E. Agricolae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great post Mike,

For me, I need to keep adding something new to keep the hobby interesting for myself. It doesn't mean I find any of the species I've kept and bred for years any less interesting, but the challenge of learning about new species and successfully breeding them keeps things fresh and interesting.

This spring I added 4 new species... Oedura castelnaui, Gonatodes vittatus, Chondrodactylus angulifer, and Pristurus carteri. The first 2 species were kind of a "whim" because the price was right, and then I found the Chondros and Pristurus which have been on my "wanted list" for a long time and couldn't resist picking them up as well. Most years I only add a couple new species.

I also agree that a new thread might take this discussion a little further. I'd write more, but don't have the time at the moment. Sorry for continuing to take your thread further off topic Melissa.

Gary
    Gary Hamann
    Ridge and Valley Reptiles

www.ridgeandvalleyreptiles.com

Comment

Originally posted by sushigex View Post
      I would like to add that I'm kind of tired of such a small market for anything "different". I have reservations for taking on a lot of species as I worry about selling or trading their offspring.
      I hear you. There are a lot of species I'd like to try in the future, but I do have to ask myself the question of "If I'm successful, will I be able to sell the offspring?" I was lucky enough to put together a nice breeding group of Geckonia chazalia (helmeted geckos) a few years ago. Last year I had some decent success producing more of them, hatching out about 25 babies. It was really nice that there was a demand that far outpaced availability. I have a waiting list that I still haven't been able to fill. There are probably lots of other species just as "cool" where it might be very hard to "give away" 25 babies.

Originally posted by Dragontown View Post
      I never thought I'd like any small geckos but handling the agricolae made an instant impression and that's all it took.
      I thought I was used to "small geckos" after hatching out Eurydactylodes agricolae and helmeted geckos. Then I bought a couple of hatchling Gonatodes vittatus That's a whole 'nother level of tiny LOL... and they had more than a month of growth on them before I got them.

Gary
      Gary Hamann
      Ridge and Valley Reptiles

www.ridgeandvalleyreptiles.com

Comment

Wow Mike, how neat about your pair coming soon! Hope you'll post photos.

I was surprised about the turn this thread took, but, like you say, I'm glad it
        stayed civil, and your post was very thoughtful. Thank you. melissa n.

Comment

P.S. I think someone ought to start a new thread titled: "Expanding Interests" or
          something like that ; )
          This has been interesting, and educational. Who would have thought one little
          E. Agricolae would start a larger discussion! mn

Comment

Working...
          X