Tokay Problem..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokay Problem..

Okay C: So I have two tokay geckos, Rondo and Friend. I got them in the same month, and they are housed separately. I feed them both calcium and vitamin dusted crickets, and every once in a while I put CGD in their cages.. In the last week Rondo has looked SO bad.. I can ACTUALLY pick him up (He's not tamed) and he just sits there, and he's getting skinny and I need help. I don't want him to die.. not for my purposes, just I feel soo bad.. Friend is doing perfect, he's a chunky aggressive tokay.
    Crested Geckos 3.4.10.2
    Gargoyle Geckos 2.0.3
    Beagle 0.1.0 ~(Tootsie Belle)
    Guinea Pig! 0.1

Originally posted by Sillylittlegecko View Post
    Okay C: So I have two tokay geckos, Rondo and Friend. I got them in the same month, and they are housed separately. I feed them both calcium and vitamin dusted crickets, and every once in a while I put CGD in their cages.. In the last week Rondo has looked SO bad.. I can ACTUALLY pick him up (He's not tamed) and he just sits there, and he's getting skinny and I need help. I don't want him to die.. not for my purposes, just I feel soo bad.. Friend is doing perfect, he's a chunky aggressive tokay.
    Have you tried to force feed him? Does he eat or not? You didnt specify. Does he bark at you? Can you send pics? I have some experience with them as I own two but havent seen my display these symptoms.
    3.2.1 crested geckos
    1.1 bearded dragons
    4.0 ball pythons
    1.1 boas
    2.0 tokay geckos
    2.0 corn snakes
    1.4 rats(breeders)

Comment

Tokays may decide to stop eating if they are uncomfortable. You will want to make the temperature a little warmer and start off slowly with food.

I also feed mine pinkies in addition to crickets, they love the pinkies. Its kinda weird to see the tokay chomping down on the pinkie, but over time you get use to it.
      3.2.1 crested geckos
      1.1 bearded dragons
      4.0 ball pythons
      1.1 boas
      2.0 tokay geckos
      2.0 corn snakes
      1.4 rats(breeders)

Comment

What is the tempature at? and could he be in any kind of stress? and yes pics would be helpful to us that way we can give you the best advise.

Comment

Originally posted by HelpYouWalk View Post
          Have you tried to force feed him? Does he eat or not? You didnt specify. Does he bark at you? Can you send pics? I have some experience with them as I own two but havent seen my display these symptoms.

I haven't, and he's eaten the later couple of days, just recently he's been llike this. (Last 3 days..)

and thank you guys for replying so fast. I'm so worried.
          Crested Geckos 3.4.10.2
          Gargoyle Geckos 2.0.3
          Guinea Pig! 0.1

Comment

He did bark though. Which is better then him not doing anything, and you know its bad because I can pick him up . Usually he attacks everthing..
            Crested Geckos 3.4.10.2
            Gargoyle Geckos 2.0.3
            Guinea Pig! 0.1

Comment

How long have you had them? Are they wild caught or captive bred? If wild caught, did they receive any basic treatments before or after you got them? What are the tank temperatures and hot spot? Do you mist for water or have you confirmed they drink from a bowl?
              19.21.10.45 Tokay Geckos: Normals, Granites, Patternless, Calico/Pieds, Hets, & Unproven Aberrants
              7.6.0.16 Other Gekko species *** 1.1 Leachianus *** 5.10.7 Geckolepis maculata & typica Fish Scaled Geckos *** 1.0 CB Knight Anole
              1.2 Pachydactylus tigrinus *** 1.0 Pyxie Frog *** 10 Tarantulas & 1 Jumping Spider
              www.SpottedScales.com *** Spotted Scales FB

Comment

Originally posted by Kita View Post
                How long have you had them? Are they wild caught or captive bred? If wild caught, did they receive any basic treatments before or after you got them? What are the tank temperatures and hot spot? Do you mist for water or have you confirmed they drink from a bowl?
                I got them from Petland.. I assume they are captive bred, and with all my geckos, Take temp. is 72 andthe hot spot is 77.. I mist AND have a water bowl
                Crested Geckos 3.4.10.2
                Gargoyle Geckos 2.0.3
                Guinea Pig! 0.1

Comment

Tokays should have a hot spot from 80 to 90 degrees and the cool end should be 70 to 80 degrees. That could be why he is not doing well trun up the heat a little bit and see what happens and petland is a not so good place to get any reptiles I use to get reptiles from petland a very long time ago and they always seem sick and not been taken care of well.

Comment

I highly suggest getting both of them wormed because the chance of them being captive bred is from a place like that is slim to none. All wild caught animals have internal parasites and the stress of being shipped in and moved around lowers their normal defenses making them more susceptible to the parasites. I also agree on them needing higher temperatures as that helps with natural recovering and digestion.
                    19.21.10.45 Tokay Geckos: Normals, Granites, Patternless, Calico/Pieds, Hets, & Unproven Aberrants
                    7.6.0.16 Other Gekko species *** 1.1 Leachianus *** 5.10.7 Geckolepis maculata & typica Fish Scaled Geckos *** 1.0 CB Knight Anole
                    1.2 Pachydactylus tigrinus *** 1.0 Pyxie Frog *** 10 Tarantulas & 1 Jumping Spider
                    www.SpottedScales.com *** Spotted Scales FB

Comment

He just died... So.. Thanks everybody...
                      Crested Geckos 3.4.10.2
                      Gargoyle Geckos 2.0.3
                      Guinea Pig! 0.1

Comment

Aww I'm so sorry for your lost from now on I think if you do get another tokay gecko look at reptile shows or look for good breeders. Don't get then from petland they don't take care of there animals the right way trust me I know. Again sorry to here that this little fella has pass away my thoughts and heart go out to you.

Comment

Wow, I'm sorry to hear this. I would make sure what ever you do now you don't cross contaminate the other tokay. Make sure you dont handle him before washing your hands. I'm sure you know not to give the deceased tokays bowls or hides to the other tokay.
                          3.2.1 crested geckos
                          1.1 bearded dragons
                          4.0 ball pythons
                          1.1 boas
                          2.0 tokay geckos
                          2.0 corn snakes
                          1.4 rats(breeders)

Comment

Yeah HelpYouWalk is right you should clean the hides and bowls really well with 2% bleach with hot water if you do use them again or with the other gecko you have right now. And after you clean the hides and bowls let them dry for a week but don't give them to your other tokay without cleaning them really well.

Comment

Awwww, I'm sorry for your loss. I would still suggest getting your other tokay wormed/fecal checked just in case, even though it appears to be eating well. The advice others have given you about temps is sound advice as well.

With a new species, its always a learning process and at least you care enough to ask for advice to try and do right by your animals.

I do agree that buying CBB from a known breeder (Kita on here works with Tokays currently and has beautiful healthy animals) is a much safer and better bet than going through petstores that still get WC specimens in.

Sending good thoughts for your remaining Tokay, and good luck with any future tokays you get!
                              Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

Working...
                              X