in small, rather empty rooms...with low ceilings.

Comment

Originally posted by post2post36 View Post
                      from experience with similar geckos, they are best handled in small, rather empty rooms...with low ceilings.
                      This is very very true!
                      0.1 Flying Gecko
                      2.2 Tokay Gecko
                      1.1 Bearded Dragon
                      2.0.1Crested Gecko
                      1.0 Ball Python

Comment

I knew the ceiling bit haha... I had a house gecko way back when I was.... gosh, 9? That thing was insane 0.o

Comment

yeah, it was interesting to say the least lol, especially since i was about 10 years old

Comment

my flyer also likes to climb on me I don't let her get too high because she wont sit on my head like my leos she will try to glide of lmao
                            0.1 Flying Gecko
                            2.2 Tokay Gecko
                            1.1 Bearded Dragon
                            2.0.1Crested Gecko
                            1.0 Ball Python

Comment

Originally posted by Larissa Lurid View Post
                              I've seen a wild caught skink at petco before, they told me it was....sooo I'm not sure how much I trust that apparently "policy" especially if they break it to bring in WC tortoises as you stated. >.>
                              Agreed.
                              So I asked the manager of said local Petco, and his reply was(paraphrasing), "We do not purchase, or sell wild caught animals. The Russian Tortoises are imported because of low breeder volume here in the US."

Straight from the horses mouth.
                              Doesn't mean any is truth, but that's what the store Manager told me...
                              4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
                              3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
                              1.1.0 Gekko gecko
                              2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

Working...
                              X