White-lined/Skunk Geckos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White-lined/Skunk Geckos

(I posted this in "off topic" then realized I should have posted it here, so here it goes again)

There had been a poor depressing gecko at my local petco for a couple months now. It's gotten to the point where the store has reduced the sales price of it. S/he looks in good health and has pretty nice floors, and I have the space and supplies for it.

I was just wanting some input on the species from some current owners or someone with experience with these guys. Whet do you think of them? Do they good pets?
    I have 2 cresteds that I've had for over 2 years, would it's needs be similar? I have researched a bit, do they only eat crickets and mealworms and such or is there a type of gecko diet for them also?
    Any advice would be helpful. If he's still there this coming week I have a feeling I'm gonna take him home.

These guys do not handle as well as crested geckos do. They are extremely flighty and have delicate skin. Some CB babies raised up have been tolerable to handling, but WC adults generally will always stay flightly.

They do enjoy basking spotlights, usually around 82 degrees with room temperature else where in the cage. Vertical is better for these guys, heavily planted with lots of hiding places.

They eat crickets and roaches, but are frugivorous as well. Mine loved CGD. One heavy spraying at nice is good, though I always offered mine a water bowl as well.

Good luck!
    Cloud9reptiles.com
    Facebook

Comment

I've been on the fence about getting a pair of these for awhile now.
      Most don't like them because they are drab and plain, but I actually like them.

As far as care goes, they're actually related to Tokays, and hence, their care is virtually the same, with very minor differences.
      So basically, if you can take care of a Tokay, you can house a Skunk Gecko.
      4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
      3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
      1.1.0 Gekko gecko
      2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

I went by today with my Pepps. The gecko is still there, and still reduced price. I asked one of the store associates about it and then he called the other guy over and we had a funny discussion about it. They told me about how he's super quick and they're afraid of the little thing escaping if they handle it. They even told me how one guy was handling him and it climbed up his arm and was on his face before he knew it and bit him on the bridge of his nose.
        He's a pretty little sucker, but they want nothing to do with him. i did offer that if it comes to a point where they need to get rid of him I'll totally take it. So they'll aske the manager about it and I'll just keep checking on him. I honestly don't expect to do much with him, I won't handle him if he's gonna get super stressed and flighty about it, but I'd rather take him than some random person that just wants a $12 gecko they know nothing about. Even while talking to the reptile handlers I knew more about the species than they did.
        (I even gave one of the guys a lesson on handling the 2 baby cresties they had there) they have no clue about any of those geckos there was a cute little 2" light grey tiger, i could even see some fringing coming in too, the other 3" one looks like it's gonna be a yellowish dal, already has some nice red spots and an "oil spill" (oil cluster) on it. ugh, i have cresteds on my mind lol

Comment

I love my white lineds. yes, they are more flighty than cresties, and faster. They are little cousins to the Tokay geckos. Mine are vocal, they yell at me if I mist them directly and startle them, but they're not very bitey at all. They do like it a bit warmer than cresties, a basking spot of around 82ish and mine will eat a variety of pretty much anything. All my white lineds like CGD, crickets, mealies, roaches, superworms, silkworms and hornworms. I mist 'em nightly like my rhacs.
          Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

Originally posted by Saille View Post
            but they're not very bitey at all.
            HAHAHA it's funny you say that, cause I think i've been bitten by more WL Gex than I have Tokays!
            4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
            3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
            1.1.0 Gekko gecko
            2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

My boyfriend picked up a White-lined at a show we went to last year. We actually got him instead of a tokay, as we heard WL's were less bitey. Really cute little bugger, I'd totally have one again one day if we had the room (my boyfriends best friend and fellow reptile enthusiast fell in love with him so we gave him away). Very vocal and fast, but tolerated handling quite well. Never bit either of us. We did startle him one day which made him drop the tip of his tail though! Very easy care too, and watching him hunt was always awesome, he was so fast!

His name was Randall, after the Monsters Inc. villain.

1.2.3 Crested Geckos
              0.1 R. Leachianus 1.0 Corn Snake 1.0 E. Agricolae 1.0 M. Chahoua 1.1 G. Hainanensis 0.1 Bearded Dragon

facebook- iHerp

Comment

Originally posted by hypnotoad View Post
                His name was Randall, after the Monsters Inc. villain.
                Dude that's exactly what I was thinking of naming the little guy. I'm still keeping an eye out on him at the store. And if he's still there in a week when I get paid, he's soooo mine. His dyes are orange and he's dark, like a really deep brown not quits black but close. I love his tail curl I'm already falling in love heh.

Comment

Originally posted by KolbyCrest View Post
                  Dude that's exactly what I was thinking of naming the little guy. I'm still keeping an eye out on him at the store. And if he's still there in a week when I get paid, he's soooo mine. His dyes are orange and he's dark, like a really deep brown not quits black but close. I love his tail curl I'm already falling in love heh.
                  Really??? That makes me irrationally happy! And yeah the tail curl is absolutely adorable, isnt it? Make sure you post lots of pictures when you pick him up.

1.2.3 Crested Geckos
                  0.1 R. Leachianus 1.0 Corn Snake 1.0 E. Agricolae 1.0 M. Chahoua 1.1 G. Hainanensis 0.1 Bearded Dragon

facebook- iHerp

Comment

Yeah white lines are absolutely beautiful, but they are stupid fast, I have just started breeding them and one of my hatchlings got away from me. For the next 30 minutes after that I was trying to coax him out from between the molding of my window (though I eventually did thankfully). I would also like to note they are extremely hardy and are extremely tolerant of keeper error... I would know . Also, since it is from a pet store it is probably wild caught (they always are around where I live), so its going to be really really stressed (also caused by it being in a petco setup, which was probably not the best, again drawing off of experience with local petcos) and there's a good chance it has worms. All in all though just as everyone else said here they are fantastic geckos
                    Sean Mchugh

Currently breeding Gekko vittatus, Mniarogekko chahoua, Eurydactylodes agricolae, and Eurydactylodes vieillardi

Comment

Agreed, you will likely need to worm your white lined if its coming from Petco. The good news is, if you can catch em in the enclosure, they're very easy to give oral meds to. They gape quite readily!
                      Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

Originally posted by aragin08 View Post
                        Yeah white lines are absolutely beautiful, but they are stupid fast,
                        i laughed so loud at this... it scared my dogs

I do intend to let this one be a calm ornamental pet. i may work with him later on, but initially i will let him be for a couple weeks.
                        where would i get dewormer? vet clinic, or would it be available at a pet store?

Comment

You are first going to want to send in a fresh fecal sample to your vet to get it examined for parasites, I am pretty sure you need to do this twice waiting 2 weeks between tests (though I forgot the reason why, could someone confirm this one for me please?) If it is positive then you will probably be able to get what you need from your vet. Good luck!
                          Sean Mchugh

Currently breeding Gekko vittatus, Mniarogekko chahoua, Eurydactylodes agricolae, and Eurydactylodes vieillardi

Comment

Working...
                          X