Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melissa N.
    replied
    P.S. I think someone ought to start a new thread titled: "Expanding Interests" or
    something like that ; )
    This has been interesting, and educational. Who would have thought one little
    E. Agricolae would start a larger discussion! mn

Leave a comment:

• Melissa N.
    replied
    Wow Mike, how neat about your pair coming soon! Hope you'll post photos.

I was surprised about the turn this thread took, but, like you say, I'm glad it
    stayed civil, and your post was very thoughtful. Thank you. melissa n.

Leave a comment:

• sciteacher
    replied
    Originally posted by sushigex View Post
    I would like to add that I'm kind of tired of such a small market for anything "different". I have reservations for taking on a lot of species as I worry about selling or trading their offspring.
    I hear you. There are a lot of species I'd like to try in the future, but I do have to ask myself the question of "If I'm successful, will I be able to sell the offspring?" I was lucky enough to put together a nice breeding group of Geckonia chazalia (helmeted geckos) a few years ago. Last year I had some decent success producing more of them, hatching out about 25 babies. It was really nice that there was a demand that far outpaced availability. I have a waiting list that I still haven't been able to fill. There are probably lots of other species just as "cool" where it might be very hard to "give away" 25 babies.

Originally posted by Dragontown View Post
    I never thought I'd like any small geckos but handling the agricolae made an instant impression and that's all it took.
    I thought I was used to "small geckos" after hatching out Eurydactylodes agricolae and helmeted geckos. Then I bought a couple of hatchling Gonatodes vittatus That's a whole 'nother level of tiny LOL... and they had more than a month of growth on them before I got them.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• sciteacher
    replied
    Great post Mike,

For me, I need to keep adding something new to keep the hobby interesting for myself. It doesn't mean I find any of the species I've kept and bred for years any less interesting, but the challenge of learning about new species and successfully breeding them keeps things fresh and interesting.

This spring I added 4 new species... Oedura castelnaui, Gonatodes vittatus, Chondrodactylus angulifer, and Pristurus carteri. The first 2 species were kind of a "whim" because the price was right, and then I found the Chondros and Pristurus which have been on my "wanted list" for a long time and couldn't resist picking them up as well. Most years I only add a couple new species.

I also agree that a new thread might take this discussion a little further. I'd write more, but don't have the time at the moment. Sorry for continuing to take your thread further off topic Melissa.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• Dragontown
    replied
    Wow.... ok first things first... I actually inquired about that guy that Gary sold to you and he simply didn't update his website quickly enough. Already sold. Well good thing for me because I then scored a proven breeding pair from John at LI Reptiles and will be picking them up next weekend. The bonus is that the female laid her first clutch last week so I should have eggs in about two weeks after I get them.

I'm excited to branch out from cresteds though my focus is still with rhacs. I don't think crested "haters" exist on this site... if you take the time to breed and care for reptiles, then maybe you'll pick favorites but I can't see anyone coming here and spewing crested hatred (I think us mods would put a stop to it if we saw that). As in all facets of life, people will have opinions and no one can lay out the definitive "cool" list for anyone else. Heck, I worked with a few critters before settling where I have been... and am now becoming more diverse. Experience is key... I never thought I'd like any small geckos but handling the agricolae made an instant impression and that's all it took.

I think it is odd how a "Look at my cool new gecko" thread has morphed into a debate on what's cooler than what. As a mod, I'm glad it is still a civil post. As a mod and crested keeper, I don't want to see any thread that is focused on downplaying cresteds.... but as a keeper and enthusiast and heck, as a mod as well, I would love to see a thread talking about what everyone keeps that's cool and WHY. That, my friends is how we all learn and find more to enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• sushigex
    replied
    Yeah for me cresteds are quite vanilla as they say...granted vanilla is still a flavor I very much enjoy. There are a lot of different new species I have went to, but I can't really ever see the day that I don't have at least a pair of cresteds around.

John kind of touched on it, but I would like to add that I'm kind of tired of such a small market for anything "different". I have reservations for taking on a lot of species as I worry about selling or trading their offspring. And I sincerely mean this in the sense of a hobby, I will never need to rely on geckos to pay my bills. There are just so many cool geckos out there that I wish more people would check out. Eury's rock btw!

