No announcement yet.

Rescued Dragon - Tumor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with thermostats at home improvement stores are that they tend to not adjust the temps as fast as it needs to be for the welfare of your animal. You can buy one for once again temporally use but it is not something you can rely on.

Get a proper thermostat as soon as you can.
    Crested Gecko 1.0 (His name is Frogner!)
    Leopard Gecko 1.0 (His name is Vastervik!)

Comment

You can get dimmer switches at home supply stores, but with beardie temps i would suggest an actual reptile thermostat with a probe. reptilebasics.com has them, and Rich is a great guy to do business with. He should be able to answer any of your questions on which unit would work best. There is also a cheaper thermostat on amazon.com, garden-something, its used for plants and stuff. Ive got one I've been using for a few years on a rack, never had an issue with it.

Home supply stores do not sell the right kind of thermostats for reptile use, they sell house units. They don't have an external probe which is what you need.
      Sam, cindersam!

Comment

When you are trying to feed him is it via a syringe or just from a spoon? If you are doing via spoon I would hit up your work and snag a few syringes to feed from.

You can use the bird hand feeding formula however you will need to adjust it a little bit. If you can find Lake's brand, or mazuri use one of those, if not Kaytee will work.

One thing I would invest in is some probiotics, acidophilus, you can buy it at most heath food stores, just be sure you are getting unsweetened kind. There are ones specifically online for reptiles however it is the same thing as human grade. I would also pick up some mustard greens.

With the greens you want to wilt them by boiling them then toss them in the blender and blend them down as much as possible (add some extra water if you have too), draining out the larger pieces. You dont need a ton of this, like I said your beardie needs a bit more protein now over veg matter, but you will want to offer it. You can also toss in sweet potato or butternut squash (both cooked) for some extra vits in there, plus it will naturally sweeten it up.Take this and add it to the bird feeding formula and mix with a little extra water and make it the consistency of pea soup. Dont make it too hot, or too cold, check it on your arm like you would with baby formula. Then add in a few drops of the probiotic.

Now dont make huge batches of this with the hand feeding formula, it cant be reheated so do only make a little more than what you need, yes you will waste alot of it, but really at the size your beardie is, it wont eat too terribly much. And feed this several times a day. If all you get in is like 0.2-0.3ml's of it, that is fine so long as you are offering it 2-3 times a day.

The critical care has everything he needs, as will the hand feeding formula as they offer calcium in the diets. I havent tried CGD as a more long term idea, and by long term I mean a week or so of hand feeding to get the animal the calories needed to get the energy on their own to eat, in the past I have always used critical care, or in a pinch bird hand feeding formula because during those times CGD wasn't available when I was working at the pet store. But then I made it mandatory to keep critical care on hand at all time there for in case of emergencies for birds and reptiles as a source of food until we could get into the vets office, which supplied us with it anyways. There is a longer way to make a slurry using all reptile products, however in the long run it will cost you more than just to use the hand feeding formula. And if you breed roaches of keep crickets you can always later on down the road use it as food for them.
        lets just say I have a lot of stuff
        www.sublimereptiles.com
        Facebook
        BOI

Comment

Sorry I haven't been able to post an update in a while, haven't gotten to a computer. There is a reptile show today that I hope to pick up the dimmer/thermostat and save on shipping, and otherwise I'll have to order one today. I've been keeping a close eye on his temps and they are consistent.

I was able to get the Critical Care on Friday, and started feeding it right away. With the babyfood/CGD I was spoon-feeding but with the Critical Care I have been using syringes. I am only feeding the Critical Care now. It's a little hard to tell exactly how much Dory is eating because it's a little watered down to fit in the syringe and he dribbles a lot, but I'd estimate he's eating roughly 3mls a day total. He's eating 0.5-1ml each feeding. He's also on Metacam for pain once daily. He's not in any obvious pain, just a precaution. He was eating very small pea-sized amounts before and seems to be eating more and more of the Critical care.

He did provide a fecal (finally!) late Saturday night but it was harder than week-old cat poop and I wasn't able to run it. I hope that his next fecal is able to be run. I was very worried that the tumor had progressed to the point that he wasn't able to digest anything at all and would need to be put down, but now I know he's able to poop at least.

I am trying to syringe-feed pedialyte as well and he's getting saunas once a day because I think he's dehydrated, and the fecal proves it. Hopefully now that he's had a couple of days of food in him he'll start to hydrate better. He has a very shallow water dish and I witnessed him being able to crawl to it and hoist himself to the edge, but I have not witnessed him drinking from it yet.

I've never had a beardie before and I don't know if they're typically very "lazy" lizards or if they're typically more active, but he seems awfully lethargic to me. Especially after a sauna or a feeding, it just seems to wear him out so much. Sometimes during his saunas I have to hold his little head up above the water, even though there's only 1/2 inch of water to begin with. But then there are other times where Dory is so alert, and he's watching me from his Sterilte bin, and seems very much alive and I feel like I'm doing the right thing. He likes to sit on my forearm while he's being fed. He can crawl around his bin when he wants to but mostly, though, he likes to bask.

I'm giving him a few days on the Critical Care to perk up and then I'll re-evaluate. I hope that I'm doing the right thing, I'm willing to help him pull through if he has the will to live and is not in pain.
          May you take time to celebrate the quiet miracles that seek no attention.

Comment

Sounds like everything is working out smoothly so far and hopefully you'll get that thermostat at the reptile show.

Healthy bearded dragons are known for being very interested in anything happening outside their enclosure. So that's a very good sign he wants to know what you're up to when he has the energy.

Comment

Today, Dory isn't eating anything - not Critical Care, not babyfood, not CGD. Nothing will entice him to eat and his eyes are closed. He's not interested in food of any kind and will not open his eyes. It's as if defecating that brick has taken absolutely all of his energy. Even under his basking light he seems cool to the touch. When I pick him up his front legs spasm. He just doesn't look good.

I have scheduled the euthanasia. I don't think there is anything more I can do for Dory if he won't eat and won't open his eyes. I think he's lost that spark and that will to live.
              May you take time to celebrate the quiet miracles that seek no attention.

Comment

I completely understand how do you feel. I had to make the same decision when my poor Oslo stopped eating and started having seizure fits.

You did your best and you made him comfortable for the little time you have with Dory.

;(

Comment

Working...
                X