Lizard that self-reproduces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lizard that self-reproduces?

I was at my local petstore a few weeks ago, picking up dubias for my cesties, and got sucked in to a 30min conversation with their bug guy, who also happens to keep a LOT of different geckos. Apparently he was desperate for another reptile-lover to talk to.... He showed me these little itty bitty geckos he had, that were in sand substrate with UV, and told me that they were asexual and self-reproduced. Does anyone have any idea what geckos these are?

I know that he prefers Australian geckos, if that helps!
    My iHerp[/SIZE][/CENTER]

On a sand substrate no idea. The only parthenogenic gecko species I can think of off the top of my head are Mourning geckos. I'm sure there are others though.
    My reviews!
    Arachnoboards
    Fauna BOI

My iHerp
    Facebook: Tiger Reptiles

Comment

Hemidactylus frenatus as well, I believe. I can't think of a sand-substrate species either, but you could always do a search for parthenogenesis and geckos.
      Coleonyx-Correlophus-Eurydactylodes-Mniarogekko-Paroedura-Phelsuma-Rhacodactylus
      ROC Geckos
      Geckos of Madagascar and New Caledonia

Comment

Ah HA! Parthenogenesis. It's one of those words you read a few times, and then when you need to remember it, POOF! It's gone. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out what breed they were. They were very interesting little gals, very small, definitely in sand with UV lights. I remember he showed me a clutch of eggs one of them had laid and buried in the sand. Hmmmmm.
        My iHerp[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Comment

I think your referring to Heteronotia binoei. They are a self reproducing species. They are terrestrial, and don't get very big.
          Cloud9reptiles.com
          Facebook

Comment

Could be Heteronotia binoei (AKA Binoe's/Bynoe's Gecko), it's an Australian parthenogenic gecko.
            Specializing in Crested Geckos
            Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
            Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
            Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Working...
            X