Satanic leaf tailed geckos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satanic leaf tailed geckos?

Does anyone here own Satanic Leaf Tailed geckos? I'm thinking about Keeping and Possibly breeding some.
    I'd Like to start with the fact that I am already breeding Crested Geckos, so I fully understand the responsibility of breeding animals, I'm not planing to do it to get profit, more of a hobby.
    I've been looking up as much Information on these little guys as I can, and I understand the basic Husbandry of them.
    I just wanted to hear from people who keep these guys what they are like, and if anyone breeds them what breeding them is like. Do they like or can they be handled (for short periods or time). I've heard the are somewhat fragile is this true? Are they good eaters, do they do well housed with others (i've read they house well with others) any input would be great.

Thanks so much
    Cresteds2.3.0-Gargoyles1.0-Jungle Carpet Pythons1.0-Black Mexican Kingsnake1.0-Spider Ball Python 0.0.1 Cherry-Head Red-Footed Tortoise-1.0-Canine 0.1 Equine 0.1
    Website-->http://redfangreptiles.webs.com/ Facebook Page-->http://www.facebook.com/pages/Red-Fa...10313319034739 DeviantArt Page -->http://redfangreptiles.deviantart.com/

Satanics are one of the most delicate geckos to keep. Breeding them is not as simple as breeding cresteds. You have to get everything perfect. You have to mimic their breeding season.

We had a pair together for over two years, never a single fertile egg. Our female died last year (old age) and we got a new female. Still no eggs.

They are a very delicate gecko, strictly hands-off. They have to have their humidity just right in order to thrive. Once they start to go downhill, you can kiss them goodbye - no bringing them back to life. They can die for seemingly no reason.

You could definitely get one or two to try keeping, but I wouldn't even think of breeding until you've kept one alive for a while. No gecko species should ever be housed together. I think you need to do more research on these guys before you buy one. No one who keeps them seriously would ever say it's okay to keep them with another species.

If you are okay with spending a couple of hundred dollars to have a gecko that could come in with parasites and possibly die for no reason at all, then go ahead and get one. But they should not be handled and you should make sure you know exactly what they need before you get one. We've owned 3 total now and while I love them for their beauty, they are not an easy species to keep.
    Krystal

Gekkonidazed Geckos

Comment

I own some myself, and two other types. Hoping to breed, second year. No fertile eggies. they are short lived some 7 years I think. Wild caughts, you have no idea how old they are. there are some captive breed out there as well. very pretty, but delicate I have lost a couple due to ac malfunctions, can reall go above 78 very well. very neat critters.
      Roxanne
      and the zoo
      www.geckoluv.com

Comment

okay, Thanks you guys.
        The_Sneetch- Your info was Extremely helpful, It was really nice to hear info straight form someone who has tried breeding and has been keeping them. Though It does make me sad to hear how fragile these little guys.

I believe with this Info I probably not be getting these little guys soon. Although They are still so pretty, maybe some time in the future......
        Cresteds2.3.0-Gargoyles1.0-Jungle Carpet Pythons1.0-Black Mexican Kingsnake1.0-Spider Ball Python 0.0.1 Cherry-Head Red-Footed Tortoise-1.0-Canine 0.1 Equine 0.1
        Website-->http://redfangreptiles.webs.com/ Facebook Page-->http://www.facebook.com/pages/Red-Fa...10313319034739 DeviantArt Page -->http://redfangreptiles.deviantart.com/

Comment

Andrew and Sarah Gilpin at LAC Herps breed them.
          1.2.0 Crested Geckos: Julian, Libby, & Zest
          0.0.1 Northern Blue Tongue Skink: Chewy
          1.1.0 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels: Mel and Lanie
          "Google safe search is like a condom for your brain." - Dr. Raymond Clemens

Comment

I tried breeding them for a few years and had some SMALL success. We had 2 eggs hatch but the babies would not shed and died. I have heard of many people having this same problem with them... if they can even get good eggs. I plan on trying again once I can find some CB ones for sale. All the ones I tried in the past has been WC and that could have been part of the problem or it could have been that I was in a very warm area. They are very interesting animals but very delicate.

