Geckos/lizards whose tails do not grow back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geckos/lizards whose tails do not grow back

I am writing a paper for school on geckos and tail loss i tried to find reputable sources on crested geckos and how their tails do not grow back if lost and failed i was wondering if anyone knew of another species that does not grow back its tail if it loses it. I greatly appreciate any input i get thanks
    11.8.16.3 crested geckos

www.iherp.com/limegreenartist
    www.crestieicandy.weebly.com

I was looking through some websites and I found this: http://www.dalesbeardeddragons.com/a...deddragons.htm Hope it helps
    3.3.1 Crested Gecko
    0.1.0 Bad Kitty =^...^=
    0.0.1 e. agricolae

Comment

thanks i will look into it
      edit did look into it but beardies don't have the ability to drop their tails .....
      11.8.16.3 crested geckos

Comment

There's a lot of species that don't grow their tails back if they lose them somehow! (bad joke)

Autotomization (willful detachment) of a tail is pretty rare to begin with. As is major regeneration in any vertebrate, but most lizards that lose their tails do regenerate them.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/ge...predators.html

That might help some.

Also if you can find a copy of Rhacodactylus by Henkel and Seipp (not by Repashy and Vosjoli) it would likely be considered a good source. I think it mentions that if a Chahoua autotomizes twice it will not regenerate a third time...
        My reviews!
        Arachnoboards
        Fauna BOI

My iHerp
        Facebook: Tiger Reptiles

Comment

i am beginning to think cresties are the only ones who do not regrow tails but they do have autonomy. I have found plenty of sources on regrowing tails and such so i am good there thanks though
          11.8.16.3 crested geckos

Comment

I would imagine that the non-regrowth of tails is a fossorial condition that was re-evolved. I'll explain though this is pure speculation on my part.

It would seem likely that the first lizards to autotomize their tails likely did not regenerate the tail. Regeneration of anything is extremely taxing, as is normal healing. Then one became able to, found an advantage of some sort to do so and the genes spread such that it was common in certain groups (like the geckos).

Cresteds live on high thin branches and do a lot of jumping around to move. It is quite possible that a tail became a hindrance and that it's eventual loss became an advantage; as opposed to other Rhacs that will regenerate tails, but live on larger branches and tree trunks where leaping is less crucial, and extra weight is not a hindrance. Hence, while the cresteds gained a mobility advantage for their environment niche, the other rhacs kept theirs for the extra nutritional storage space.

Ta-dah! Your daily dose of over the top biological speculation. Of course I really have no clue, but it is fun! In the science world this would be called a S.W.A.G (Scientific Wild Ass Guess).
            My reviews!
            Arachnoboards
            Fauna BOI

My iHerp
            Facebook: Tiger Reptiles

Comment

Working...
            X