E. Agricolae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SGVreptiles View Post
    Pretty much every other species of gecko are cooler then cresteds.
    Then why are you on a crested forum if you dislike them so much?

Comment

Originally posted by sciteacher View Post
      Who's to decide what's "cool"? It's a pretty subjective term. I agree that there are a whole lot of other species that deserve more attention than what they get, but just because crested geckos or leopard geckos are now very common doesn't make them any less "cool" than they were when they were new to the hobby and were selling for large sums of money. Rarity doesn't necessarily translate directly to "cool" in my opinion.

I keep somewhere between 15 - 20 different species of geckos (which reminds me I have about 4 or 5 species I have to get added to my website if I can ever find the time), and I still find my crested geckos some of the more attractive and interesting geckos I keep... not to mention that they primarily "pay the gecko bills" around here. I'll always keep a place for crested geckos in my collection.

Gary
      Who decides what is cool, has always been and will always be ME!

I think you're on the tip of an interesting subject that should be started in a new thread Gary .

Originally posted by Earfarmer View Post
      Then why are you on a crested forum if you dislike them so much?
      If you look up his history on this site, you see he's (Jeff aka SGVReptiles) been around for a long time. Many of us have moved on from "Crested-centered" breeding projects to more diverse collections. In any case, you'd be surprised how many members here aren't crested lovers...
      -Harold
      CC Herps http://www.ccherps.com

Coming soon...

www.versatilevivariums.com

Comment

I'm glad for the comments on the agricolae. He is very interesting. I also agree
        that an interest in certain species is very subjective. I love the Crested Geckos and I
        have Leos whom I love too, along with Reed Frogs, a scorpion, and one tarantula.
        I also have a small colony of male Crested Geckos that have lived together for 3 years. Along with that is a group of females that live together. There is something
        about the enjoyment of watching them that I haven't gotten tired of, and don't think
        I will.
        For me, the Cresteds are truly a species I enjoy, and I realize others branch out
        to other species, etc. The Agricolae is branching out for me <g>. I love all animals,
        and once a reptile nut, always a reptile nut (at least in my case).
        Thanks again for the comments, and thanks again Gary. melissa n.

Comment

Originally posted by Haroldo View Post
          Who decides what is cool, has always been and will always be ME!
          Well, you do have some very cool species... no doubt about it
          Gary Hamann
          Ridge and Valley Reptiles

www.ridgeandvalleyreptiles.com

Comment

....I had no idea there were people on this forum who didn't like Crested Geckos,
            but I guess there is something for everyone. I can see too how people can get
            into other species and continue their search and interest. Quite a challenge, I think.

Comment

[QUOTE=
              If you look up his history on this site, you see he's (Jeff aka SGVReptiles) been around for a long time. Many of us have moved on from "Crested-centered" breeding projects to more diverse collections. In any case, you'd be surprised how many members here aren't crested lovers...[/QUOTE]

I can understand moving on from a "centered" project. I have never had a crested centered collection...leachie centered definitely! I just like the simplicity of cresteds, or rhacs in general. I wasn't attacking "Jeff", and I'm sure not going to look up his history on this site. Just because I don't have hundreds of posts doesn't meen I haven't been reading stuff around here or am not familiar with other species of geckos.

Comment

Very good lookin' little guy!
                I'm glad you finally have the chance to work with these guys, I'm sure you'll enjoy them .

Comment

Originally posted by Earfarmer View Post
                  I wasn't attacking "Jeff", and I'm sure not going to look up his history on this site. Just because I don't have hundreds of posts doesn't meen I haven't been reading stuff around here or am not familiar with other species of geckos.
                  My reply had nothing to do with a presupposed "attack" of some sort...I was simply pointing out the fact that he (like many of us here) have been members on this forum for 4 years or longer. For a lot of us, that time has allowed us time to specialize in other geckos and move away from rhacodactylus-centered breeding efforts (the reason we might have joined in the first place). If you take a look up at the title of this site it reads "The Pangea Forums - Crested Geckos & More". As far as I remember this site has always had a host of members that kept no crested geckos and some that had kept them, but moved on. If you think my reply was about post-counts (which some newbies manage to triple-digit up in a matter of months) or a defense of some sort, then you missed the meat of my post. While the owner/founder of this site is a crested gecko breeder and this is mostly set up to support like-minded keepers, even Matt doesn't only keep cresteds .

