Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper size enclosure for a Tokay Gecko.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper size enclosure for a Tokay Gecko.

The title explains it all. Someone from a Reptile Group was telling me that I can't keep one in a 10 gallon by itself because it's too small. They also think that I can't keep a leopard gecko can't live happily in a 10 gallon tank either. From the research I have done they can successfully live in a 10 gallon tank set up for them.

I think their is no less than 500 leopard breeders that would agree with you.......tell the "know it all haters" to mind their own business.
    http://holygrailgeckos.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Grail Geckos View Post
      I think their is no less than 500 leopard breeders that would agree with you.......tell the "know it all haters" to mind their own business.
      Soooo. A tokay gecko can live happily and healthily in a 10 gallon tank? Turned on its side with all of the proper care and supplies?

Comment

A 10 gallon would be fine for a juvenile Tokay, but WAY to small for an adult. Remember, you're talking about a gecko that can easily reach 12"+ in length. They are also active hunters that seem to enjoy chasing down their food. An enclosure the size of a 29 gal. aquarium would be more comfortable for it. These are just my observations from back when I used to keep and breed them (from 1982 to 1995). They are really neat lizards, and well worth giving them enough room to enjoy themselves. Good luck with them.

Mark
        The day I stop learning, is the day I die.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkM0723 View Post
          A 10 gallon would be fine for a juvenile Tokay, but WAY to small for an adult. Remember, you're talking about a gecko that can easily reach 12"+ in length. They are also active hunters that seem to enjoy chasing down their food. An enclosure the size of a 29 gal. aquarium would be more comfortable for it. These are just my observations from back when I used to keep and breed them (from 1982 to 1995). They are really neat lizards, and well worth giving them enough room to enjoy themselves. Good luck with them.

Mark

Okay, that is what I was thinking. How many can you fit in a 29 gallon? I am taking my turtles out of the current one and adding them into a 55 gallon in a few weeks. c:

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoRave View Post
            Okay, that is what I was thinking. How many can you fit in a 29 gallon? I am taking my turtles out of the current one and adding them into a 55 gallon in a few weeks. c:
            You could successfully keep a pair in it, but will likely have to remove the male when the female starts laying eggs. Unlike most reptiles, many Tokays AGGRESSIVELY guard their eggs, and there's a good chance that the female will not tolerate the male around the eggs. I used to have a colony that had run of the reptile room (about 20' X15') and when the females were guarding eggs, no other geckos were allowed within about six feet of them or the hatchlings.

Mark

Comment

You could successfully keep a pair in it, but will likely have to remove the male when the female starts laying eggs. Unlike most reptiles, many Tokays AGGRESSIVELY guard their eggs, and there's a good chance that the female will not tolerate the male around the eggs. I used to have a colony that had run of the reptile room (about 20' X15') and when the females were guarding eggs, no other geckos were allowed within about six feet of them or the hatchlings.

Mark
              My gosh! I'm not sure as to if I really want some right now but there is the Minnesota Reptile Expo in a few weeks that I want to get to and might pick up some younger ones. Not sure if I want a pair or trio, but probably going for the pair. I have to do tons of research still, so thanks for all the help! Do you happen to have a care guide on them?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoRave View Post
                Do you happen to have a care guide on them?
                I wish I did, but when I was working with them, the internet basically didn't exist (Yes, the Dark Ages). However, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me, and I'll do my best to help.

Mark

Comment

I wish I did, but when I was working with them, the internet basically didn't exist (Yes, the Dark Ages). However, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me, and I'll do my best to help.

Mark

Thank You so much for all the help! Dark ages. I was just a little baby/kid then. :b

Comment

Mark
                    Did they have cameras in the Dark Ages? I would love to see the pictures of that reptile room........did they poop in a specific spot or did you have to deal with it all over the place? Did you setup specific spots for the females to lay their eggs or did they just find their own hidden spot? What about food......how were they fed?
                    http://holygrailgeckos.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Grail Geckos View Post
                      Did they have cameras in the Dark Ages? I would love to see the pictures of that reptile room........did they poop in a specific spot or did you have to deal with it all over the place? Did you setup specific spots for the females to lay their eggs or did they just find their own hidden spot? What about food......how were they fed?
                      Well let's see if I can answer some of your questions.

1. "Did they have cameras in the Dark Ages?" Why yes we did. Do I have pic? No. This was a time before the internet.

2. "did they poop in a specific spot or did you have to deal with it all over the place?" If you have ever kept Tokays, you may have noticed that they tend to deposit their feces on the wall. If you use a decent latex paint, its pretty easy to wipe off.

3. "Did you setup specific spots for the females to lay their eggs or did they just find their own hidden spot?" If you have ever kept Tokays, you should know that they don't bury their eggs, but adhere them to a flat surface, so no, I didn't set up specific spots. The females would find their own spots to lay (usually behind a shelf, bookcase, etc.). Point of interest, a female would tend to use the same location year after year.

4. "What about food......how were they fed?" It was easy to offer crickets in open top aquariums. Pinkie and Fuzzie mice in shallow containers (Yes, Tokays eat mice.), and woe be any roach, that happened to slip in the room.

I hope this helps.
                      Mark

Comment

I prefer exo-terras for my Tokays because you don't have to reach down over them having doors on the front. I have singles in 12x12x18 to 18x18x18 (or equivalent as long as it opens in the front) and my pairs are in no smaller than a 18x18x24.

Each Tokay is different in personality and how it will react, greatly depending on the animal's history. All but one of my current breeders is wild caught ( and he is my worst due to his background), but I have worked with them until they are willing to be free handled at least to a minimum. This has helped the animals not freak out when I enter the tank and the female's allow me to date new eggs, mist, and collect hatchlings without complaints, but I have to be extremely careful when cleaning the tanks while they have eggs because they will not take lightly to being separated from their eggs. I try not to do heavey cleaning during breeding season so as not to upset the parents that can't be moved with their eggs at the same time which is most. Thankfully Tokays like to pick an area to make their 'bathroom' so they generally just need spot cleaning.

I don't recommend a trio unless you do a 55 gallon minimum so females have a ton of space to put between their nests, but the females may still eat each other's eggs. Mine all eat dubia roaches from bowls and pinkies go to breeding girls and growing animals no more than monthly.
                        19.21.10.45 Tokay Geckos: Normals, Granites, Patternless, Calico/Pieds, Hets, & Unproven Aberrants
                        7.6.0.16 Other Gekko species *** 1.1 Leachianus *** 5.10.7 Geckolepis maculata & typica Fish Scaled Geckos *** 1.0 CB Knight Anole
                        1.2 Pachydactylus tigrinus *** 1.0 Pyxie Frog *** 10 Tarantulas & 1 Jumping Spider
                        www.SpottedScales.com *** Spotted Scales FB

Comment

Kita is very knowledgeable, and ALWAYS offers up great advice.

I don't have an Exo-Terras, but I have all my Tokays in glas tanks, with front opening screen doors.
                          As she mentioned, it's easier NOT to come downward upon them, as Tokays HATE to be grabbed.

YMMV of course, but probably not.
                          4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
                          3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
                          1.1.0 Gekko gecko
                          2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

Working...
                          X