Insectivorous lizard? Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insectivorous lizard? Suggestions?

I have a dubia colony in the several thousands >.> I am looking for a Lizard/Gecko that will devour/crush them and bring be great pride watching it destroy them. I have several rhacs, a golden gecko, and two leopard geckos. But none of them truly satisfy my want to watch them eat roaches. The leos do good, but they're kind of like dinosaurs, I love them regardless but will be going to white plains and hamburg this year for the first time and would like to pick up something that will really go to town of the roaches, that isn't a BEARDED DRAGON, any ideas?

Ackie monitors. I love my red and it is an absolute destroyer when it comes to insects. Stays a reasonable size as well, about the same as a beardie. When mine is warmed up and feeling hungry it can really bring the pain (to the insects).
    My reviews!
    Arachnoboards
    Fauna BOI

My iHerp
    Facebook: Tiger Reptiles

Comment

Adult beardies. They can eat tons of roaches
      1.0.0 Rose hair
      1.0.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
      1.0.0 Cockatiel
      0.2.0 Parakeet
      0.2.0 Ferrets

Comment

Adult Panther and Veiled chameleons are also known for being able to put away a ton of bugs.
        Coleonyx-Correlophus-Eurydactylodes-Mniarogekko-Paroedura-Phelsuma-Rhacodactylus
        ROC Geckos
        Geckos of Madagascar and New Caledonia

Comment

I think in the long run, you'd be better off sending those dubias out as Christmas gifts to all your friends here at Pangea.

Noelle

Comment

I have a four year old Sudan Plated Lizard and he crushes anything and everything! I can't believe how much he eats! I usually feed him about 20 crickets every other or second day and he sucks them down within minuets! He's also a way better hunter than any of my leos and rarely misses. He also will eat leafy greens but prefers bugs; I think because he wasn't offered them much in his previous home (I adopted him about 2 months ago).
            They are also really neat looking and are relatively calm and handleable. Here's a picture of the big guy in all his prehistoric-looking glory!
            Attached Files
            Kelly @ Tree Devil Geckos
            Producing Awesome Leachianus geckos and Gargoyle geckos since 2017
            http://www.treedevilgeckos.com
            http://facebook.com/treedevilgeckos
            http://www.instagram.com/treedevilgeckos

Comment

A chameleon is definitely on my wish list, thanks tony, the more I look at the red ackies the more I'm intrigued, been looking at blue tree monitors for a future project so easing into the monitor realm with an ackie would be a good way to get a feel for them, can I see your ackie setup? The sudan plated lizard is something I've never seen before, I assume they're not a very common pet? Though they look pretty cool. And like I said no bearded dragons, here is why. I hate them, used to breed them and had my breeder male stomp his lady to death because apparently she said no. Not my cup of tea, I also find them stupid because they'll fight themselves in the glass.....

Comment

Ackies are freaking sweet, great size for a monitor and hardier than a cham.

It's a win-win situation if you can house either one!
                Coleonyx-Correlophus-Eurydactylodes-Mniarogekko-Paroedura-Phelsuma-Rhacodactylus
                ROC Geckos
                Geckos of Madagascar and New Caledonia

Comment

Plated lizards are fairly common. Just sorta depends on where you are I guess. I didn't know too much about them myself before I decided on adopting my big guy. They are great though!
                  Kelly @ Tree Devil Geckos
                  Producing Awesome Leachianus geckos and Gargoyle geckos since 2017
                  http://www.treedevilgeckos.com
                  http://facebook.com/treedevilgeckos
                  http://www.instagram.com/treedevilgeckos

Comment

Don't have any pic's of the set-up available at the moment, but it is essentially a 40g tank with a spot bulb, a long uvb (it's debatable as to whether this is truly necessary for them), a selection of obstacles to make hunting more interesting and a few VERY hardy plants. The key with ackies is they like to dig, they like a HOT spot (the surface temp at my basking spot is ~130F and ambient hot side is 90F) and the more room the better (40g is a bare minimum, I want to upgrade but need to move first). They are social to an extent, but I only have 1. I would love to have a group someday.

Pro-exotics has wonderful basic caresheets. I don't know about their availability from them after their recent fire but they are not terribly uncommon.

They will be more expensive right out of the box, but a $300 ackie that eats insects and grows to about 2ft with the tail is MUCH cheaper than say a $100 Savannah or larger monitor which will require custom built cages, and extraordinary amounts of food in the long term.
                    My reviews!
                    Arachnoboards
                    Fauna BOI

My iHerp
                    Facebook: Tiger Reptiles

Comment

I would say that a bearded dragon or an Ackie, both are notorious piggies
                      --Jeff--
                      1.0.0 E. Macularius - Ice (Super Snow) / 2.1.2 R. Ciliatus - Orion, Spidey, Pumpkin,Bernadette,Penny/0.1.0 R. auriculatus -(Red stripe) / 1.0.0 Testudo graeca / 0.1.0 Acanthosaura capra / 0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps

Comment

Tiger Cowboy is dead on! My red ackies are MONSTER's for the roaches, to the point that it's gross lol. I too am dreaming of tree monitors some day and took the ackies first route. Ackies are supposedly more aggressive and fight prone rather than flight which tree monitors are. But with handling and care you can get them calm enough to handle easily. I have 2 (still unsexed, they're tough to sex) that i've had for almost a year in a 60 gallon long with a ceramic heat emiter on one side and a spotlight on the other for basking spots of 110 degrees. I have slanted tree limbs on either side of each heat element to allow them to thermoregulate. I need to get serious and do a retes stack but haven't had the time yet.
                        Rhachic
                        www.goodlifeherps.weebly.com
                        specializing in rhacodactylus

Comment

I'd definitely go with ackie monitors (red or yellow) as well. Yellows tend to be smaller than reds and a little cheaper price wise, but both make great first time monitor pets. They're pretty social, and it's usually recommended to keep them in pairs or trios (but keeping one is just fine). They will definitely devour your roach colony haha.
                          Jake Karn
                          Trophy Rhacs
                          www.trophyrhacs.webs.com

Comment

Yeah any small monitor species would be perfect! Also you could sell some roaches here on pangea or give them to your friends at pangea like a previous poster recommended! Timors ackies and maybe a bosc but Im not sure if they eat dubia or just rodents cant remember at this moment what ever you get im sure it will be great!
                            PS im liking that sudan it looks pretty awesome!
                            2.1.1 Crested Geckos
                            Dios Ex Reptiles http://diosexreptiles.webs.com/

Comment

If you want smaller lizards (much smaller than Ackies) that are fast hunters look at the lacerta family.

Red Lacerta (Latastia longicaudata) are small but neat hunters but so many other lacerta types to pick from.

Comment

Working...
                              X