Beardie Foster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beardie Foster

Somehow ending up fostering a Beardie. I blame it on peer pressure from my coworkers. =) She is a sassy lady, very stressed. Poor girl doesn't know what is happening. Any tips on Beardies? Done a lot of reading but never had one.

~Amber~
    "Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"
    Anyanka's Geckos
    RIP Willow, Darwin, Tara and Chai. I miss and love you all!

I'm keeping her! =)
    ~Amber~
    "Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"
    Anyanka's Geckos

Comment

Congrats on you new girl, she is quite pretty! I'm sure Melissa can probably give you some tips. I know she's responded with excellent advise to several threads with questions on them; might want to do a search and se what all she has recommended previously. Good luck with her
      Andi - Gray Sky Exotics
      www.iHerp.com/Hannibal
      www.facebook.com/andi.vanzant

Comment

Thank You! I've gone back and read through the threads. I love her already. The way she looks at me. It is wonderful..so much intelligence in the way she looks at me.
        ~Amber~
        Anyanka's Geckos

Comment

I am going to formally introduce Tír na nÓg to you all. Her name is Irish and it means Land of Eternal Youth. One of my favorite horse movies.

A few more photos:

Stop pointing that thing in my face, Mum!

~Amber~
          Anyanka's Geckos

Comment

She's beautiful! Congrats on your new girl; beardies are such personable creatures.
            Lisa
            1.0.0 ornery cat
            1.2.0 greyhounds
            2.0.0 russian hamsters
            2.1.0 tarantulas
            0.1.0 short-tailed opossum
            0.0.1 R ciliatus

Comment

Thank You. She is very personable.
              ~Amber~
              Anyanka's Geckos

Comment

I have two beardies, Lizzi and Luci and they are amazing, I love them.

I don't have any specific advice but can certainly answer any questions you might have. She's very pretty

Comment

They are easy to keep. Crickets for food, you can add a small bowl of greens(I use lettuce) and you can dust the crickets with calcium powder, but it doesnt need done everyday. I have them on a UVB 5.0 light during the day. Other then that and keeping them warm they are easy to keep.

I love the way they head bob and arm wave. Its funny.
                  3.2.1 crested geckos
                  1.1 bearded dragons
                  4.0 ball pythons
                  1.1 boas
                  2.0 tokay geckos
                  2.0 corn snakes
                  1.4 rats(breeders)

Comment

Congratulations on your new beardie. They are so much fun!

My son had on for 8 years; broke his heart when she died from cancer. Fast forward two years and my parents and I bought him a 6 month old female for Christmas. They are wonderful animals that bring great joy to your life.

We would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

I use this list when shopping for Angel's greens, fruits and vegetables. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html A younger dragon may not be as interested in salad, but it should be offered every day. They will be more interested in bugs. We feed Angel silkworms and hornworms as a staple and will put phoenix worms on her salad sometimes to trick her into eating a little. I really dislike crickets so no one gets them here. I will dust the salad with calcium but don't dust the bugs. She does have a water bowl but likes to play in it rather than drink from it. She gets her moisture from the salad and bugs.

Her tank is a 40 breeder crittercage with a screen lid. She will move up to a custom made tank when she outgrows this on. We have TerraTile as a substrate (easy to wipe clean with clorox wipes after a poo) several hides and a basking area on one side the basking light is a power sun mercury vapor that is both her heat and uvb so we just have the one light. It also give the right temp gradient.

Enjoy you new friend. I swear they listen when you talk. My son calls Angel a lizard dog because she is so clam and attentive to what we are doing.

Lora

Comment

Sorry I got distracted didnt see the beardie bat signal lol.

Congrats on the beardie!

As for tips, invest in a temp gun or get a digital probe thermometer. Dont let her bully you into only giving her bugs, these guys are very easy to spoil and will try and hold out for them. But if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!
                      lets just say I have a lot of stuff
                      www.sublimereptiles.com
                      Facebook
                      BOI

Comment

Congrats on your Dragon. Here is a link to a care sheet from one of my favorite bearded dragon breeder, http://www.rioreptiles.com/docs/CARESHEET.pdf. If you are choosing a linear strip fluorescent rather then a MVB bulb then I would recommend the Arcadia over the Reptisun, although Reptisun is perfectly fine if that's all you can get. Here is a link to a site where you can by Arcadia bulbs http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/.

