A question for AFT keepers/breeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for AFT keepers/breeders

Can you give me a list of enclosure sizes based on gram weight? My 35ish gram female AFT was recently moved into a 10 gallon. I have a very Rhac-based mind, so I've struggled here and there with her care. My Rhac mind tells me that even a 10 gallon is too small for her, but she seems uncomfortable and shows very little interest in food. It's been 2 months now, and she ate just fine in her smaller home.

If her tank is fine, I'll work on figuring out what else it could be. But I would like a complete list anyway, from hatchling to adult size. Just for future reference. You never know when another gecko will come into your care. I just want to get some things settled before I even consider buying another AFT.

I want to point out that she was moved into the 10 gallon the same night that I officially moved in with my boyfriend. For some reason, she has always refused to eat if he was around. And now she's living in our room, not far from him. The increase to a 10 gallon from a 12x12x12(she was housed in that for nearly 9 months in the pet store, so I got the same size when I adopted her) exo terra, and moving in with him, are the only things that have changed.

Perhaps the only problem is that I need a new boyfriend?
    2.0.3.0 Crested Geckos
    0.0.2.0 Gargoyle Geckos
    0.1.0.0 Leopard Gecko

RIP Houdini, Ruby, and Tabby

A 10 gallon is fine, and Fat tails ARE sometimes finicky eaters. What temp. is her heat mat set to?
    Last edited by TaraLeighsCresties; 11-27-2011, 03:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    My iHerp Page

http://www.facebook.com/TaraLeighsCresties

Comment

Honestly, there are individual geckos that do not like bigger spaces and do much better in smaller enclosures. I would try adding more hides for her to dash into so she doesn't feel exposed and uncomfortable, and see if that fixes the problem first.

Tara also brings up a good point, what are your fat tail's temps? Right around this time of year, many fat tails' appetites taper off as they prepare for their brumation. If she's cooler rather than warmer, her body may be telling her it's time to stop eating for a little while. If she has good tail reserves, then there's nothing to worry about if she's indeed heading into brumation.
      ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
      7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Comment

Her warm side is 89, the cool side is about 75.
        2.0.3.0 Crested Geckos
        0.0.2.0 Gargoyle Geckos
        0.1.0.0 Leopard Gecko

Comment

89 is fine, but I actually keep mine at 92. They still go through spurts of being hungry, or finicky. Seasons have a lot to do with that too. Unless your is loosing a significant amount of weight, I wouldn't worry too much.
          Last edited by TaraLeighsCresties; 11-27-2011, 03:36 PM. Reason: spelling
          My iHerp Page

Comment

Do you provide a basking light? I've read that they're unnecessary, but feel I should ask anyway. And at what weight should I upgrade her tank? I also can't seem to find information on what size enclosures to keep hatchlings and juvies in. I don't really need the information, but I'd like to know anyway. Doing a search on google of the phrase 'crested gecko breeding' gave me that information for cresties, but not when I googled AFT breeding.
            2.0.3.0 Crested Geckos
            0.0.2.0 Gargoyle Geckos
            0.1.0.0 Leopard Gecko

Comment

6 qt sterlite tubs are good for hatchlings, 15 qt for juvies, 32 qt for adults (some breeders stop @ the 15 qt, but that's just too small in my opinion). AFTs don't "bask" so if I do use a light, I've used a 15 watt bulb, just for a day/ night cycle, but if the room gets enough light, I don't use anything but the heat mat.
              My iHerp Page

Comment

My fatties are really lazy. the only come out to eat, then really spend most of the rest of the time chilling out under hides, or hanging out on us while we watch TV.
                Your temps sound good, mine tend to key in on the light cycles outside as well and slow way down this time of year. If you are looking to breed them, they will definitely need to be brumated or they won't ovulate or produce for you next year. Fats can be finicky, but I've managed to get my females to eat a variety of worms and bugs.
                Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

Here's how I do it: hatchling AFT's go in 6 qt tubs in the rack, usually in clutchmate pairs, though at some point I think I had 4 tiny ones in a tub. Usually I keep them there till I sell them, but this year I had 4 at around 10 grams that I wanted to move out of the rack. Believe it or not, I moved them into a 20 long, each with her own small hide. They did fine and chased around that tank after crickets like you wouldn't believe. At the moment I have my last juvie for sale by herself in a 20 long and she does fine.

I keep the hatchlings in the tubs in the rack because it's much easier for them to find and eat the crickets that way. Once they're eating 1/2" crickets or larger, they will do fine in a 10 gallon tank or tub equivalent or larger.

I also find my AFT's can be a bit picky and go off food. One way I jump start some of them is to hold it gently, hold a cricket in my other hand and gently push the cricket against the gecko's mouth. Often it will bite and eat it (I have to say that the AFT's, for all their mild mannered reputations, nip at me more than my leopard geckos) and then get going on their own. In my house, most of the leos have reduced intake due to the season, but not the AFT's.

Aliza

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. She's never been finicky before, so I assumed something was wrong. I have been told before that fat tails can be picky, though. This is just my first time seeing it for myself.

Saille - I'm not breeding her, but thanks for that information! You never know what the future holds. I've gotten her to eat wax worms, mealies, and crickets. I'm thinking she just might want a change. I'm going to go look for some other feeders to get her.
                    2.0.3.0 Crested Geckos
                    0.0.2.0 Gargoyle Geckos
                    0.1.0.0 Leopard Gecko

Comment

I've had excellent luck with small hornworms and silkworms. One of my girls will not touch mealies or phoenix worms, but she pounds down the silks and horns, which is good because they're very good healthy feeders (albeit expensive) anyways!
                      Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

I thought about both of those! One website I looked at had hornworms that turned turquoise because they were fed 'yellow' food. I'm wondering if there'd be any ill effects from feeding those ones.

I cleaned my AFTs tank today, and plopped her down on my boyfriend's chest while he was playing video games. She decided to crawl onto the controller in his hands.

On top of that, she's going into shed. (The pretty jerk always refuses to look at the camera, too.)
                        2.0.3.0 Crested Geckos
                        0.0.2.0 Gargoyle Geckos
                        0.1.0.0 Leopard Gecko

Comment

Working...
                        X