Croc Skink Setups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Croc Skink Setups?

If anyone here has a Red Eyed Croc Skink, could you show me your setup? I could also use some advice. I try to keep my tank humid, but I've had a problem with sphagnum moss and wood pieces growing mold. S/He also was previously in a larger tank (20gal tall maybe? not sure) and has been moved to a 10 gal.

Bedding is currently a mix of moss and mulch, with a water bowl he can fully fit in. Two hides, no branches currently because of the mold issue. I mist it daily, usually more than once, screen lid is covered. He (just gonna say "he" since I'm leaning toward male) never comes out in the open, though since I covered most of the floor space with overhanging silk leaves he will visit his water and food bowls during the day (I hear him but dont see him). He wasn't eating much when I first got him from the Tinley expo, but he seems to be eating dusted mealworms regularly now and pooping fine. (in his water. ew.) I haven't seen any evidence of shedding yet, but I haven't had him long.

Any overall tips or info would be appreciated, along with any pictures of setups you may have. Also, pics of the lizards themselves are always good!

(I did research as much as I could find, there wasn't much info on the forums I was on at the time, and I read any caresheets I found.)

[edit] Forgot a pic of my croc =P
    ~Katey~

2.2 Ball Pythons 1.1 RedTail Boa 1.0 CornSnake 0.1 Leopard Gecko 0.0.1 Red Eyed Croc Skink 1.0 Crested Gecko

Nice croc! I do not own one of these awesome critters but have done lots of research cause I have wanted one for a while now. I have read that eco earth is one of the favorite as long as you keep it humid. Misting frequently. As long as you remove the poop you shouldn't have issues
    0.1 Leopard Geckos Summer
    1.0 American tree frogFrogger
    0.1 African Fat Tailed Gecko Mocha
    2.1.5 Crested GeckoTigger Speckles and Freckles The Little ones: Mario, Bolt, Penny, Princess Leia, and Han Solo!!

Comment

Originally posted by rmrider4c View Post
      Nice croc! I do not own one of these awesome critters but have done lots of research cause I have wanted one for a while now. I have read that eco earth is one of the favorite as long as you keep it humid. Misting frequently. As long as you remove the poop you shouldn't have issues
      I had some of that initially, but I couldn't keep it moist enough without it getting nasty, so it just got dusty.
      ~Katey~

2.2 Ball Pythons 1.1 RedTail Boa 1.0 CornSnake 0.1 Leopard Gecko 0.0.1 Red Eyed Croc Skink 1.0 Crested Gecko

Comment

Did you set it up with a drainage layer underneath?

Comment

Originally posted by lauraleellbp View Post
          Did you set it up with a drainage layer underneath?
          I'm not really sure how to do that.
          ~Katey~

Comment

There's several different ways you can go about it, but one of the easiest is to use an inch or two of gravel, aquatic plant gravel, or lecca (clay balls you can find at some gardening stores) and top it with some landscape fabric (the kind you put down to discourage weeds), then put the Eco Earth on top of that. This way the water can run through to the bottom and doesn't just sit in the Eco Earth all the time. Also, you can see whether you're misting too much as you'll see if the water starts building up in the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by lauraleellbp View Post
              There's several different ways you can go about it, but one of the easiest is to use an inch or two of gravel, aquatic plant gravel, or lecca (clay balls you can find at some gardening stores) and top it with some landscape fabric (the kind you put down to discourage weeds), then put the Eco Earth on top of that. This way the water can run through to the bottom and doesn't just sit in the Eco Earth all the time. Also, you can see whether you're misting too much as you'll see if the water starts building up in the bottom.
              Does the water need somewhere to go besides just down into the gravel? Or does it evaporate? Also I'm using a heat pad (my room gets too cold in winter) to keep it warm enough, would a drainage layer interfere with that?
              ~Katey~

Comment

If the heat pad is under the tank and not exposed directly to the water then the heat pad should be safe... but a heating pad may not be effective enough for an arboreal gecko, depending on how much of a temperature gradient you end up with between the bottom of the cage vs the top, where the crestie typically lives.

If you get a water buildup in the gravel, then you're likely misting too much.

If you have issues getting the humidity where it needs to be without ending up with standing water in the bottom, then you may need to install a drain along the lines of how the dart frog people set up their vivariums (see www.Dendroboard.com)

Comment

I keep my pair in a tupperware container with holes drilled on the side. They are on my heat rack over a heat pad at one end of the container. I use spag. moss on the bottom of the tub and have a few pieces of cork bark for them to hide under. I also have a water dish for them to soak in. The tupperware containers really help to keep the humidity in.

If your croc skink has a "wet" look to it, that's a good thing. You don't want a dry croc skink. This will only causes shedding problems and dehydration. During the day, mine will burrow under the moss and corkbark. I give mine a good spray every night. As soon as I start spraying, they pop right out of the moss.
                  Cloud9reptiles.com
                  Facebook

Comment

Do you have access to palm fronds? If you make a coco fiber layered with palm fronds they dig into them. They are semi-aquatic in that they like to sit in water, and yes thats where they go. Have a shallow puddle for them. To give you a clue on how these guys live, when they modify the forest for palm plantations these guys actually seem to increase in number. Basically a nocternal water skink genus similiar to the ones that occur farther north, but seem to be more puddle lovers as far as I could tell.

Comment

Where did you get your croc skink from?

Comment

Originally posted by AeroWRX View Post
                        Where did you get your croc skink from?
                        Picked him up at the Tinley expo with a friend of mine. We got the only two croc skinks I saw there, from LLLReptile.
                        ~Katey~

Comment

Originally posted by Purra View Post
                          Picked him up at the Tinley expo with a friend of mine. We got the only two croc skinks I saw there, from LLLReptile.
                          They look pretty awesome. So yours are WC and not CBB? I remember LLL Reptile did mostly WC.

Comment

Originally posted by AeroWRX View Post
                            They look pretty awesome. So yours are WC and not CBB? I remember LLL Reptile did mostly WC.
                            The Tinley show advertises as a CB or farm bred show only, and they were babies, not the 6"-9" WC on their website. But I know they deal in a lot of WC so I could be wrong. I know I paid $10 more than the website has them for.
                            ~Katey~

Comment

All the reptile shows say CBB only, LLL though does not breed anything. They are mostly just an importer/wholesaler. They spend a lot of money for their space.

Purra, I love your Avatar
                              http://www.chaoticnightsreptile.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X