If you want to try it I suggest getting a colony of isopods going as well as some springtails. The isopods are great feeders for them. Set up a bio active tank so you dont have to clean it. Mine loved the 'china doll' plants I put in the tanks, I highly recommend them. Any handling can be stressful so the less you have to take them out of the tank the better.

Hope that helps a little.
            Sarah & Jake
            LunarGecko.net
            Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
            You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Comment

There definitely delicate, but so are a lot of geckos. I only take mine out to weigh them every two weeks or when they look gravid. Taking them out is not really a good thing, I mean if you watch the way they hunt (and the way all leaf tails hunt from what I've observed) they pounce at there prey even from a far so in the wild I imagine they would execute this from some height relative to there size, I guess what I'm trying to say is if you pick them up wrong you could hurt them but if they jump from your hand to the rug (and they will jump away from you as quickly as they can) it probably wont hurt them.

I'm going to pre-face this next part by saying that this is not criticizing anyone in this thread or other threads either it's just my personal opinion on the subject I could be wrong.

I've had my current satanics for a while and when I was a teenager I had some as well. As long as you put the time in there really not that hard. humidity, temp, feeding appropriately, it's pretty straight forward plus there's tons of good info on care out there. You just want to keep a hands off eye on them for any suspicious going ons with them. By hands off I mean watch but don't pull them out and check them over. Theres so many threads on many different forums discussing how hard they are that it could make a person a little paranoid and over think the actual heath of your gecko. Yes they can come in with parasites and dehydrated and kidney problems ect. and because of there size these factors are tough on the little guys but at the same time these are issues with all wild caught geckos. Also you don't have to pay a ton for them I got a pair in October for 130, the male was dehydrated and died a few days after but the female is huge, super healthy and drops good eggs for me. My other 2 we a little thin when I got them but some reptical, gut load and some good misting sessions straightened them out real quick. Some times you end up with a gonner but again this can hold true with most wc geckos. My advice on buying them would be either get captive breed ones or wait until another big shipment comes in and go to a show real early so you can sort threw them at different booths and pick out some healthy ones. I wouldn't buy WC online, that would be a real gamble.
              As far a breeding goes, if your committed to giving them the care they need, I think it would be great for you to take a stab at it. Yea they may be tough to breed and rear but we have literally 1000's of fresh imports coming in every year with a large percent of them dieing I think it's very strange how often people discourage people from trying to breed them. If you expect to get 4 fertile clutches a year and 8 healthy baby satanics hatch and survive, then ok maybe you'll be disappointed. But the worst that could happen is they don't breed or give you fertile eggs and your left with some really amazing beautiful geckos that you can watch and enjoy and give a good home to (maybe not as good as they previous one but unfortunate we both know their not going back to it). I aware that I just referenced how many die that that come in each year but I'm saying it in the context of people who are not willing to put the time in or haven't done there research ending up with them not some one who has done all there homework. Anyway thats my two cents hope it was more helpful then confusing.

-Matt

Uroplatus - 1.0 Fimbriatus / 1.1.3 Henkeli/ 3.3 Phantasticus / 1.1 Ebenaui
              Rhacodactylus - 0.0.1 Leachianus / 1.1 ciliatus/ 0.0.1 auriculatus / 1.0 Eurydactylodes agricolae
              Goniosaurus Hainanensis 1.3 / Hemitheconyx Caudicinctus 9 amel 3 het amel /1.0 Nephrurus wheeleri/ 0.0.2 Teratoscincus Roborowski / Underwoodisaurus milii
              1.0 Cyrtodactylus irianjayaensis / 0.1 Aeluroscalabotes felinus / 1.0 Gekko Gecko

Comment

They have to have their humidity just right in order to thrive. Once they start to go downhill, you can kiss them goodbye - no bringing them back to life. They can die for seemingly no reason????
                == Chess ==

Comment

I kept Phantasticus for a couple years, and was lucky to be successful in acclimating WC adults and reproducing them in captivity.

They are an incredible species, but very difficult.

I found the best way to keep them in a good place, health wise, was to keep them in the high 60's to low 70's as far as temperature, and keep humidity relatively high. They also like a very well planted vivarium.

All the best,

Armen Shahrigian

Comment

Working...
                  X