Who has Agricolae?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has Agricolae?

I've found a few sites with information about their care and husbandry, but I'd like more. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. I'm really interested in getting a pair of these.
    Formerly known as eel588, new name same great taste!

Are you looking for more care info or looking for a vendor?

I picked up my first hatchling from DDReptiles last fall. She(?) is awesome. These geckos have a ton of personality and care is damn near identical to cresteds too. Main difference is these guys are MUCH smaller. Adults are 5-7g depending on gender. Females are tough to find and when you find them, you pay a premium. Yearling males are easiest to find so start young, but keep in mind that will mean TINY crickets.

Most of the reason you aren't finding much for information out there is because these geckos are not commonly kept yet. You should be able to get info from the breeder. As far as set up goes, 12x12x18 should house an adult pair with no problem. Fill the tank with vines as these guys like to hug thin branches.

Hope that helps.

And my girl, Jade:
    Coleonyx-Correlophus-Eurydactylodes-Mniarogekko-Paroedura-Phelsuma-Rhacodactylus
    ROC Geckos
    Geckos of Madagascar and New Caledonia

Comment

I have a breeder that has some sexable argricolae, but he hasn't sexed them all yet. I will find out shortly if he has a pair for me or not. Hopefully I can pick them up when I drive out to San Diego for Christmas with the family.

I was looking for more info on them, thanks for the help! From what I read they look incredibly similar to cresteds, but as you said on a smaller scale. It should be simple enough to make the transition, but it's always nice to read about them before you are able to get your hands on some, haha.

As with most reptiles it's better to start off with a smaller setup, what did you use to start out? I'd like to start with 2 separate tubs, then graduate to the 12x12x18 when they reach adult hood.

Thanks for the picture yours is incredibly cute! I love their eyes, they remind me of a zipper.

Comment

Right now mine is in a KK and probably will until I pair her up.
        Coleonyx-Correlophus-Eurydactylodes-Mniarogekko-Paroedura-Phelsuma-Rhacodactylus
        ROC Geckos

Comment

A small, medium, or large KK? I've never used the KKs but I might give it a shot for these guys. Did you have problems with humidity, or is that normally just problematic in their first few months of life?

Comment

Mine is a large, but mediums would work fine for a while. My house stays very dry this time of year and I haven't had any trouble. I spray the tank right before bed and that has worked since September.
            ROC Geckos

Comment

I have a pair of adults, and I keep them in a 10 gallon - it's a little roomy, but they seem to enjoy it just fine. I keep them exactly the same as I keep the Cresties, just in a smaller environment.
              By 2030, a world where no reptile is abused, neglected, or viewed with prejudice.

'Like' our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/partygecko
              Blog: http://ratsinthefreezer.blogspot.com/
              Breeding Projects&More: http://www.iherp.com/partygecko

Comment

I've been keeping them for a little while now. Due to their shorter limbs I've found it beneficial to allow them to have vines and/or thinner twigs/bamboo sticks with some foliage clumps instead of a ton of foliage with fat branches. I really like Bio-Vine because it's easy to bend into shapes that fit the enclosure well. Those Exo-Terra Tall Nanos would probably be fine for 1; I've been using a 12x12x18 for a pair and have pretty good luck this year breeding.

While they do well with Repashy Superfood, I've found it has been very important to also have live food. The adults and sub-adults I've been raising seem more robust and the female has never had any issues as long as I've kept live food available. Even after a season of laying tons of eggs her tail and the 'cap' area at the base of her skull are still looking plump. They do OK with the CGD but they seem more geared toward the live.
                JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

I want one too!! what is so special about their personalities?? I read about their "great " personalities but have yet to find info on what kind of behaviour?? to all the keepers out there..are they like chewies personality wise?? how are they in general??

thanks
                  1.1.0. Crested Gecko
                  0.0.1 Gargoyle Gecko
                  0.1.1 Chahoua
                  0.0.1 leachie- Nuu Ami
                  1.0.0. Yorkie
                  0.1.0. Cockatoo- Aleeta

Comment

Originally posted by farrah65 View Post
                    I want one too!! what is so special about their personalities?? I read about their "great " personalities but have yet to find info on what kind of behaviour?? to all the keepers out there..are they like chewies personality wise?? how are they in general??

thanks
                    I know at least one person who bought one that turned out to be a pissy, snappy little thing but any of the ones that I have or have handled were pretty docile or at most will puff up a bit to try to scare you away.

