No announcement yet.

Mourning Geckos - how many is too many?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mourning Geckos - how many is too many?

I've decided i'd like some mourning geckos for my planted viv at work - it will be a 12x12x18 viv.

1) how many mourning geckos should i start with?
    2) will they continue to have baby geckos until i need to find homes for some of them?
    - basically I am wondering if I need to come up with a mourning gecko rehoming plan should they reproduce beyond the capability of my exo-terra?
    Beth in Alaska
    1.0.0 Corgi (Pirate)
    1.0.0 Keeshond (Toklat)
    0.2.0 Guinea pigs (Chocolate and Lightning)
    1.0.0 Human (Ben aka The Monk)
    0.0.2 R. Auriculatus (Horrorcow & Ziggerastica)

At least two, though you could comfortably fit 4-6. Much more than that and it becomes hard for them to all find their own hiding places. When they lay eggs, you'll have to catch the kids when they hatch or they may end up as mourning munchies.
    ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
    7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Comment

but what do I DO with the babies? How often will they reproduce? Will i have mourning geckos coming out my ears?
      Beth in Alaska
      1.0.0 Corgi (Pirate)
      1.0.0 Keeshond (Toklat)

Comment

^If you can put the babies in a viv separate from the mommies (just to avoid the babies being eaten) and keep them until they're large enough and eating well enough that you're comfortable in selling them.

I've read that they lay eggs every 2-3 weeks, but I've also read more like once per month. Mine has yet to lay eggs (only had her a bit over a week, mind you).

And yes, everyone who I know (online, haha) that has Mourning Geckos has them crawlin out the wazoo. I can't wait until mine lays her first batch of eggs though. I'm very excited, and I already have a few people lined up ready to buy some babies. Just waiting on mommy now!

Comment

Well, sad as it is to say, a lot of the folks I know have them use them as feeder geckos.. That's one way to "get rid of them".. but personally, I'm more fond of, "List them for sale when they're established" so they don't get eaten. Learn about how to ship reptiles, these guys are definitely a fun species to have, and the more folk breeding and selling them, the more available they will become for hobbyists all over.

I started with a trio of subadult females back in October. They reached maturity and began laying eggs in January. So far I've had 4 kids hatch, and 11 more eggs in the incubator and/or incubating in their cork bark tunnel. I'm keeping them relatively cool(75*F ish) so both the females and the eggs are not overwhelming me. Babies are being kept in tall deli cups with 2-3 paper towels nice and damp, and a little cap with a single drop of crested gecko diet.
          7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Comment

or just keep the babies in there to hatch and mommies can keep their numbers in check.

They are one of those species although cute and fairly easy to care for, they are however cheap and easy to come by. And one thing to consider even if you do sell them, there are still people out there who ill buy them simply for food purposes for their other reptiles.
            lets just say I have a lot of stuff
            www.sublimereptiles.com
            Facebook
            BOI

Comment

thank you everyone.
              I might contact the local pet store and see if they would be interested in them.
              Beth in Alaska
              1.0.0 Corgi (Pirate)
              1.0.0 Keeshond (Toklat)

Comment

One way I've heard of to keep the species in check is to just not incubate the eggs.
                iHerp~Facebook~Tumblr

Comment

We have no eggs i can determine yet. We have lots of chirping and hiding spaces - lots of hollow tubes in the viv, so I am worried I will not be able to remove any eggs or babies.

Do you think if I hung film canisters up on the screen top they might be likely to lay in there? I have lots of hollow tubed wood in the background of the viv that is not removable.
                  Beth in Alaska
                  1.0.0 Corgi (Pirate)
                  1.0.0 Keeshond (Toklat)

Comment

Originally posted by imyourscar View Post
                    One way I've heard of to keep the species in check is to just not incubate the eggs.
                    Sound advice except that the eggs hatch right in the tank at room temp!
                    Mike
                    www.dragontownreptiles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dragontown View Post
                      Sound advice except that the eggs hatch right in the tank at room temp!
                      Yeah, but I mean take them out if you notice any, sillypants!
                      iHerp~Facebook~Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by imyourscar View Post
                        Yeah, but I mean take them out if you notice any, sillypants!
                        Preeeeeeetty much impossible, they are egg gluers. There is no removing the eggs where they are laid unless they detatch by chance(this is how I could incubate a couple outside of their parent enclosure) without risk of shattering them since they are so delicate.

Comment

Working...
                        X