Croc Skink Interest - Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Croc Skink Interest - Help please

I keep seeing these guys and every single time I am fascinated by them. I'm sure one will be in my future at some point... The research begins! (I have literally just now decided the temptation to get one is enough to start looking for care sheets and information on the species.)

My only question right now is this: What are some things to look for in a quality croc skink? What are some defects or problems to watch out for?

If anyone has a care sheet and information page they can recommend, that would be great too, but I will also look on my own.

Let the fun begin!

I dont know much on the species but I see them at importers all the time so most available are wild caught. Stress,dehydration, and parasites are the issues most common with any wild caught animal. I think c.b is the way to go with this species but thats just my opinion.hope this helps a little...
    3.15.12(rhacodactylus auriculatus)
    1.1 High pink Brosse Leachianus
    1.1 GT Type A Leachianus Dark Morph
    1.1 Pine Isle Chahuoah
    1.1 Mainland Chahuoah Troeger Line
    .1 super sexy gorgeous girl friend

Comment

Originally posted by PICHISPYTHONS View Post
      I dont know much on the species but I see them at importers all the time so most available are wild caught. Stress,dehydration, and parasites are the issues most common with any wild caught animal. I think c.b is the way to go with this species but thats just my opinion.hope this helps a little...
      Yeah, I am trying to find a captive bred. I'm sure it will not be as easy as finding a wild caught. And it looks like I will be buying two since they are best kept in pairs or groups.

Comment

Try searching in skink forum classifieds,maybe u get lucky
        1.1 Pine Isle Chahuoah

Comment

there is one for sale in the trade section on here... its a neonate
          Travis Skaggs
          Crested- Gidian, Theodore, Hera
          Gargoyle- Sally Po
          Agricolae- Scoot

Comment

Originally posted by NorthTexasWilds View Post
            there is one for sale in the trade section on here... its a neonate
            What is neonate?

And is it true that as juvies they don't have the orange around their eyes yet?

Comment

Neonate=baby
              1.1 Pine Isle Chahuoah

Comment

I just purchased my Captive bred young pair this past Saturday.

Some things to watch out for is missing back scales and toes. These guys NEED humidity so if they are not provided this, they always have problems shedding. Usually this involves a loss of a back scale or fingers. They should always have a "wet" look to them.

Captive bred is always the way to go. My guys are eating crickets and you don't have to worry about problems associated with WC animals such as parasites or difficulty getting them to eat.

I've heard they are best kept in pairs. Bullying has been seen in double female pairs, double male pairs, but male and female pairs tend to co habitat well together.

No lights = for me!

Mine are on heat tape in a tupperware container with holes drilled. I used sphagnum moss as a substrate, have a shallow water dish, and pieces of cork bark for them to dig under. I mist them heavily every night (they both pop out and seem to enjoy the mist).
                Cloud9reptiles.com
                Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by ento890 View Post
                  I just purchased my Captive bred young pair this past Saturday.

Some things to watch out for is missing back scales and toes. These guys NEED humidity so if they are not provided this, they always have problems shedding. Usually this involves a loss of a back scale or fingers. They should always have a "wet" look to them.

Captive bred is always the way to go. My guys are eating crickets and you don't have to worry about problems associated with WC animals such as parasites or difficulty getting them to eat.

I've heard they are best kept in pairs. Bullying has been seen in double female pairs, double male pairs, but male and female pairs tend to co habitat well together.

No lights = for me!

Mine are on heat tape in a tupperware container with holes drilled. I used sphagnum moss as a substrate, have a shallow water dish, and pieces of cork bark for them to dig under. I mist them heavily every night (they both pop out and seem to enjoy the mist).
                  Thanks very much. I was happy you mentioned the double male or double female bullying. I was wondering that the most. I'll probably make a viv for them with a partial water section. But I have not decided fully when to make this step.

Your post and Emily's little guy for sale has tempted me.

Comment

Working...
                  X