Favorite Pet Geckos/Lizards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Pet Geckos/Lizards?

Just curious what your guys' favorite geckos/lizards are to keep. I enjoy cresteds in that they are fun to hold, maintain, collect and breed, but in my opinion you just can't beat a leopard gecko as far as a pet goes. If I could only keep one species of gecko, it'd probably be that one. They are out and about and acting cute while crested geckos spend almost all of their time hiding, and the staple of their diet can be superworms, which is really convenient (moreso than CGD, even). It's fun to build a nice terrestrial habitat with a fancy basking spot and watch them utilize all of the space in their tank. We've had 2 girls for 3-4 years now, and I just love them.

What other kinds of geckos/lizards do you all keep that you just love (as in make a good pet and you really just like to observe)?
    Currently working with R. ciliatus

I have a group of shield-tail agamas. They are super active all day, running around eating whatever moves. But they'll also sit on your hand forever like a mini bearded dragon. The male's beard turns bright turquoise blue when he's excited. I lose a lot of time just watching them!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4146.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1055372

Noelle

Comment

Originally posted by rcarichter View Post
      I have a group of shield-tail agamas. They are super active all day, running around eating whatever moves. But they'll also sit on your hand forever like a mini bearded dragon. The male's beard turns bright turquoise blue when he's excited. I lose a lot of time just watching them!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16803[/ATTACH]

Noelle
      Cute! What do they eat? Sounds like maybe crickets/roaches? The type of feeder would play a big part in my decision of what to eventually get. A "mini bearded dragon" would be cool, if you could get the personality without all of the upkeep. I've had 2 bearded dragons and, as endearing as they were, they weren't really my thing. They require so much space and equipment, and eat you out of house and home. And I could never seem to get mine to be as active as I liked and I worried about them all of the time (especially when they would brumate), which wasn't very much fun. And it was a pain to make sure that they were drinking enough water... always had to mist them and their greens, since they don't really take to standing water. Also, they stank. Haha.

Comment

They are far more active than beardies. Care is mostly identical, hot and dry; crickets and greens. The only difference is that they are diggers, so sand doesn't really work. I finally settled on some rich, untreated, garden soil from a friend's farm, which holds its shape well. It needs to be about 6 inches deep. I tried the excavator substrate, but was not happy with the results. These guys are so fun!

Noelle

Comment

What a neat species, is that all the bigger they get?
          Formerly known as eel588, new name same great taste!

Comment

Originally posted by eel588 View Post
            What a neat species, is that all the bigger they get?
            The one in that picture is nearly full grown. He'll probably add another half inch or so at the most.

Noelle

Comment

All the leos I've had were horrible. The main one that did well was boring, never did anything, didn't like to be held, acted stupid whenever she WAS out and about, etc. All babies I've tried out with (not out of egg babies, but young) have gotten sick and/or died. I adopted an adult from my middle school, but s/he was also rather boring, didn't like being held, etc.

I've looked at a few leos at Repticon, both times it was here, and not only was I extremely unimpressed with the prices ($130 or more for a gecko whose morph I can't even remember right after leaving the table and can't hold? Ummm, hell no!), but the geckos were completely unwilling to be held or be calm, even the larger and older ones.

I should probably just kick myself into buying a few and see if I like them now that I'm older, and maybe because all the ones I've had were flukes, but I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars to see if I like a species I'm already extremely turned off of. I was very serious about looking for some at the last Repticon and could not find any that were suitable for that.
              I've also thought about fat tails, since the two are similar, but I really don't like the way AFTs look. At all.

I'm quite happy with cresties and gargs. They're inquisitive, relatively calm, and my young male acts like everyone says their leo does: exploring during the day, taking note of me walking around or turning the light on, etc.

Besides the rhacs, I got a trio of CB desert banded geckos at Repticon last month. Even at only ~3 inches in length, two of them do not mind being held and will not freak out (they'll even accept food right away after I've picked them up), are extremely curious and active, and seem to be much smarter than I would expect from such tiny gekkers. I am definitely looking for more.