Here is another site with great information about reptile lighting, http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-tests.htm

A lot of people feel very strongly about substrate, sand or no sand? I have used both and feel that my dragons actually prefer washed play sand, often digging in it making a resting spot in the evening. I am currently using shelf liner ( no dust, so can display their colors better, vain, I know) and even my wife commented that they look depressed since I took the sand out, lol. Many top breeders keep their dragons on sand.

If you want to build your own enclosure I like these plans
                        http://www.mccarthyboas.com/EZ_Prints.html
                        http://www.rioreptiles.com/instructions.html

I have built my own cages and use Boa master 3ft dragon cages for 180$ shipped, http://boamaster.com/products/3ft_b_..._top-47-3.html

Since you mentioned that your girl is very stressed make sure that you have at least 3 sides of the enclosure covered if she is in a glass tank and have a cave for her. I use 3 paving stones from home depot to build a cave slash basking spot, 2 on the bottom and one across the top with the cave in the middle. They would dig all around this in the evening when kept on sand.

I would also recommend Phoenix worms as snacks, the lauric acid has antimicrobial properties and they are super rich in calcium.

Good luck with your new friend.
                        Last edited by Dobeyxxl; 01-09-2012, 11:28 PM.
                        “they who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither nor safety”

Comment

Thanks All! I love her already!

Any tips on switching her from pellet diet to veggies?
                          ~Amber~
                          Anyanka's Geckos

Comment

More photos:

~Amber~
                            Anyanka's Geckos

Comment

Just jump in head first lol. One I would switch that bowl out, beardies are pretty messy and she will tip if. If you dont want to buy a new one, something as simply as a paper plate will honestly work, but beardies really need tip proof stuff for their chunky butts.

But beardies can be stubborn so it may take her awhile, try buying a small amount of mustard, collard and dandilion greens (these should be the 3 staple greens anyways). If she shows no interest in them try mixing in a bit of spring mix in it. If she happily eats the mix that way, just slowly cut back on the amount of spring mix in it. But these guys are smart, they will eat around greens also to just get the ones they like. So if you find this happening, just chop the greens she likes very finely and she will have a harder time getting them, she will be required to take a mouth full of the ones she cares less for also. If she wont eat them regardless, you can try putting things like sweet potato or butternut/acorn squash on top of it finely shredded. The bright color, sweet smell/and taste usually draws them in. You can try it also with red/yellow/orange peppers but the squash is a healthier choice. I sometimes as a treat will pour a little CGD on top of her greens, Hathor loves it. You can also try mashing fruit and mixing it with the greens, like a single strawberry or a couple of raspberries to see if that will interest her, if she wants the fruit she will be forced to eat the greens. The fruit would be the last choice as fruit really need to be limited in their diet, the way I listed the ways to do it would be the steps to go out getting her to eat it, if idea one doesnt work, try idea 2.

As far as sand/no sand....if youre going to do sand do wash play sand, however there are still drawbacks. With any particle substrate you will always have a chance for impaction. Some people have great success with it, others....well lets just say I have seen many bearded dragons come through our vets office impacted from even wash kids play sand. Myself I switched off of it eons ago. The thing is people seem to forget, this is not a desert species, they dont live in sand in the wild, why give it to them in captivity? They come from a dry soil area, used to slightly more firm ground, not such soft ground as sand. But also another drawback of sand is the smell. Once these guys go to the bathroom it in, it is forever dirty, I dont care if you just cleaned up right after it, there is bacteria now living in the sand, which is what causes the odor. Sand and bacteria LOVE one another, and the only way to get rid of it is to do complete tank changes quite often . If you feel the need to give your bearded dragon sand because you think they like to dig in it, give them a kitty litter box, this is a much more easily manageable size (and yes they can be litter box trained), when feeding crickets you have a far less chance of impactions as it isnt the entire tank, a far better option.
                              lets just say I have a lot of stuff
                              www.sublimereptiles.com
                              Facebook
                              BOI

Comment

Working...
                              X