Sikorae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sikorae

OK so I have become obsessed the last few days.....very obsessed.

From my understanding they dont seem to use plants too much since they dont really blend well with them. But since plants do help with the humidity I was thinking of having in a mother in laws tongue in there since they are fairly broad bladed that if they waned to get on it they could. And since I plan on setting it up as a living viv, may as well put a plant in there. But is there a better plant suggestion for these guys? The tank is 30" tall however once the soil layers get built in I am looking at more like 25" or so tall.

Also where do you guys get your wood, do you just go outside and raid the trees? Or is there some secret place online that sells them. I figure I will go raid the yard...are they particular tree species to avoid?
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

For wood I use: oak from our yard & birch from Michael's
    For plants I use: Dracaena Marginata, pothos,Sanseveria, & Zamiifolia
    My Sikoraes actually like sleeping in their plants during the day.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 02-19-2012, 08:26 PM.
    Andi - Gray Sky Exotics
    www.iHerp.com/Hannibal
    www.facebook.com/andi.vanzant

Comment

We use pothos or ficus for ours. The trio that has a big ficus tree seem to love it; they hang out in the tree almost as much as they do on the background.
      Krystal

Gekkonidazed Geckos

Comment

They really don't use the plant much, but I use snake plants in all of my Sikorae cages. To be honest, the reason I use them is because they're one of the only species of plant I've had luck with keeping them alive long term.

I don't use any specific type of wood, just whatever I like the look of. But yes, raid the trees. You can't really buy the type of branches that most of my Sikorae like. I have some in there that are rough bark, and some that are very smooth. Different animals prefer different types of bark, so I just use both. I have some going vertically and some that are slanted.

Right now I'm having great results, I've got 7 eggs in the incubator and I just put all of my Uro's together about a month ago, so I'm hoping for an awesome season.

Sikorae are my favorite out of all the Uroplatus I keep. They're VERY vigorous hunters, very attractive and very cool to work with. They're also fairly hardy and prolific. I've got some females that lay eggs every 20 days.

Good luck,
        -Armen

Comment

Well I posted an ad on CL and a guy emailed me and is letting me raid his 10 acre wooded yard for trees and he said he had to problem if I cut limbs down from the trees or if I just took what has already fllen, so I am pretty excited, hoping to get over there on Friday and get some. Hopefully he has some nice moss covered pieces wouldnt mind that at all!

I dont have too much of an issue growing plants, this will actually be my 3rd planted tank, thankfully I had a good guide help me in how to start planted tanks and only had 2 plants die on my in the last 2.5 years, which I dont think is to bad lol! When I get it set up be prepared for pics!
          www.sublimereptiles.com
          Facebook
          BOI

Comment

Originally posted by thongwedgie View Post
            Well I posted an ad on CL and a guy emailed me and is letting me raid his 10 acre wooded yard for trees and he said he had to problem if I cut limbs down from the trees or if I just took what has already fllen, so I am pretty excited, hoping to get over there on Friday and get some. Hopefully he has some nice moss covered pieces wouldnt mind that at all!

I dont have too much of an issue growing plants, this will actually be my 3rd planted tank, thankfully I had a good guide help me in how to start planted tanks and only had 2 plants die on my in the last 2.5 years, which I dont think is to bad lol! When I get it set up be prepared for pics!
            i would use the live tree branches, the ones that have fallen are mostly rotted. the live tree branches freshly cut will also last a lot longer and be less likely to mold.

Comment

I'll be using pathos and snake plants in my tank (picking up my pair this weekend!) and I've got branches of various types that have been soaked and baked for them as well as cork bark. I figure I'll give them a variety. I'm not doing a fully planted viv, just going to have some potted plants in there so I can more easily find eggs. I really wanted to do some live though to help with humidity. The trick is finding pots that are stable enough. Most taper down and if a gecko landed on the side, they'd tip over. I had to go find some with a nice, broad base.