I've read that males can exude a stinky substance when frightened but I haven't encountered that yet.
                    JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

As far as personality goes, mine are quite calm and docile; they're 'sneaky' little things, and while my male is pretty blah, my female has a personality that's very easy to anthropomorphize. When my mom opened up the box upon arrival and pulled out her little container, the lizard walked to the other side to be away from her. When the container was turned, she walked to the other side again. When the container was turned again, the Agricolae (female) tucked her nose (just up to her eyes) under the paper towel in sort of a 'You cant seeeeeeee meeeeee' action. Other than that, I don't see them in their tank much, as they tend to be the same color as the plants, so they're rather blend-y.
                      By 2030, a world where no reptile is abused, neglected, or viewed with prejudice.

'Like' our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/partygecko
                      Blog: http://ratsinthefreezer.blogspot.com/
                      Breeding Projects&More: http://www.iherp.com/partygecko

Comment

I have a pair and I've found my female to be more laid back than my male. He's got more of a vibrant green than her, so I guess it balances out

I have her in a nano, and him in a 12x12 cube. She was only 2g when I got her, but she's over 5 grams now and ready for an upgrade. I'm hoping to put her in her own 12x12 to match her future bf's, or maybe into a 12x18 and he'll move in when she's ready.

I use tiny branches and vines. They seem to LOVE texture over something smooth, and even if you put your vines in crazy S curves, they'll scoot around them like trains on a track. They hug what they are sitting on, pretty tightly. Including your finger!

The tails are prehensile and nice and fat, over all they really really REALLY remind me of miniature chahoua.

I leave a dish of live in with mine, filling it with tiny dubia once a week and feed repashy every second night. Both of mine love their MRP, especially the female. She'll eat it even on a fresh roach night, she must save room even with all the bugs in that tiny belly!

If you get them younger, and handle gently they tend to be much friendlier. My female doesn't even huff and puff if I put a camera in her face (JB has some great Eury videos on youtube that show the defensive behavior).

I love mine to death, and will def pick up more next season. They're just as fun and easy as rhacs, and have a special element because they're so teeny, but so slow moving.

Here's a pic of each of mine (newest I have of Katniss, though its a gram old at this point)

Haymitch (he was hunkering here)
                        Meg
                        THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
                        on facebook

Comment

Wow, I'm glad to see a solid group of agricolae keepers on here! Reading about them makes me very excited to get a pair (hopefully) and to try a new species. I think at first I'll try keeping each in a KK with a ton of vines and some plastic plants and I'll upgrade when they are able. I have a colony of dubia roaches that I should be able to start feeding from shortly. It will be nice to feed all of my species roaches that I breed and know how they've been eating.

They seem like they grow fast, how long did it take you guys to raise a 1-3 gram agricolae to an adult?

Thanks again for all the help, PLEASE continue the thread it will hold me over until I can get a pair. Many pictures will come with the arrival.

Comment

Mine have grown decently quickly. My little girl was 2.1g when I got her at the October Tinley show, I weighed her on empty at 5.2 grams last night.

I really do enjoy mine quite a bit. My female does seem to like the plants in her tank as well. I have vine like plants with lots of leaves about as big as a fingernail on them, and she can easily climb around on those.
                            Meg
                            THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
                            on facebook

Comment

Originally posted by meg90 View Post
                              Mine have grown decently quickly. My little girl was 2.1g when I got her at the October Tinley show, I weighed her on empty at 5.2 grams last night.

I really do enjoy mine quite a bit. My female does seem to like the plants in her tank as well. I have vine like plants with lots of leaves about as big as a fingernail on them, and she can easily climb around on those.
                              Sounds great, it sounds like I have a pair available and I should be able to pick them up over my leave. I've read on a few different sites that they seem to thrive by having some UV lighting since they are more active during the day. What are your thoughts on this?

Comment

Working...
                              X