Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokay lighting and heating.

Hi,
    So over the past few months my boyfriend and I have been considering getting a Tokay gecko. We both love the fact that you have to "earn" their love.
    We aren't in any rush to get one, and we want to make sure that everything is perfect.
    He already has a name picked out.. "Mudkip"

We are planning on using a 20G tall aquarium, with ample vines/plants/hides to the point where we probably won't see the gecko.
    Is cocofiber a good substrate? We don't really have any interest in creating a live or planted terrarium.
    Diet would be gut loaded crickets?

The one thing that I feel that I know nothing about is heating and lighting for these guys. From what I've read there needs to be a hot and cool side of the tank, with the hot side hovering around 89 degrees F, and the cooler side being between 77-80.
    What are specific products that people have used? Do you need a timer to make sure that heat is applied during a certain time? What about at night? Please don't be shy on detail!

Thanks!
    C. ciliatus- GreenBean, Mr. Red,
    R. leachianus- Dragonite
    M. chahoua- Oliver
    2 5G planted Betta tanks

I like 20g longs set on their side to give a tokay the maximum amount of walking space, and it's a little easier to have temperature gradients. I have an Ultratherm under tank heat pad on the bottom, and you can get a clamp lamp with a red heat bulb for reptiles higher up in the tank. Personally, I've had good experiences with Zilla's "Night red heat" bulbs.

Cocofiber/eco earth is a decent substrate but with all the heat it's hard to keep the humidity in, and dried eco earth poses an impaction risk. If you're not interested in doing a planted tank, you could just do paper towels(that's what I use, easy to clean up and swap out) and mist in the morning and heavily at night.

Something I highly recommend to any tokay owners is to get a big tall slab of cork bark, or a large half-log hide and set it upright against the glass. This way, you provide a hidden "tree hollow" that is a very natural way for a tokay to feel safe and secure.
    ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
    7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Comment

Great! I'm assuming the under tank heater is on 100% of the time? How often should the over head bulb be on? I would actually prefer papertowel substrate, should I add some moss to help with humidity? What temperature gradient do you have in your tanks?
      R. leachianus- Dragonite
      M. chahoua- Oliver
      2 5G planted Betta tanks

Comment

Yes, I have my Ultratherm UTHs on 24/7. You can turn the bulb on in the mornings and turn it off just before you go to bed so the tokay gecko has the cooler evening and darkness to come out and explore. You can add moss if you want, it certainly won't hurt. Temps generally range from 75-83*F in tokay tanks at my house depending where in the tank the gecko is, so a little cooler than is recommended(exceptions being the babies I'm raising for a friend, they're almost constantly at a 80-85*F).
        ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
        7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Comment

Thank you!
          R. leachianus- Dragonite
          M. chahoua- Oliver
          2 5G planted Betta tanks

Comment

For my Tokays, I use the smaller heat pad under my flipped 20L with 1½" - 2" of damp cocofiber on the bottom too.
            They make crazy perfect humidity level for them(you just have to keep the substrate damp).
            40w red heat/night lamp at the very top corner(furthest away from the screen ventlation area works best for me) on a dimmer during the day, and off @ night.
            4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
            3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
            1.1.0 Gekko gecko
            2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

Working...
            X