Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please

I have a young cat gecko, which was recently bought a show. When we got it home we realised it had what looks like an abscess were the hemipenes would be. The problem I have is how to treat it, has anyone had anything similar. I really don't think my vet could help, as the gecko is so small, and they do get stressed easily.
    I thought about sugar and water that they use for a prolapse, but does anyone know of anything else I could use to 'draw' the abscess?
    www.Rhac-Shack.co.uk
    11.20. ? - R. ciliatus.
    2.2.1 - R. chahoua.
    2.2. - R sarasinorum.
    1.5 - R auriculatus.
    1.1 - R. leachianus leachianus Mt Kogis.

I really wouldn't know what to do either... but warm compresses work for people.. not sure how that would bode for a gecko...
    C. ciliatus- GreenBean, Mr. Red,
    R. leachianus- Dragonite
    M. chahoua- Oliver
    2 5G planted Betta tanks

Comment

If it is an abscess, you either have to have a vet take it out, or wait for it to grow large enough to push its way through the skin. As it grows, it will wear on the skin, creating a thin spot that eventually opens. The abscess itself is the consistency of cheese; not something you can aspirate through a needle. Once out, it kind of leaves a hole which absolutely must be treated with antibiotics. Not the ideal situation, but that's how it plays out without vet intervention.
      Are you sure it's an abscess? If not, can you post a pic so we can take a look?

Noelle

Comment

Originally posted by rcarichter View Post
        If it is an abscess, you either have to have a vet take it out, or wait for it to grow large enough to push its way through the skin. As it grows, it will wear on the skin, creating a thin spot that eventually opens. The abscess itself is the consistency of cheese; not something you can aspirate through a needle. Once out, it kind of leaves a hole which absolutely must be treated with antibiotics. Not the ideal situation, but that's how it plays out without vet intervention.
        Are you sure it's an abscess? If not, can you post a pic so we can take a look?

Noelle
        Thanks for the replies, I am not certain its an abscess, but cant think what else it could be. Any advice is appreciated, its just because the gecko is so small that I am finding it hard to think how best to treat it. I have shown the pics to the seller, and they agree it looks like an abscess

www.Rhac-Shack.co.uk
        11.20. ? - R. ciliatus.
        2.2.1 - R. chahoua.
        2.2. - R sarasinorum.
        1.5 - R auriculatus.

Comment

Sure looks like an abscess. There's honestly not much you can do other than keep checking on it. Unless you have a really good herp vet, it would be difficult to effectively excise it in a gecko that size. In my experience, they wouldn't anesthesize a reptile that small. The trauma probably could do him in. If it breaks the skin though, you'll need some meds. Sorry for the little guy!

Noelle

Comment

Originally posted by rcarichter View Post
            Sure looks like an abscess. There's honestly not much you can do other than keep checking on it. Unless you have a really good herp vet, it would be difficult to effectively excise it in a gecko that size. In my experience, they wouldn't anesthesize a reptile that small. The trauma probably could do him in. If it breaks the skin though, you'll need some meds. Sorry for the little guy!

Noelle
            Thanks Noelle, that's what I thought about the vet too, my vet is actually very good, but I think even she would struggle with a gecko that size. I had hoped someone might have a suggestion on something I could use to 'draw' the abscess.
            I guess I will just have to keep an eye on it, and if it does burst get it to vet for some antibiotics.
            www.Rhac-Shack.co.uk
            11.20. ? - R. ciliatus.
            2.2.1 - R. chahoua.
            2.2. - R sarasinorum.
            1.5 - R auriculatus.

Comment

I'd still get it to your vet. Even lancing the abcess with a needle to get it out will be less painful than letting it burst on it's own. The whole goal is to get the infection out. If it stays in the body you risk sepsis and/or death. This will take a much greater toll on your gecko (stress wise) than a quick visit to the vet to relieve pain. The vet would also be able to prescribe you a proper topical antibiotic to treat it (lets face it... triple antibiotic ointment doesn't cut the mustard for serious infections like an abscess.) and possibly some pain control. I know it is tiny, but that doesn't change the treatment for an abscess will be the same as for a larger animal.

Now if it turns out to be a growth, you've got other decisions to make. The only way to find out would be to get an aspirate and look under a microscope.

best of luck.
              I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

0.1.1 Uromastyx, 1.0.0 AFT, 0.1.0 Leo, TOO MANY cresties, LOTS of gargs, 1.1.0 KSB, 1 fan toed gecko,1.0.0 Nigel kitty, 1.0.0 Turkelton Sausages dog

Comment

Working...
              X