Leave a comment:

• John_Woodward
    replied
    melissa i would love to see pictures of him, when did you purchase him and from who? i may be able to find you some baby shots as i have photographed almost all 200 + cresteds i produced over the years, lol. let me know when and where you post it and i will be sure to check it out.

Leave a comment:

• Dagan
    replied
    Dare I ask whether someone might create a "better than cresteds" thread? I'm curious to know more about these other species.

Beautiful lizard, by the way. Very interesting textures.

Leave a comment:

• Melissa N.
    replied
    Thanks for the invite Harold, I will check out the Bavayia again. I think I looked at a
    photo posted about them, but really don't know anything about them.
    I do understand about people getting into other species. It seems common among
    people interested in reptiles and amphibians. I appreciate all of the care put into
    perpetuating other species as well.
    By the way John Woodward, I have a Crested Gecko bred by you, but I picked him
    up from another breeder. He's a very nice Lavender full Pinstripe that I call Buddy.
    Though this thread took a veer... I appreciate learning and eveyone's input. melissa n.
    mn

Leave a comment:

• John_Woodward
    replied
    Nice post harold.. guess i can be included with those that have branched out and i mean, i dont hate people for still liking cresteds, my only thing is that i feel that they dont get a real feel for what is really out their in this hobby by having things so centered around one species. I kinda make it my goal to learn as much as i can about every species i run into.. so that im not one sitting there asking " whats that" like i have gotten many times on this forum and others. I definately agree with bavayia.. although they arent everyones forte, i love mine dearly and have really had them grow on me over the years, just like phelsuma.

Leave a comment:

• Earfarmer
    replied
    Thanks for clarifiing Harold. I was under the assumption that all members of this site were crested friendly.(not sure where I would have got that idea from) I can't wait to learn more first hand on this species(e. agricolae), I recently aquired the cluchmate to the one on this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Haroldo
    replied
    Originally posted by Earfarmer View Post
    I wasn't attacking "Jeff", and I'm sure not going to look up his history on this site. Just because I don't have hundreds of posts doesn't meen I haven't been reading stuff around here or am not familiar with other species of geckos.
    My reply had nothing to do with a presupposed "attack" of some sort...I was simply pointing out the fact that he (like many of us here) have been members on this forum for 4 years or longer. For a lot of us, that time has allowed us time to specialize in other geckos and move away from rhacodactylus-centered breeding efforts (the reason we might have joined in the first place). If you take a look up at the title of this site it reads "The Pangea Forums - Crested Geckos & More". As far as I remember this site has always had a host of members that kept no crested geckos and some that had kept them, but moved on. If you think my reply was about post-counts (which some newbies manage to triple-digit up in a matter of months) or a defense of some sort, then you missed the meat of my post. While the owner/founder of this site is a crested gecko breeder and this is mostly set up to support like-minded keepers, even Matt doesn't only keep cresteds .

Now back to your regularly scheduled Eurydactylodes broadcast.
    Again Melissa nice Eury. They are certainly a different take on geckos from New Caledonia. I invite you to check out Bavayia species (also from there)...another neat genus.

Leave a comment:

• Rhacsetc08
    replied
    Very good lookin' little guy!
    I'm glad you finally have the chance to work with these guys, I'm sure you'll enjoy them .

Leave a comment:

• Earfarmer
    replied
    [QUOTE=
    If you look up his history on this site, you see he's (Jeff aka SGVReptiles) been around for a long time. Many of us have moved on from "Crested-centered" breeding projects to more diverse collections. In any case, you'd be surprised how many members here aren't crested lovers...[/QUOTE]

I can understand moving on from a "centered" project. I have never had a crested centered collection...leachie centered definitely! I just like the simplicity of cresteds, or rhacs in general. I wasn't attacking "Jeff", and I'm sure not going to look up his history on this site. Just because I don't have hundreds of posts doesn't meen I haven't been reading stuff around here or am not familiar with other species of geckos.

Leave a comment:

• Melissa N.
    replied
    ....I had no idea there were people on this forum who didn't like Crested Geckos,
    but I guess there is something for everyone. I can see too how people can get
    into other species and continue their search and interest. Quite a challenge, I think.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X