Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Housing a yearling female with adult females?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melissa N.
    replied
    Good points about monitoring, Kelsey. Your input too, Roxanne.

Melissa N.

Leave a comment:

• rhatfield
    replied
    I would wait until she was closer in size, say 30 grams. The much bigger cresties tend to bully small ones. That is over 1/3 size difference, I would not recommend it

Leave a comment:

• rubberduckey273
    replied
    i have only ever housed two females of differing sizes together once, and it didn't work out well. i had assumed that there wouldn't be a problem because they were within 10 grams of each other, but within a week i saw the larger female going after the younger and immediately separated them. i was lucky that i actually saw it happen, because a lot of the time, you wont see anything before someone loses a tail or gets a nice bite mark on them.

i have since house the "aggressive" female with other females closer to her size with no problems. however even females of the same size can go after each other (have also had this happen) so it is important to monitor them closely as long as you have them housed together. and i say as long as they are housed together, because problems can arise well after they've been living peacefully. always keep a spare cage on hand in case you have to separate.

Leave a comment:

• Melissa N.
    replied
    Hi,

Noelle gave you a very good answer. I have a colony of 5 females who live together.
    They have room, and live Sanseveria plants to hide and sleep in. I think the closer in
    size to each other the better, when housing Crested geckos together. When adding
    another gecko to the group, I've found it best to add during the day when the others
    are at rest.

Best wishes.

Melissa N.

Leave a comment:

• rcarichter
    replied
    First, I'm assuming we're talking about cresteds.
    I can't speak for others, but I've been at this many years and I've never had trouble with adult females housed together without a male. All of my girls go through their cooling periods in groups of 3-4. The only real issue--tails. The bigger ones may pounce on her tail, mistaking it for prey. If she's close to the same size, just make sure they have plenty of room, lots of hiding spaces, and plentiful food (especially when you feed live). I use a several paper towel tubes in each enclosure. If she's a lot smaller, she may end up without a tail.

Noelle

Leave a comment:

• RideRed12
    started a topic Housing a yearling female with adult females?

Housing a yearling female with adult females?

Hey everyone!

Just wondering if it would be wise to house our two breeder females (35-38 grams) with out yearling female (21 grams). What are the pros/cons or hazards with this. We just need a place to seperate our breeders from the male for a few months.
Working...
X