Introducing Makobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing Makobo

Arrived yesterday, but I finally just now picked out a name for him so I could upload pics to photobucket LOL

I got him from Jon Boone, and he is a 4 yo male reticulated Phelsuma standingi who was previously in a bonded pair. P. standingi have a tendency to bond VERY strongly, so he may or may not accept one of my two girls (both are virgins), so I REALLY have my fingers crossed!

Far from the greatest pics, but here he is!

That is so cool! Out of curiosity, why the strong pair bond? I know almost nothing about day geckos, but I was given to think they were not very social creatures...
    My reviews!
    Arachnoboards
    Fauna BOI

My iHerp
    Facebook: Tiger Reptiles

Comment

Not sure I can answer the "why" question as that would get into evolutionary biology theory (which I personally hold is properly a philosophy rather than science ), but according to many other breeders, P. standingi in particular form very strong pair bonds, and some breeders report even do well kept in family groups (as opposed to several other phelsuma species, which will eat/kill their offspring). This species also requires more dry and arid conditions than most of the other Phelsuma... so they're a bit different. They're one of the easiest to tame out of the Phelsuma, also.

Comment

I hope they're easy to tame, mine are spazzing out big time! Makobo is handsome boy, glad you found another male. You might have eggs before me at this rate. Keep me posted on their introduction. Any idea yet who you'll pair with who?
        Coleonyx-Correlophus-Eurydactylodes-Mniarogekko-Paroedura-Phelsuma-Rhacodactylus
        ROC Geckos
        Geckos of Madagascar and New Caledonia

Comment

I'm hoping to pair Makobo with Mirova, and leave Maeva for the boy you picked up fo me. Since the latter two are both missing a toe, it just seems to be a "perfect" match! LOL

Actually, there's another reason as well. Mirova is bigger than Maeva at this point and I want to give Maeva just a bit longer before putting her with a male. She's grown really quickly since being split up from Mirova, I'm pretty sure at this point that Mirova food-bullied her since they were together before I purchased them.

The timing hopefully will work out so that I can pair up Makobo with Mirova in time to free up a QT enclosure for your boy. (I do have a Plan B if that doesn't work )

Matter of fact, I think I'm going to name the boy you have Madero!

Comment

Nice plans and I dig the name!
            Coleonyx-Correlophus-Eurydactylodes-Mniarogekko-Paroedura-Phelsuma-Rhacodactylus
            ROC Geckos

Comment

He's absolutely stunning, actually both boys are. I hope the boys take to your girls, I'm dying to see lots of colourful babies. I like the fact that they require less humidity than the grandis, may have to think about getting some if I decide to do a 2nd gecko room.
              Andi - Gray Sky Exotics
              www.iHerp.com/Hannibal
              www.facebook.com/andi.vanzant

Comment

The babies are impossible to resist, my wife calls them dishonest geckos. She (and I) love the colors of the hatchlings, but she's not a fan when they mature. I think they have great appeal, personally and I don't know why I waited so long.
                ROC Geckos

Comment

You waited so I'd have a room all set-up for their babies to move into after they hatched....hehehe, don't tell Alex.
                  Andi - Gray Sky Exotics
                  www.iHerp.com/Hannibal
                  www.facebook.com/andi.vanzant

Comment

Still trying to figure out how to "like" posts in this new format. You have your reds and greens, why not add some blue?

Laura Lee, Matt Schaefer saw the pic of Madero and was a big fan. You should have some great looking hatchlings this year!
                    ROC Geckos

Comment

Ohhh is this Pizza? haha

I hope Mirova can mend his broken heart because you know how much I need to see a fist full of baby Standingi when I come to visit. EEeeeeee he's so handsome! I really have my fingers crossed!
                      The name Stella fills me with dread.
                      Mondegreen Geckos
                      >iHerp >Facebook

Comment

Thanks, ya'll!

Pizza. You just wait and see what I'mma name all your gekkers, Stella. Just you wait...

Comment

He is stunning!

Comment

Originally posted by lauraleellbp View Post
                            Pizza. You just wait and see what I'mma name all your gekkers, Stella. Just you wait...
                            I'm going to bring a label gun and give all of your geckos food names. We'll both hate it.
                            The name Stella fills me with dread.
                            Mondegreen Geckos
                            >iHerp >Facebook

Comment

Working...
                            X