I was talking with a beardie vendor at Repticon last month and all the while there was a beardie on my shoulder, and later, on my head. I have to say, they might be pretty freaking cool to have.

I hear all sorts of good things about blue tongue skinks as well, but I've not any real experience with them. They seem lazy and hardy, but not boring.

Oh! And you, my dear thread starter, mentioned a staple of superworms for leos. I agree. That's all I fed my first girl for most of her life, and she did just fine. Heck, I'm not sure I even dusted them very often (this was, damn, 7-10 years ago, so I can't remember exactly), but she was healthy. Absolutely boring and almost mean sometimes, but healthy.
              Now, my young cresty loves them, but they're kind of expensive. I did exceedingly well at caring for the larvae, then got them to pupate, then morph into beetles. Then.. nothing. I think they bred, I think they laid eggs, but it didn't work. Any suggestions?

Comment

I have Leos and Beardies. I love my dragon, he is inquisitive, intelligent and beautiful. He watches everything I do. I also have leos, they are alright. I have been keeping them for quite awhile and have been considering selling my pair. I love my Cresties, they are my favorites! I love there smiley faces! I also, recently got Gargs and I love them!
                ~Amber~
                "Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"
                Anyanka's Geckos
                RIP Willow, Darwin, Tara and Chai. I miss and love you all!

Comment

I've always been a big fan of blue tongued skinks. They are tame and have great personalities. Might have to get another Irian Jaya once the wife cools down about finding a few geckos she didn't know about...
                  Coleonyx-Correlophus-Eurydactylodes-Mniarogekko-Paroedura-Phelsuma-Rhacodactylus
                  ROC Geckos
                  Geckos of Madagascar and New Caledonia

Comment

Originally posted by Shenzi Sixaxis View Post
                    All the leos I've had were horrible. The main one that did well was boring, never did anything, didn't like to be held, acted stupid whenever she WAS out and about, etc. All babies I've tried out with (not out of egg babies, but young) have gotten sick and/or died. I adopted an adult from my middle school, but s/he was also rather boring, didn't like being held, etc.

I've looked at a few leos at Repticon, both times it was here, and not only was I extremely unimpressed with the prices ($130 or more for a gecko whose morph I can't even remember right after leaving the table and can't hold? Ummm, hell no!), but the geckos were completely unwilling to be held or be calm, even the larger and older ones.

I should probably just kick myself into buying a few and see if I like them now that I'm older, and maybe because all the ones I've had were flukes, but I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars to see if I like a species I'm already extremely turned off of. I was very serious about looking for some at the last Repticon and could not find any that were suitable for that.
                    I've also thought about fat tails, since the two are similar, but I really don't like the way AFTs look. At all.

I'm quite happy with cresties and gargs. They're inquisitive, relatively calm, and my young male acts like everyone says their leo does: exploring during the day, taking note of me walking around or turning the light on, etc.

Besides the rhacs, I got a trio of CB desert banded geckos at Repticon last month. Even at only ~3 inches in length, two of them do not mind being held and will not freak out (they'll even accept food right away after I've picked them up), are extremely curious and active, and seem to be much smarter than I would expect from such tiny gekkers. I am definitely looking for more.

I was talking with a beardie vendor at Repticon last month and all the while there was a beardie on my shoulder, and later, on my head. I have to say, they might be pretty freaking cool to have.

I hear all sorts of good things about blue tongue skinks as well, but I've not any real experience with them. They seem lazy and hardy, but not boring.

