Australia Fall 2011.... teaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia Fall 2011.... teaser

Well, I've only edited 2 pics from the trip so far, as I needed something to go in an Iowa Herp Society flier for a talk I'll be doing next month.
    These are a couple of my favorites....

First up is a Strophurus williamsi we found out and about at around 2am.... Temps were probably around 55F?

Second pic is of a Boiga irregularis we found probably around midnight crossing a dirt road. We had found one a few nights before but I couldn't get it to cooperate as I had hoped for pics. I spent a long time trying different things trying to get a photo like this with the first one, but just couldn't get it to work out.... The second one I decided to have Sarah hold up while I laid down on the ground and shot up towards and finally got what I had been hoping for....

Both pics were taken with a Canon 7d, 60mm macro, and Canon twin flash.
    Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for looking
    Andrew Gilpin
    L.A.C. Herps
    Living Art Creations Herpetoculture

I don't really have much to say except fantastic photos. I just can't get over that blue mouth or those eyes.
    The name Stella fills me with dread.
    Mondegreen Geckos
    >iHerp >Facebook

Comment

I think its so funny how we Northern Hemisphere people seem to have this idea that Australia is always hot and dry! It can get bloody cold there! Great pics, can't wait to see more!
      Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

The funny/ironic thing is how we found the S. williamsi.... I'm a mechanic, and my coworker collects license plates....
        I'd found an Australian plate for him a few days before, and we were road cruising one night after herping all day and evening with Emmanuel Van Heygen, and Willi Henkel.
        As we were driving through the chilly fog early one morning I spotted what looked like a potential license plate zip tied about 5 feet off the ground in a tree about 20 feet off of the side of the highway. I said something to Sarah about how it would be ironic if I found a sweet herp on my way to the license plate in the tree. Sure as shit, there was this badass S. williamsi chilling literally 4 inches from the license plate on the tree.
        A few days later Sarah spotted a license plate in the dirt in the ditch.... as I bent down to grab it and dust it off she said " Hey, look around.... maybe it's a sign and we're supposed to find something else" Less than 10 feet away I caught the eye shine of a cool frog species we hadn't found yet under a clump of dirt.... Now I just wonder what may have been laying near the first license plate we found and didn't look around?
        Andrew Gilpin
        L.A.C. Herps

Comment

Wow, very cool!
          What camera did you use?
          -Louisa
          Beachside Geckos
          My iHerp
          Facebook

Comment

Nice pics.... so whats with those Aussies leaving license plates laying around everywhere? lol
            -Will
            My Facebook
            ôResentment is like drinking a poison and waiting for the other person to die." Carrie Fisher

Comment

Wow great pics I love the one of the boiga
              www.Rhac-Shack.co.uk
              11.20. ? - R. ciliatus.
              2.2.1 - R. chahoua.
              2.2. - R sarasinorum.
              1.5 - R auriculatus.
              1.1 - R. leachianus leachianus Mt Kogis.

Comment

Originally posted by loui1203 View Post
                Wow, very cool!
                What camera did you use?
                Originally posted by L.A.C Herps View Post
                Both pics were taken with a Canon 7d, 60mm macro, and Canon twin flash.

Awesome pictures as usual Andrew! Love the blue mouth and those awesome eyes on that Strophurus williamsi!
                My iHerp Page

http://www.facebook.com/TaraLeighsCresties

Comment

Originally posted by WillC View Post
                  Nice pics.... so whats with those Aussies leaving license plates laying around everywhere? lol
                  Well, we drove probably 5,000 miles and hiked around 120 miles or so in 3 weeks. We covered quite a lot of ground. I'd think if you did a similar amount in the states you'd find at least that many. Not sure if they were ripped off of cars in accidents or just fall off or what.

Originally posted by sarasin View Post
                  Wow great pics I love the one of the boiga
                  We were happy to find the two live ones after finding one DOR a couple of weeks prior. Definitely cool snakes. The one pictured here is about 5.5 ft. long.
                  Originally posted by tlbowling View Post

Awesome pictures as usual Andrew! Love the blue mouth and those awesome eyes on that Strophurus williamsi!
                  Thanks
                  I was happy to find it for sure. We also found two strophurus ciliaris that I really enjoyed photographing as well. Hopefully I'll get to all of the pics one of these days....
                  Andrew Gilpin
                  L.A.C. Herps

Comment

Awesome teaser! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the great pics!

Did you have as much fun with customs as Dunlop?
                    Coleonyx-Correlophus-Eurydactylodes-Mniarogekko-Paroedura-Phelsuma-Rhacodactylus
                    ROC Geckos
                    Geckos of Madagascar and New Caledonia

Comment

I too am really anxious to see more pictures! Australia has some really great native herps!
                      Thanks for a little teaser!
                      Kelly @ Tree Devil Geckos
                      Producing Awesome Leachianus geckos and Gargoyle geckos since 2017
                      http://www.treedevilgeckos.com
                      http://facebook.com/treedevilgeckos
                      http://www.instagram.com/treedevilgeckos

Comment

I'm hoping to go through a majority of the photos within the next month, so I'll post some updates with pics as I'm able.
                        Thanks again for the comments
                        Andrew Gilpin
                        L.A.C. Herps

Comment

That second picture is gorgeous!
                          1.1.4 Crested Geckos
                          0.1.0 Boxador (1/2 Boxer-1/2 Black Lab)
                          0.1.0 Girlfriend who likes my geckos but doesn't understand the obsession.

Comment

sounds like it was a really fun trip. Australia has been my dream trip since i was a kid. sure there's poisonous things down there but seeing those lizards and whatnot first hand and up close would be just so cool.
                            Crested Geckos-somewhere around 118 and 7 eggs cooking
                            Leachies (GT and Nuu Ana mixes) 1.2
                            Eurydactylodes Agricolae 1.0
                            Rhacodactylus auriculatus 0.1.2
                            http://www.facebook.com/ntfall.arboreals
                            http://www.iherp.com/nightfallarboreals

Comment

Oh that first gecko! How gorgeous! Amazing photography
                              4.10.5 R. ciliatus
                              1.1 E. agricolae
                              0.0.1 R. leachianus
                              "Like" us on facebook:

Comment

Working...
                              X