Look what I found...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look what I found...

This weekend I was visiting my boyfriend in Norman, OK (he goes to OU) and since the Tulsa reptile show was 2 hours away, we decided to hit a couple of pet stores. Anyways, I was completely amazed that Petco carried a Leaf Tailed gecko. Has anyone else seen one in a major pet store? Here are the quick pics I snapped...

Ok, now this guy is labeled as Henkeli...but I thought it was a U. Lineatus. Which is right?? I was also curious as to who bred this, or if it was WC, but there seemed to be a lack of employees around. This Petco also had Emerald Swift lizards and some other different reptiles not at the normal ones in Texas.

Lineatus forsure mostlikely WC

Comment

We usually hit up all petcos wherever we go, and I've never seen a leaftail.

I definitely agree with Jeff that it's a lineatus.
      Krystal

Gekkonidazed Geckos

Comment

good freaking lord, I would say buy it just to save it frolm being there, but then it is feeding the vicious cycle!
        lets just say I have a lot of stuff
        www.sublimereptiles.com
        Facebook
        BOI

Comment

Wow. That is surprising. Maybe someone who works there is trying to sell off part of his/her collection? We have that going on at a PetSupermarket. They are always selling weird stuff because one of the employees is a reptile keeper.
          Currently working with R. ciliatus

Comment

Originally posted by Lauren and Hunter View Post
            Wow. That is surprising. Maybe someone who works there is trying to sell off part of his/her collection? We have that going on at a PetSupermarket. They are always selling weird stuff because one of the employees is a reptile keeper.
            That's pretty surprising that a store would let someone do that, IMO. Maybe not to anyone else...lol.
            I just couldn't believe some of the critters they had. Their reptile section was REALLY nice, like 2 full rows of reptiles. I was looking around to see if they had any gargs, but man, if I had the money I would have snatched one of the leaf tails because there were 2 in there. Not to mention they were in one of those TINY enclosures and not really much of climbing/hiding areas. The swifts they had were about twice the size of a crested, and there were I think 3 in another small enclosure. I have to admit, very clean tanks...but very small.

Comment

our petco has a emerald swift aswell but not a leaf-tail
              Crested Geckos 1.1.2.2
              0.1 hamster
              1.2 pekingnese,bulldog, and Doberman Pinscher
              0.1 Green checked conure 2.0 cats 0.1 Tangerine x blood bearded dragon 1.0 holland lop bunny

Comment

Originally posted by Heatheri004 View Post
                That's pretty surprising that a store would let someone do that, IMO. Maybe not to anyone else...lol.
                I just couldn't believe some of the critters they had. Their reptile section was REALLY nice, like 2 full rows of reptiles. I was looking around to see if they had any gargs, but man, if I had the money I would have snatched one of the leaf tails because there were 2 in there. Not to mention they were in one of those TINY enclosures and not really much of climbing/hiding areas. The swifts they had were about twice the size of a crested, and there were I think 3 in another small enclosure. I have to admit, very clean tanks...but very small.
                Well we all know that not all stores follow the rules. There are a lot of things they aren't supposed to do, but that doesn't mean that none of them do it.

There was another store in one of my local malls that had the same thing going on. One of the guys working there had a burmese baby of his up for sale through the shop (and he told me it was his, so it wasn't a hunch). It horrified me that a burmese python could be up for sale in a mall.

It's kind of surprising how expensive of animals these chains sell sometimes. Is the average person really going to want to drop $150 on a pet? It just doesn't seem like trying to sell such expensive animals would work in their favor.
                Currently working with R. ciliatus

Comment

Yes, it is U. lineatus..

If it is indeed WC the price is a little high, but that's petstore markups for you.

I give it 2 weeks, sadly.

Comment

Yeah i don't think that gecko is gonna last to long. When I have to buy something from one of the chains I just don't look at the reptiles anymore.
                    -Charles Mullen
                    I'm looking for really nice chahoua.

Comment

That's just amazing.
                      We're gonna need a bigger boat.

Comment

Working...
                      X