Oh! And you, my dear thread starter, mentioned a staple of superworms for leos. I agree. That's all I fed my first girl for most of her life, and she did just fine. Heck, I'm not sure I even dusted them very often (this was, damn, 7-10 years ago, so I can't remember exactly), but she was healthy. Absolutely boring and almost mean sometimes, but healthy.
                    Now, my young cresty loves them, but they're kind of expensive. I did exceedingly well at caring for the larvae, then got them to pupate, then morph into beetles. Then.. nothing. I think they bred, I think they laid eggs, but it didn't work. Any suggestions?
                    Hmmm... interesting. My leos aren't boring at all, but I will admit that they aren't very fun to hold. For one thing, it's just more awkward since they are a terrestrial desert gecko, as compared to "sticky" arboreal types like cresteds. They also just don't seem to enjoy it. Cresteds are more fun to hold than leos. I guess I would just rather have something fun to watch than to hold, though, if I had to choose.

Interesting about your cresteds having personality. Honestly, I've had them for years (like 20-30 at a time) and I can think of 1 that had personality. They rest you rarely see unless you seek them out. Sometimes some will be out late at night when they are more active, but even then, they don't really do anything interesting. They just kind of sit there.

I had one leopard that I regret giving away that used to come out to watch me do laundry. She would walk to the corner of the tank and just stare out at me, and her head would move to follow my motions. I found that pretty amusing.

Anyway, I'm not sure why we've had opposite experiences! Maybe it's just a fluke on your part or on mine... I'm not sure. Or maybe it is more about the individual gecko than I realized.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you anything about breeding supers. We just buy them. We did try our hand at it once kind of half-assedly and had the same problem as you. For one thing, I think you're supposed to remove the beetles from the tank with the "eggs" (I could never see them) or else they will eat them. I don't think we kept on top of this hard enough. Anyway, I'm definitely the wrong person to ask about that. Haha.

Comment

Yes, I have heard a lot of good things about blue tongued skinks, too! But they strike me as something similar to a beardie in that they get kind of big and require a lot of space and equipment. Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Shenzi Sixaxis View Post
                        Supers are pretty easy to breed if you just keep them in humid substrate with enough room to get away from each other so they will pupate. The problem I had was the beetles. The darkling beetles spray a nasty substance when they're messed with, and it's truly horrible smelling. It's like an oil you can't get off. Mealworms are much easier and the beetles are no big deal.

Noelle

Comment

Originally posted by Lauren and Hunter View Post
                          Yes, I have heard a lot of good things about blue tongued skinks, too! But they strike me as something similar to a beardie in that they get kind of big and require a lot of space and equipment. Am I wrong?
                          This is pretty much true, but I don't believe BTS actually require UVB lighting so that's a little less equipment, but a lot of people still use UVB lighting for them just to be on the safe side.

I've never liked Leopard Geckos that much either, two out of the three I've had in the past would try to bite frequently and were not all that active in my opinion.

I've had Pictus geckos which are quite active and amusing to watch. I want to get another one someday.

I really love my Cresteds and Gargs though. Not all of mine are always out and about. Their all different. But I have one boy who is ALWAYS out and will sit at the door and watch you. My gargs(in other words, my pigs) seem to hide more than my cresteds.

Beardeds are amusing and active but I've never been able to justify getting one, even though I now have a 40 gallon breeder to put one in. They just seem like a little more work then I have time for between the fresh veggies and buying and setting up proper lighting and heat....I don't know.

Someday I will have a Uromastyx, I know I know, even more difficult then Beardies but I just love their dinosaur faces!
                          "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Comment

Originally posted by rcarichter View Post
                            Supers are pretty easy to breed if you just keep them in humid substrate with enough room to get away from each other so they will pupate. The problem I had was the beetles. The darkling beetles spray a nasty substance when they're messed with, and it's truly horrible smelling. It's like an oil you can't get off. Mealworms are much easier and the beetles are no big deal.

Noelle
                            Humid substrate? Any time any supers we've had were exposed to any humidity, they all instantly died. It's like water = instant death for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lauren and Hunter View Post
                              Humid substrate? Any time any supers we've had were exposed to any humidity, they all instantly died. It's like water = instant death for them.
                              Not even damp, just humid, like spray a few times a week. This is if you want them to breed. The worms themselves can be kept dry.

Comment

Working...
                              X