I've also become extremely obsessed with this species. These guys and other leaf tails. I love the beards on the sikorae and I adore the faces of the leaf tails. Both such awesome species!
              Last edited by Crestielovely; 02-26-2012, 04:44 PM.
              https://www.facebook.com/Creptileroom

Comment

so if youre not doing a full living, what are you going to keep them on substrate wise? I dont look forward to digging for eggs however from what I have been reading they really dont do well on things like papertowels.
                www.sublimereptiles.com
                Facebook
                BOI

Comment

From what I've found, they do ok with paper towels as long as that's not all they have. Someone correct me if that's false? The pots I have are quite large for the plants and I'll have one without anything but substrate in it as an extra laybox. The tank i have for them is quite large, a 24x18x24 exo and it would be hard as hell to find eggs in there if I have the full thing planted!
                  https://www.facebook.com/Creptileroom

Comment

Nobody corrected you so maybe youre right Christie? lol idk What do you guys think is egg finding hard in a fully substrated tank?

Anyways I have been looking at lights trying to figure out what would be best to use, mostly for good plant growth, what lights do you guys use?
                    www.sublimereptiles.com
                    Facebook
                    BOI

Comment

I can't comment on eggs yet, as my girl has eaten all of hers sofar (they were laid in the branches so they were most likely infertile).

For lighting it really depends how high your enclosure is & how tall the plants are within it.
                      Andi - Gray Sky Exotics
                      www.iHerp.com/Hannibal
                      www.facebook.com/andi.vanzant

Comment

well I am going with my 29 gallon I think, I know I will have mother in laws tongue (Sansevieria) I like that they are easy to keep and it does well in my other tank. I have some other plant in there that is broad leafed dont remember what it is, it does well also. But maybe a Dracaena and a pothos also. I dont plan on doing anything really tropical with them. On my smaller planted tank I have a 5.0 coil but I dont have it directly on top of it, it is clamped onto the side and just partially angled down, the plants in there seem to really love it so I am thinking the 5.0 is simply just too strong for direct on unless they are high light lovers, or a very deep tank. I was looking at this, however it doesnt seem to produce any UV?
                        http://www.joshsfrogs.com/lighting/l...gle-white.html
                        I like that it is LED, they usually last a long time and cost so little to run, and I dont mind spending a few extra bucks on a good bulb. I have a standard florescent strip light, along with T5 fixture also.
                        www.sublimereptiles.com
                        Facebook
                        BOI

Comment

I use Sanseveria in all my Uroplatus enclosures, and even have Henkeli and Fimbriatus rest on it during the daytime!

I would also caution against using any downed wood, as it's more likely to have bugs and whatnot in it.

I use layboxes in all my enclosures, and so far everyone had laid in them. I also use substrate, but keep in mind that you can somewhat influence where the female lays with leaves, moss, bark, etc. They like to lay in some kind of litter or under bark, so if there's a laybox in the tank and it's the only spot with litter then that should be where she lays.

About lighting- one of the reasons I use MIL tongue is because it's dang near indestructible, so I say screw the plants and light for you animals. I use fluorescent strip lights, with one 5.0 UVB bulb and one daylight bulb in them. Seems to work well, and most keepers I know that use UVB use 5.0. With your setup I'd say to use the UVB bulb you've mentioned and keep it to one side. As long as they have cover so they can manage the amount of light they receive it won't be a problem.
                          R. Leachianus, R. Auriculatus, U. Fimbriatus, U. Henkeli, U. Sameiti, U. Lineatus, U. Pietschmanni, B. Boivini

http://www.facebook.com/NorthstarHerp

Comment

I suggest using a taller terrarium to allow for a greater temperature gradient. Paper towel works fine, so long as you can keep your humidity up. When using paper towel I use a decent size lay box with leaves on the substrate and a half round of cork bark over it. I use the same lighting as pakinjak. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X