Now back to your regularly scheduled Eurydactylodes broadcast.
                  Again Melissa nice Eury. They are certainly a different take on geckos from New Caledonia. I invite you to check out Bavayia species (also from there)...another neat genus.
                  -Harold
                  CC Herps http://www.ccherps.com

Coming soon...

www.versatilevivariums.com

Comment

Thanks for clarifiing Harold. I was under the assumption that all members of this site were crested friendly.(not sure where I would have got that idea from) I can't wait to learn more first hand on this species(e. agricolae), I recently aquired the cluchmate to the one on this thread.

Comment

Nice post harold.. guess i can be included with those that have branched out and i mean, i dont hate people for still liking cresteds, my only thing is that i feel that they dont get a real feel for what is really out their in this hobby by having things so centered around one species. I kinda make it my goal to learn as much as i can about every species i run into.. so that im not one sitting there asking " whats that" like i have gotten many times on this forum and others. I definately agree with bavayia.. although they arent everyones forte, i love mine dearly and have really had them grow on me over the years, just like phelsuma.

Comment

Thanks for the invite Harold, I will check out the Bavayia again. I think I looked at a
                        photo posted about them, but really don't know anything about them.
                        I do understand about people getting into other species. It seems common among
                        people interested in reptiles and amphibians. I appreciate all of the care put into
                        perpetuating other species as well.
                        By the way John Woodward, I have a Crested Gecko bred by you, but I picked him
                        up from another breeder. He's a very nice Lavender full Pinstripe that I call Buddy.
                        Though this thread took a veer... I appreciate learning and eveyone's input. melissa n.
                        mn

Comment

Dare I ask whether someone might create a "better than cresteds" thread? I'm curious to know more about these other species.

Beautiful lizard, by the way. Very interesting textures.
                          Dagan. Illumination Exotics Facebook. iHerp. Artwork.
                          ~Illumination Exotics~

Comment

melissa i would love to see pictures of him, when did you purchase him and from who? i may be able to find you some baby shots as i have photographed almost all 200 + cresteds i produced over the years, lol. let me know when and where you post it and i will be sure to check it out.

Comment

Yeah for me cresteds are quite vanilla as they say...granted vanilla is still a flavor I very much enjoy. There are a lot of different new species I have went to, but I can't really ever see the day that I don't have at least a pair of cresteds around.

John kind of touched on it, but I would like to add that I'm kind of tired of such a small market for anything "different". I have reservations for taking on a lot of species as I worry about selling or trading their offspring. And I sincerely mean this in the sense of a hobby, I will never need to rely on geckos to pay my bills. There are just so many cool geckos out there that I wish more people would check out. Eury's rock btw!
                              -Charles Mullen
                              I'm looking for really nice chahoua.

Comment

Wow.... ok first things first... I actually inquired about that guy that Gary sold to you and he simply didn't update his website quickly enough. Already sold. Well good thing for me because I then scored a proven breeding pair from John at LI Reptiles and will be picking them up next weekend. The bonus is that the female laid her first clutch last week so I should have eggs in about two weeks after I get them.

I'm excited to branch out from cresteds though my focus is still with rhacs. I don't think crested "haters" exist on this site... if you take the time to breed and care for reptiles, then maybe you'll pick favorites but I can't see anyone coming here and spewing crested hatred (I think us mods would put a stop to it if we saw that). As in all facets of life, people will have opinions and no one can lay out the definitive "cool" list for anyone else. Heck, I worked with a few critters before settling where I have been... and am now becoming more diverse. Experience is key... I never thought I'd like any small geckos but handling the agricolae made an instant impression and that's all it took.

I think it is odd how a "Look at my cool new gecko" thread has morphed into a debate on what's cooler than what. As a mod, I'm glad it is still a civil post. As a mod and crested keeper, I don't want to see any thread that is focused on downplaying cresteds.... but as a keeper and enthusiast and heck, as a mod as well, I would love to see a thread talking about what everyone keeps that's cool and WHY. That, my friends is how we all learn and find more to enjoy!
                                Mike
                                www.dragontownreptiles.com

Comment

Working...
                                X