Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updated Uromastyx Pics (Ornates & Egyptians)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated Uromastyx Pics (Ornates & Egyptians)

I just wanted to share some pics of my Ornate uros, The Dude and Red Molly, and my newest Egyptian acquisitions, Balthazar and Peanut.

The Ornates...

The Dude is a LTC from LLL Reptiles, I bought him in September 2009 at the Tucson Reptile Show. I got a really good deal on him - $99 which is the cheapest I've seen young juvies go. I think they may have priced him as a Mali. Probably around 2-4 months when I got him, so today I'm thinking he's about 2.5 years old.

The Dude Then

October 2009, still wrinkly and a bit dehydrated from adjusting to captivity/new home.

November 2009, starting to plump up!

February 2010, he's starting to get his blue on. At this point we have no idea if he's a boy or girl.

April 2010, getting more blue! We're suspecting male at this point, but we'd already named him The Dude so fingers were crossed.

There's a big gap in pics....

The Dude now, pic taken Friday 11/25/11:

I finally learned how to sex these guys so I'm pretty confident The Dude is a boy!

Red Molly is a female we bought in November 2010 from Doug Dix at Deer Fern Farms at the Phoenix Reptile Expo. He didn't breed them, he mentioned he got them from a European captive bred stock. The personalities between Molly and The Dude are quite different, she is much more calm and laid back.

Molly in November 2010, after bringing her home.

Molly in February 2011, sorry for the poor quality pic.

Molly now, pic taken Friday 11/25/11. She's pretty stressed out in this pic, very defensive stance and she's deflated from puffing up. The plastic tub we had her in freaked her out for some reason!

The Egyptians...

I just got a sexed pair (I hope) of Egyptian Uros from Doug Dix at Deer Fern Farms at the Phoenix Reptile Expo last weekend.

Here's the first day (a week ago):

Balthazar on the left, Peanut on the right

They've settled in pretty well and so we took some better pics of them on Friday!

Here's a closeup of Balthazar:

And my little Peanut!

Thanks for looking!
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

They are beautiful. Wow!
    ~Amber~
    "Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"
    Anyanka's Geckos
    RIP Willow, Darwin, Tara and Chai. I miss and love you all!

Comment

Very nice! LOVE The Dude! You take some very nice crystal clear pictures too! Very Beautiful!
      My iHerp Page

http://www.facebook.com/TaraLeighsCresties

Comment

The Dude is awesome!
        JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

AMAZING!!!
          Carrie
          4.7.??? Crested Geckos 1.1 Leachianus 1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
          IHerp

Comment

Thanks everyone! My bf is the photographer, he just got a camera for an early Xmas present so I'll be spamming you with pictures.

Comment

I am looking to get a pair(babies) of ornate or Saharan uromastyx from Doug soon. I thought it was not possible to sex them until adulthood based on color? How do you sex them at a young age? Thankyou for your help. Beautiful uros btw!
              Rhacodactylus Auriculatus

Comment

also how young an age and size?

Comment

Thanks!

The larger they are, the easier they are to sex. Don't necessarily go by color as some males are plainer and some females are brighter. You lift the tail and look for hemipene bulges or lack thereof, similar to bearded dragon sexing. Doug did his best to sex Balthazar and Peanut. Balthazar is most probably a male and Peanut is possibly a female - so not guaranteed but I don't mind having two males at this time since I'm still learning a lot. B & P were around 8 weeks old when I acquired them so I guess that's a starting point for possible sexing.

Pore sexing, according to Doug, can be troublesome as some females have large pores and also exude wax. Most people just wait until Uros are adults and try to sex them according to color, head/jowl shape, pores and other secondary sexual characteristics.

Good luck on finding a pair!

Comment

I really love The Dude!

But they are all adorable
                    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Comment

Ugh, I've loved these guys for years now. I don't know why I've been holding off getting one. They're like bulldogs. Gosh. Just so pretty.

I had no idea they could have BLUE on them. Do Want.
                      The name Stella fills me with dread.
                      Mondegreen Geckos
                      >iHerp >Facebook

Comment

Some species can get blue coloration. The ornates can get powder blue to electric blue, as well as variations of green. I'm sure it can get even better via captive breeding, but not many people are working with them.

Egyptians are just all-around cool and get up to 3ft long and often very friendly. B&P are the microlepis subspecies so they may not get quite that big. Should be a nice sand-color when they grow up. They'll lose their spots most likely.

Comment

Thanks so much spyral! I am definitely looking forward to uros! I LOVE doug's ornates they are stunning! The dude's blue is a completely different side to the ornates and has brought a new fascination for these beautiful creatures! Thank you for sharing, the dude is amazing!

Comment

Thanks for the compliments! Good luck with your uro adventure!

Comment

Working...
                            X