I was bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was bad

Saw what was supposed to be a 1.3 group of Tokays available, but they ended up being 3.1 since the guy didn't really know and was going by what the seller told him. And they are all super sweet even though they're only recently being handled!

Here's the female, she has this cute little heart on her tail . . . right below a skull!

The big male with a pretty golden belly

These two ended up being young males so now my sex ratio is way off, but they have some neat traits. The first kid is going to end up being called M&M regardless of my naming scheme. Can you tell why?

Though they both have then, this kid's neon tail spots are brighter than the other's. He also has more coppery eyes which is being speculated as a possible gene carrier indicator.

19.21.10.45 Tokay Geckos: Normals, Granites, Patternless, Calico/Pieds, Hets, & Unproven Aberrants
    7.6.0.16 Other Gekko species *** 1.1 Leachianus *** 5.10.7 Geckolepis maculata & typica Fish Scaled Geckos *** 1.0 CB Knight Anole
    1.2 Pachydactylus tigrinus *** 1.0 Pyxie Frog *** 10 Tarantulas & 1 Jumping Spider
    www.SpottedScales.com *** Spotted Scales FB

Want~ @.@
    ♥ 3.8.0.0 Cresties
    ♥ 0.1.1.0 Gargoyle
    ♥ 0.0.1.0 Tokay
    ♥ 0.1.2.0 Leopards
    ♥ 3.4.0.0 Bearded Dragon
    ♥ 1.1.1.0 Axolotl
    C:

Comment

Beautiful Tokays! Congrats on the new additions.
      ~Amber~
      "Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"
      Anyanka's Geckos
      RIP Willow, Darwin, Tara and Chai. I miss and love you all!

Comment

You weren't "bad", you were just doing what comes natural to you! Taking in and taming Tokays, giving them an awesome home!
        Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

Nice!!!!!!! I like them all. Maybe some day I'll up the tokay intake~
          Thank You! -
          I have a lot of geckos......... I stopped counting.
          http://www.geckodome.com

Comment

It just dawned on me that my sister is down from Michigan for our other sister's wedding and not only is she going to help me better my photography and help me make a light box, I can get her to video me handling these new kids since I've been trying to do that for so long! And new Tokays are perfect for that since they haven't yet learned/settled with my handling techniques!

That shall be next weeks project!

I love rescuing Tokays, but I don't know how long I can safely keep those young boys before they start scuffling for territory because none of them are related. If the younger ones were the big pair's offspring, it would be different because they will live in a family community protecting each other until the kids move off on their own, but these boys aren't far off wanting to breed and I don't want that big male picking on them. I just wasn't prepared for so many males to go into quarintine together, though the kid had been keeping them all in a 20 long, so they should be fine long enough for get through their waiting period.
            19.21.10.45 Tokay Geckos: Normals, Granites, Patternless, Calico/Pieds, Hets, & Unproven Aberrants
            7.6.0.16 Other Gekko species *** 1.1 Leachianus *** 5.10.7 Geckolepis maculata & typica Fish Scaled Geckos *** 1.0 CB Knight Anole
            1.2 Pachydactylus tigrinus *** 1.0 Pyxie Frog *** 10 Tarantulas & 1 Jumping Spider

Comment

GIRL.....I leave y'all alone for one second...
              Love them though.
              And you two better let me in on the photo lessons...
              I think 5 species of geckos is enough! Lets not talk about the snakes!

Comment

So Tokays aren't as bad as I originally thought? The first gecko I saw in a reptile shot was a Tokay and I LOVED the way they look, but when I found out the temperament, I lost interest.

Kita, how do your tokays act at the new home after shipping? Do they lose some "tame-ness", or does it follow through with frequent handling?
                Can you imagine a world where they would blur out our middle finger to protect a "consumer" over blurring out an innocent child to protect their integrity and privacy? - Pink
                My Boys!
                1.0 Flame w/Dalmatian Spots - Maynard
                1.0 Halloween w/Dalmatian Spots - Zero
                1.0 Betta fish - Mr. Red Balloon Hands

Comment

Originally posted by Elise.m View Post
                  So Tokays aren't as bad as I originally thought? The first gecko I saw in a reptile shot was a Tokay and I LOVED the way they look, but when I found out the temperament, I lost interest.

Kita, how do your tokays act at the new home after shipping? Do they lose some "tame-ness", or does it follow through with frequent handling?
                  From what I've seen, CB Tokays that have been raised with interaction will stay the same. Tamed WC Tokays depend from animal to animal. Those that are either imported young or have never experienced anything that has 'distressed' them calm the easiest to handling and interaction. They may nip a bit harder than an annoyed/alarmed CB, but the human's reaction to the Tokay's natural defense makes a huge difference in the outcome of the bonding attempt. My mentality as I handle a Tokay is that I am always expecting to be bit in any way and this has enabled me to no longer get startled and react out of reflex which the gecko feeds off of and reacts accordingly.

It must be completely understood that the Tokay's natural defense is an aggressive offense. Someone that is going to jump and/or jerk away every time the gecko barks no matter how hard they try not to would not make a good keeper because the Tokay will recognize it's success and bark more and bite harder. A tame Tokay that isn't in the mood will at least bark and sometimes nip enough to leave spit on your hand.

With an owner's initial introduction to the animal, I recommend letting the animal bite so you know what to expect and the gecko sees that you are unaffected by it so they nip softer and less. Keep in mind that biting just as easily hurt their mouth so most would rather not bite that hard.

Like I said above, I'm going to make a video with these guys so people can see exactly what I mean. Having handled them enough to get them in a KK, weigh them at my house, and put them in a new tank, there should be no change in how they react yet other than the fact that I don't remove them from their tank the way the guy hand so they won't start out thrashing back and forth in my grip. That seems to be an over all Tokay thing: they hate being restrained and doing so (for me) causes some of the hardest bites.

You can kinda get an idea from this video I made for Seri when I sent her Jorja, but she doesn't have any of the reactions a tamed WC usually has with me. This is how I handle all my kids (generally letting them sit instead of constantly moving them obviously) and they (the WCs) usually end up doing the same thing of jumping on me wanting to perch on my shoulder to avoid petting instead of jumping away, unless I keep picking they up from my shoulder.

Comment

I *love* that yellow bellied male! I'd take him in a second. Pretty kids, Kita!!
                    .. Familiar Exotics .. and related Blog ..

*** 7.16.10 Cresties *** 4.5 Gargs *** 1.0 Ibera Greek Tortoise *** 0.1 Rubber Boa *** 0.2.1.2 Mourning Geckos *** 2.1.3 E. agricolae *** 1.2.2.7 L. williamsi *** 1.1 C. sarasinorum ***

Comment

I am loving that female!
                      C. Ciliatus / R. Auriculatus / M. Chahoua / C. Sarasinorum / R. Leachianus / U. Sikorae / E. Vieilardi / E. Guttata / G. Gecko / A. Felinus / C. Elok /
                      facebook.com/TreeHuggerGeckos

Comment

Congrats on the new additions!
                        I can't belive how calm they are right off the bat!
                        4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
                        3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
                        1.1.0 Gekko gecko
                        2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

Working...
                        X